Venison Meatloaves Compared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venison Meatloaves Compared

First off I have to agree with some of the other folks that if you haven't had a smoked meatloaf you are missing out on a wonderful thing.
    Since this was my first smoked one and I was going to use venison, I had all the usual questions about taste and moisture so I made two of them so that I could compare.

The first was made with a pound of venison (all mine is "pure" venison and is not mixed with anything else) and a pound of regular sausage. The second was made with 2 pounds of venison.

I started out with 2 bowls and 2 cups for dry stuff so that I could make them identical except for the meat. First off I added 2 eggs and 3/4 cup of skim milk.

Mixed it up fairly well, more than I do for scrambled eggs or omelets for example.

Next, I stirred in the dry ingredients.
    1/2 cup of Panko breadcrumbs
    1/2 cup onions
    1/4 cup green peppers
    5-6 shakes of dry parsley
    1 tsp kosher salt
    2 tsp diced garlic
    1/2 tsp ground sage
    1/4 tsp black pepper

Time to "skin" the meats. One sausage and 3 venison.

I put the meat into the bowls and folded in the ingredients until mixed pretty well. Then I formed them into loaf-like shapes on parchment paper. The paper let me move them to the smoker more easily, and it let me sort of push it against the edges of the meat to help support it while it smoked since I didn't want to use a pan to get the most smoke on it I could. Venison/sausage is on the left, all venison on the right.

I smoked at about 250-270 and when it hit 160 internal (about 2 hours) I added the glaze, made up of 1/4 cup ketchup, 2 TBL brown sugar and 1 tsp dry mustard on each loaf. It took another half hour of stomach rumbling for them to get to 165. Again, venison/sausage is on the left, all venison on the right.

Here they are resting and getting ready to cut. Mix is on left, all venison on right still.

Ready to eat! The venison/sausage slice is in front, all venison in the back. Along with it we had my wife's broccoli salad and a spicy dill.

Our conclusion is that the combo had a bit more flavor and stayed a bit more moist. The venison was still plenty moist, just not as much as the sausage mix. Both had great flavor. Next time I'll add even more garlic and onion because we're addicts and can't get enough!

I've had a couple of cold meatloaf sandwiches so far and I'll need a couple more before I can pick the winner of the leftovers contest. But since the venison will be slightly less fat and calories, I guess that should be the winner. Congratulations!

Great Thread and POINTS on reload. Smoked Meatloaf is Awesome.
    sigpic

Comment

both look great., meat loaf sammies are always a hit.
      sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
      nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

They look great and I also do meat balls in the smoker. They take like 20 minutes to do. I use an ice cream scoop to keep them uniform. For the all venison loaf try a little more fat. As mix would have more fat from the sausage. My venison was usually 90/10 from the butcher so when I make sausage I usually add more fat to get to 70/30 mix or a little leaner.
        If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
        Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

I'm guessing that the sausage/venison loaf was a bit more moist due to the fat from the sausage? for a great post & side by side comparison.
          sigpic
          New Braunfels Bandera
          New Braunfels Hondo
          4-22.5" Weber Kettles
          1-26" Weber Kettle
          24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
          Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Nice experiment and awesome looking meatloaves. I like the sound of the sage in them. I might have to give that a try next time I make one!
            Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
            Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
            1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
            Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
            Weber Smokey Joe
            Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
            Pink Thermapen
            Purple Thermapen

Comment

Very nice post!! Thanks for sharing. My venison burger gets 10 percent beef suet(fat). I think it needs a bit of fat.
              Keith

Comment

Great experiment and post.....Thanks...

Comment

Just think, there are thousands of scientist that did experiments today, I bet none of them got to eat theirs and decide which one was more delicious.
                  great work and great step by step. Thanx.
                  JT

Comment

I'm giving for the scientific method employed in this trial. Bravo!
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                    X