How many butts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many butts?

How many 6 to 8 pound butts can you do on a UDS at once? i am thinking somewhere between 8 and 10 will fit, but am not sure. I am about to build 2 of them, both with dome lids. I want to use them pretty exclusively for butts to start with (doing a scout fundraiser). Any input would be appreciated.
    Avid Meatatarian
    Remember, it's not just a choice, its a lifestyle!

IF you're doing 2 racks, I would think you could do five 7 pounders per rack

Comment

Don't crowd the racks to much, cause the drum suffers from poor air movement if yall load the racks clear full. I usually do bout 4 ta a rack.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by travcoman45 View Post
        Don't crowd the racks to much, cause the drum suffers from poor air movement if yall load the racks clear full. I usually do bout 4 ta a rack.
        What Tip said. Although I've never done more than two. I did notice the need for increased air when I loaded up the top rack with ribs.

Also be careful about two really full racks of butts. That's a lot of fat dripping into the coals. I've read of folks over at the Brethren practically putting their fire out because of too much dripping fat in the coals from a super loaded double rack UDS.

Dave
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I am planning on trimming most of the fat cap to help with drippage. I think I might try a reflector plate over the coals or something like that as well.

Thanks for the help. looks like 4 to a rack it is.
          Avid Meatatarian
          Remember, it's not just a choice, its a lifestyle!

Comment

Working...
          X