wood question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood question

I have a wood question. Plan for the 500 gallon smoker is to use split oak, hickory and maybe maple. We have a guy that rents part of the lot our business at. He buys old skids and rebuilds them. He has alot of oak skids not treated just oak cut into 2x4a and some 2x3s. He also said he has alot at his house that are weathered and would be great for fires.
    Can I use them to smoke meat and such or is it a bad idea. I know the ones on site are clean and not molded or anything. Unsure about the weathered ones.

Also when using logs do I need to remove the bark before tossing them on the fire.

well the free oak ect sounds great. I would not use it to smoke nor would I use it to cook with. But my fire pits and fire places OH HELL YES I WOULD.
    the reason being you do not know what has been hauled on the crates,skids and pallets.
    they could have sat in a ware house being sprayed with bug killer every month, used to haul old batterys, fertilizer, even ole septic tank hose could have been coiled on them.
    would not take the chance.
    as for bark removal, some do some do not, seems the larger the smoker and fire box a waste of time. I have a lang 60 and I have been removing the bark lately, Pain in the back side fer sure. but it is easy and just realy time consuming. the more seasoned the wood the easier it comes off and the only thing I realy have to worry/work with is pecan wood.
    and for most I believe personal perferance. other will chime in and you can sort it out.
    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

I"m with my southern friend, I wouldn't smoke with them pallets fer the reasons he stated. Use em fer fire wood yes.

I don't take bark off lessin it's fallen off on it's own. Sorta a personal choice I beleive.
      sigpic

Comment

We have grilled over pallet wood, but it's a known source. Generally- I'd not use it unless you know for sure it's clean...and not had anything bad spilled on it. It DOES work well...burns hot- and fairly quick as you'd expect from planed oak.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

ok so a no no on the smoking with them. Not to big of a deal. I know a local wood cutter who will deliver oak or what ever he has for 35 to 45 a rick.

Ofcourse he can keep the pine. Can not wait to fire this thing up. Thinking about getting it togather soon since the local metal shop will cut to lenth any metal I buy for 15 to 20 bucks a sheet I see no reason to wait untill I get my plasma cutter this summer or early fall. Since I am going with a new trailer only cutting I will be doing is the door and for the reverse flow setup inside.

THANKS A TON FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS. THINKING I NEED TO NAME IT THE SMOKED MEAT SMOKER

Comment

Working...
          X