This will be the new smoker, but I have a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This will be the new smoker, but I have a few questions

The restaurant my Brother works for had a reach in cooler that the servers used to keep their salads and plates and dressings in, well being 12 years old and repaired several times they finally decided to get a new one and he told them he was taking the old one to turn into a smoker.
    Well here is the beast...

Ripped the compressor off the top, going to remove all the insulation (it's foam) and replace with high temp insulation.

I have a few questions for you fine folks who may be able to help me.

I was thinking charcoal but my Brother wants to do it propane, I told him that's fine just as long as it's not too big an area to heat properly with a propane tank.

Internal area is
    59" tall
    24" wide (already has racks that are 21 1/2")
    28 1/2" deep.

All the metal is good inside, I'll have to replace the plastic door lining and seal but after that I'm not quite clear on how to properly go about getting proper temps and airflow, vent size, intake.

I assume we are going propane (long as there are no issues with it) so if anyone can give me some tips/pointers/links or any other advice I would really appreciate it.
    Would love to get this thing up and running by Summer time.
    Thanks in advance.
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

WOW, that is the beast!
    What about the door? is it glass? will you be able to watch it the whole time... that would be sweet.. observing the smoke in the chamber and the whole process of the air flow.. it think that would be fascinating!
    I have no helpful input though, sorry.. but good luck I can't wait to see your build!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

I have something similar but about 3 times as big. If I had any advice for you I would consider an offset fire box for indirect heat
      The one I have as I said is big and it does not take much of a burner to make it reach temp and it will hold it well!. If you do not do an offset box I highly recommend a diffusion plate of some sort to keep the heat from hitting your product directly. Also something to think about depending on what you smoke in it a hot plate may be enough of a heat source too do the job most of the time. I had a custom propane burner made for mine and it takes very little to get hot. I will post some pictures of mine in a few days for some ideas. Also down the page on this thread there is a fridge conversion that was documented and has some great info on it.

Comment

Bummer its gonna be a gas burner, but its not my project. Any burner from a dual camp stove will put out plenty enough BTU that you need. From there, mark off at the top for both a 4" and a 6" vent. Cut out the 4", if that doesn't give you proper air flow, go to the 6". Problem to me would be the door. Its gotta go and a piece of stainless that size won't come cheap. If it was mine, I would put a split door in it. You definitely want a seperate door for the burner plate. That way if there is any problem with the burner you won't have 1 large door to open and lose all the heat and humidity.

Another idea, is make it dual fuel.
        sigpic

Comment

this bayou burner would work just fine for a heat source for ya>> http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-...2717020&sr=8-2

and here is a excel sheet to figure up your air flow and inlets and everything else you need...smoker size calc.xls hope this helps ya bro
          Jerod
          GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone.
            As far as gas nothing is set in stone just yet, not until we actually start the build so it can go either gas, wood or electric fired.
            Biggest thing about electric for me is when I used to use an electric smoker I would never get quite the same results as I would with either gas or wood fired.

As for the door I was thinking about replacing it but it is tempered glass which I believe all tempered glass is heat resistant so I might just leave it as is unless I find a good enough deal of some steel but the tempered should be fine, yes?
            Ought to just make it into a giant MES with the glass door and all but it would be nice to have a split door as David suggested.

Thanks for the links Jerod, I was wondering if a burner like that would be enough to evenly heat the unit, now that I know looks like things are about to get under way.
            I'm thinking when I get it all finished I should be able to fit at least 20 pork buts in there if not a few more...
            Shame there aren't many of you around my area, could break it in with a big 'ol smoke party.

sigpic

Comment

like it.

Dunno about an offset - could you maybe add an internal skin and make it into a reverse flow ?
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                like it.

Dunno about an offset - could you maybe add an internal skin and make it into a reverse flow ?
                That would be nice but a little beyond what I would like to do to it on the simple side.
                I'm trying to keep fabricating and welding to a minimum level since if I do need to weld something I will have to practice a few times, never welded before not even in school.
                Wasn't much need for welding in plumbing class but I can melt down lead and seal cast iron pipes and solder copper together no problems so I don't imagine some simple welding would be that much of a big deal BUT if I do need some extensive work done I know a guy that will do it for free, well almost free.
                He would require some beer, smoked and smoke but that's almost free.
                Biggest issue I have and the reason for simplicity and the asking of questions is that I'm in no way an engineer nor have I ever built something like this.
                I have built houses, laid driveways, this and that but nothing on the level of a smoker that needs proper airflow, proper stack size, air intake and even temps throughout.
                Now I could put a stack on, connect a firebox or install a burner, sand and paint and I'm sure the thing would work but I don't want it to simply work...I want it to work perfectly and be a bad ass smoker.

I have been reading lots of threads including Richtees thread for his smoker build
                http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4190
                to get some ideas on things.

Also I had thought the tempered glass would automatically be heat resistant but reading more I found that isn't always the case.
                I have been Googling to figure out if the door would work or not but have yet to find an answer.
                If anyone is in the know on the subject then maybe you would know if the door is fine to use or not.

On the door it reads:
                Ardco
                TEMPER-GARD
                ANSI Z97.1-1984
                16 CFR 1201 C11
                SGCC-1041 1/8U

That's all Greek to me

sigpic

Comment

I found this for ya

Tempered glass is one of two kinds of safety glass regularly used in applications in which standard glass could pose a potential danger. Tempered glass is four to five times stronger than standard glass and does not break into sharp shards when it fails. Tempered glass is manufactured through a process of extreme heating and rapid cooling, making it harder than normal glass.

The brittle nature of tempered glass causes it to shatter into small oval-shaped pebbles when broken. This eliminates the danger of sharp edges. Due to this property, along with its strength, tempered glass is often referred to as safety glass.

The thermal process that cures tempered glass also makes it heat resistant. Tempered glass is used to make the carafes in automatic coffee makers and the windows in ovens. Computer screens, skylights, door windows, tub enclosures and shower doors are more examples of places you will find tempered glass. Building codes also require the windows of many public structures to be made of tempered glass.

heres the link>> http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-tempered-glass.htm
                  Jerod
                  GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks man, tried finding info about the model door and was going to try calling the company but that sounds good considering the heating/cooling process makes it heat resistant.
                    Now if I'm leaving the door on I'll have to come up with a way to add smoke without opening the door all the time, still liking the idea Richtee had on his, gotta pick his brain a little more about it though

sigpic

Comment

Have you considered a electric heat source and a smoke daddy or clone for smoke ???
                      I could probably make ya one as bigg as you want or as small as you want.
                      Jerod
                      GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GOT14U View Post
                        Have you considered a electric heat source and a smoke daddy or clone for smoke ???
                        I could probably make ya one as bigg as you want or as small as you want.
                        Not a bad idea though I was leaning more towards gas.
                        I read through lots of posts here and elsewhere and noticed a lot of folks did go electric with a lot of fridge builds and the likes.
                        Shame I can't go electric and hook it up to a solar panel, that would be great!

Thanks for the offer, if I end up going with electric I'll definitely keep that in mind

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GOT14U View Post
                          Building codes also require the windows of many public structures to be made of tempered glass.

heres the link>> http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-tempered-glass.htm
                          Not to mention the newer building codes on residential homes that now require tempered glass. If the top of the window is higher than 36" and it is 18" or lower to the ground and greater than 9 sq ft and less than 36 inches from a walkway, patio or deck it must be safety glass. Also sidelights must be safety glass if they are less than 60" high and less than 24" from the door. For more information see IRC 308.3 and 308.4 Also 16 CFR 1201 standard requires the glass the thickness to be labeled

Not that anybody really cares about the info, its just fun to inderdict my profession sometimes.
                          sigpic

Comment

Maybe something along these lines would work...

Ken just put a electric element in the one he built and it looked great.

I would leave the door and make a small lower door in one of the sides or the back.
                            Last edited by Kingudaroad; 05-01-2010, 05:12 PM.
                            Keith

Comment

I just ordered a Smoke Daddy and I will let you know how it works with my big fridge.

Comment

Working...
                              X