Current A-dooins in the garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current A-dooins in the garden

Bean/pea trellis and the trellis for squash, zucchini, spaghetti squash, lemon cucumbers and charentais melons. Can't see from the pic but there is a lower middle support.
    If you look closely you can see a solar panel in the background, that charges the battery on the electric mower as well as provide light inside the shed at night time.

No squash or anything coming up yet, seeds went in about 5 days ago but peas (went in a month late) are coming up.

On the bean trellis I will have peas, lima beans, Big Mama lima beans, string beans and asparagus beans (yard long beans).

Under the bean trellis I have romaine, butter crunch and loose leaf lettuces, mesculun mix, spinach and carrots growing. I have a row cover over them so nobody but the family gets to eat the crop. Also when the trellis is covered in vines it will allow me to have a longer growing season for lettuces because it will help keep them shaded and cooler.
    In front of the lettuce are some onions and past them some broccoli and cauliflower.

I'm giving growing peanuts a try this year. Nothing has broken ground yet but should within the next week.
    Going to grow about 30 plants.

Corn has just broken ground, and it looks like something has been walking through the area.

Doing 75 sweet corn and in another week and a half I am planting 75 baby corn, a few I will let fully mature into popcorn plants.
    If planting popcorn and sweet corn they must be either 1/4 mile apart or planted 3 weeks apart, if they cross pollinate then the sweet corn will be crunchy and the popcorn won't pop.

Fathers gardening area, he is doing potatoes in the raised bed and not sure what in front of it.
    That tall plant stuff...mint from last year that decided to take over.

In the back is some of my cherry wood we cut down last year, almost ready to use

Finally the little herb garden

Growing stevia, thyme, rosemary, basil, oregano, Italian parsley, chives and cilantro/coriander.

Going to put the tomatoes and peppers in very soon, hopefully sometime this week. Eggplant I might wait another few weeks on.
    Right now they are enjoying the day, sunny and 86 degrees out and only dropping down to 65 at night.

After selling some and giving some away to fmaily members I have 38 tomato plants remaining and 41 pepper plants, most of the peppers are different kinds of jalapenos but I also have some Anaheims, Black Hungarians, Pepperoncinis, Aji Dulce (no heat habanero). I believe all the others are jalapenos, no heat ones, giant ones, 2 kinds of organic ones and an early one.
    All growing is being done organically.
    Just talking about it is making me weak in the knees, I can't wait to pick off that first ripe Jersey tomato, sprinkle a little salt on it and bite like an apple.
    Talk about delicious perfection!
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Looking good jim....I am gonna start making my holes for peppers and tomatoes tomorrow and after the rain monday get everything in ground(peppers,omatoes) wednesday and thursday.....

Should be interesting on the peanuts....

Comment

Nice....just fixin to put some more maters in. 3 Solar Fire & 1 Jet Star. Got hammered with 8" of rain yesterday so everything is a mess....
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Thanks Alex.
        I forgot to give special thanks to you for all the help you have given me again this year.
        Didn't pick up the wire for the cages yet (hurt my leg and was all fudged up for a few days) but I'll be picking it up soon.
        I'm hoping the peanuts turn out and have a much better taste than anything from the store like most homegrown things do but who knows.
        A few of my early maters and some of the peppers already tried to start flowering but I had to put a stop to that, hoping to get some slicing tomatoes by the $th of July, one of the strains I'm growing (4th of July hybrid) are supposed to be ready by then so we shall see.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
          Thanks Alex.
          I forgot to give special thanks to you for all the help you have given me again this year.
          Didn't pick up the wire for the cages yet (hurt my leg and was all fudged up for a few days) but I'll be picking it up soon.
          I'm hoping the peanuts turn out and have a much better taste than anything from the store like most homegrown things do but who knows.
          A few of my early maters and some of the peppers already tried to start flowering but I had to put a stop to that, hoping to get some slicing tomatoes by the $th of July, one of the strains I'm growing (4th of July hybrid) are supposed to be ready by then so we shall see.
          I always pinch my pepper flowers first few weeks in garden until plants get some size....Get great production and plants get some good size to hold more....

Some of my japs have been flowering and i just pinch em....They never look like the nursery stuff with 1 inch peppers on a 12 inch plant...Thats a waste in my opinion...Let the dang plant get some size etc..before fruit...They have plenty of time to produce...

I am growing 4th of july too...Couldnt resist the picture in burpee catalog...Pretty sure they are new variety for this year..
          Last edited by ALX; 05-01-2010, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Man that looks great!
            Keith

Comment

Looks good FIU. Very nice. You sure there's nothing else growing in your "HERB" garden
              https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
                Looks good FIU. Very nice. You sure there's nothing else growing in your "HERB" garden
                Thats in his closet.....

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
                  Well it is a medicinal plant...

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                  Thats in his closet.....
                  Man do I wish.
                  Would be a hell of a lot cheaper and I'm sure more variety.

sigpic

Comment

It's really coming together Fire it up. Kudos, going to be a great year for ya...
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    KCBS CBJ

Comment

Looks great FIU. You and ALX are lucky to have a longer growing season. Ours is so short. Not suggested to plant before May 15th here. We've had such a mild spring and warm weather, several friends started planting already. Got down to 28 or 29 the other night and they both lost there tomato plants. Doh. So, I'm not pushing it yet. My rhubarb is going crazy though.

I'm moving too, so not sure what I'll be planting yet and where. But I did prep some garden area at the new place today. Can't wait.
                      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                      CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      UniFlame Gas Grill
                      Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
                        Looks great FIU. You and ALX are lucky to have a longer growing season. Ours is so short. Not suggested to plant before May 15th here. We've had such a mild spring and warm weather, several friends started planting already. Got down to 28 or 29 the other night and they both lost there tomato plants. Doh. So, I'm not pushing it yet. My rhubarb is going crazy though.

I'm moving too, so not sure what I'll be planting yet and where. But I did prep some garden area at the new place today. Can't wait.
                        I start my chit later then most,but it gets alot of time on deck...That way its big like my(insert appendage)...and not root bound....

Why fight it eh...We had a mild frost here the 15th of may etc...Last year...Donna hurt a healthy plant...

Last 25 years they(tomatoes,peppers) have gone in may 2nd-10th...

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                          That way its big like my(insert appendage)
                          Good stuff

sigpic

Comment

looking good, FIU! Still snowing on us in CO!

Comment

I love those pics, you are a good month to a month and a half ahead of when I can plant. I've got my plants started and in my green house. I hope to plant taters next week, but the tender plants will go out the end of May/first of june.
                              Now you just have to battle weeds, weather, critters and bugs. LOL
                              Col. Big Guy

Comment

Working...
                              X