Venison Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venison Bacon

Tracey (WALLE) and I decided it was time to try our hand at smoking some venison bacon. Bought the kit from Curley's and Tracey brought the pork butts. I had some ground venison with pork already mixed in and some elk steaks to grind. That made up 15 pounds and Tracey threw in 10 pounds of pork. We did add a couple of extras. Aside from the kit, we added granulated garlic, onion powder, chipotle powder and the ice water.
    I found this picture of a couple of drunks.

Out of the pan (one of four).

Sliced off a few pieces to try.

Fried up a few pieces. This is some good stuff!

Last edited by Bassman; 05-01-2010, 10:01 PM.
    sigpic
    Smoke Vault 24

Looks great, glad to hear you like it !!!
    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

wow that looks great..i have to try this...
      Mike
      Oklahoma City
      22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
      Weber 22.5 Performer
      GOSM 3405gw
      Boomer Sooner Drum
      Maverick ET-732
      Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
      A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

This is really easy to make. It's in the fridge waiting to be sliced tomorrow. I don't know why we waited so long to make it.
        sigpic
        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Nice job. Looks great. It's very addictive. Let's see....your splitting it with WALLE......bet it's gone in less than 2 months. Hehe.
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

That is good stuff. wont last long
            2-22.5'' weber
            1-18'' weber
            1 smokey joe
            22.5'' wsm
            24'' smoke vault
            1-outhouse
            Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
            Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Great Post.....Keep saying.... Gotta try this stuff
              sigpic

Comment

Comment

dam, operatin power equipment under the influence eh!!! good lookin creation you and walle made up. bet it tastes dam good too, mebe on some of your toasted sourbread slathered with butter!!!
                  Charbroil SFB
                  GOSM
                  MES
                  Dutch Ovens and other CI
                  Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                  Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Adding to what Keith has already said - very good right outta the smoker, I can't wait to try it after it has sat over night. Keith hit that stuff will a crazy good aroma of hickory, cherry, maple, and something else I think.

First time I've ever seen/watched a Smoke Vault. Gotta say, I am very impressed with the consistency in temps. Keith got out his owners manual and set the temp.... .... (had to add this cuz Keith has used the SV so much he was looking at me when he dialed it in.. and damned if he didn't hit within five degrees.. "What?" he says when I asked him how he did that ) and that baby just stayed there.

Hell of a fun project - to Keith for the idea and offering up all of his good equipment for our little experiment!

Comment

That looks fantastic guys...It also looks like a great time was had doing it.
                      BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                      Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                      I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Great job guys....That stuff is a real hit here in my family...I made 50lbs of it for my aunt and uncle late last year...it even goes great on home made pizza
                        Jerod
                        GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                        sigpic

Comment

Great job, this must be the official weekend to make Venny Bacon. I did a batch too. I added a pepper crust and it turned out great.
                          Venny bacon the way to go.
                          Col. Big Guy

Comment

Big Guy, we sort of stole your pepper crust idea. Probably could have used a little bit more, but it still came out great. You guys wouldn't believe that big ol' slicer of Tracey's! It took both of us to lift it up to the table. Fortunately, he had built a wheeled rack to transport it from place to place. Here's a picture of the sliced product. Tracey has one of the slicer. Maybe he'll post it. Thanks for all the encouragement, folks.

sigpic
                            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Here are the shots I was able to take - a little out of order with the rest of the post, but Keith hid my camera last night...

Yesterday after sitting in fridge over night and the pepper just drying out a little

First loaf pulled off the smoker

One of the loaves in the slicer - the o'l gal didn't mis a beat and cut through this like budda - much better job than my little o'l Rivel.

Thanks again - one to Keith for the idea and the use of all of his equipment, one to all of you for checking out our project.

Comment

Working...
                              X