Katsudon: Pork Cutlet Over Rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katsudon: Pork Cutlet Over Rice

This is one of my favorite meals. It's a piece of pork cutlet, breaded, sliced, and placed on top of a bed of rice.

In Japan or in an Asian restaurant, the pork will be thinly sliced or pounded to get a skinny piece of meat. We prefer a thicker slice. Bread the pork and pan fry (or deep fry if you prefer. Most restaurants would deep fry) Remove from cooking and set aside, cut into strips but leave it in cutlet shape.

The rice is already made and is sitting in the pot (rice cooker if you have one)

Mix two eggs with a little bit of soy sauce and some chopped green onions. Pour that egg mixture into a non-stick frying pan and let it start to cook. When the egg is half done, place the pork cutlet in the center and let the egg cook a little further. We don't mind it a little runny, in fact if I remember correctly, when I had this in a restaurant in Japan they put a raw beaten egg on top and let the warm rice and pork sort of firm up the egg. If you want it cooked more just cover the pan with a lid for a while to cook the egg but be careful because the steam under the lid will make your breadcrust soggy. You could place the cutlet after the eggs are set up firmer.

Take a plate and spread some rice on it. Slide the egg and pork cutlet on top of the rice. Soy sauce at the table for those who prefer more soy sauce.

The rice we use is short grain which is stickier than many Americans are used to. We prefer our rice to stick together. I hate rice that falls apart, each grain separate. We usually cook it one cup of rice to two cups of water. Bring it to a boil, stir once while there is still a lot of water and then don't touch it afterwards. When most of the water is gone and you get those little bubbling craters shut the flame off and cover the pot and let it sit for fifteen minutes. No peeking.

could be good - if only there were pics...
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Lots of pictures on Google. No offense meant.

Next time my wife cooks this I'll try to remember to take some pics.

Comment

Next time my wife cooks this I'll try to remember to take some pics.
        that's the attitude :-)
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

rice, yum..sounds like a treat. Do not mind CA, he is not a vision reader like some of us.
          sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
          nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Working...
          X