uds electronics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uds electronics

hey jimmy z here im rather new to this uds smoker but i am building a cart that will hold two uglys with rack and a butcher block for some local comps around so cal and was wonder if anyone has used a stoker electronic unit on any of there uds ive been reading the post some good information out there im going with a square coal basket and definitely going with a diffuser plate and probably will even sneak in a pan of whiskey on top of diffuser just seeing if anyone has tried the electronics diffuser and water pan????? thanks u all have a good day..... jz

Bubba gonna get you for the diffuser plate. Bubba don't believe in difuser plate.
    sigpic

Comment

I've read of folks on other forums using Stokers on a drum. I think they've found that if you extend the pipe to the fan a bit then when the fan shuts off, the drum doesn't get as much air on its own and the temp control is a little better.

I've used a diffuser plate a couple of times. Made the temps a little easier to control but used a lot more fuel. I don't mind the "vaporized fat" flavor. Water pan would be a big heat sink and turn the drum into a real fuel hog IMHO. Drums cook really moist so you certainly don't need a water pan for moisture.

I'd love to have a Stoker to play with on my drum but haven't talked Mrs. DDave into that present yet. Although Father's Day is coming up.

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
        Bubba gonna get you for the diffuser plate. Bubba don't believe in difuser plate.
        Now thats not completely true. I just like to razz Rich any chance i can.
        After all, i used a diffuser plate at Eagle and it worked for a 1st place in brisket!

Now as far as a water pan goes, your wasting your time as we ALL know a water pan doesn't add moisture and the drum is already a very moist cooker as it is. It would do nothing more than waste fuel.

IMO, running a Stoker or Guru on a drum would be like putting tits on a bull.

Comment

I agree that putting a stoker on a drum (or my backwoods clone for that matter) would be completely overkill, and I wouldn't do it necessarily for temperature control. I would do it more for the ability to F around with another toy...for instance, I would hook it into my home ethernet and then it would send emails on the temperature profile to my droid phone...last time I checked, i could get more distance on my cell phone than my ET-73! Now that's a wireless thermo!
          BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
          Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
          I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
            I agree that putting a stoker on a drum (or my backwoods clone for that matter) would be completely overkill, and I wouldn't do it necessarily for temperature control. I would do it more for the ability to F around with another toy...
            Sshhh . . . not so loud.

My wife might hear you.

Don't for get the cool graphs of the temps.

Dave
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            -

Comment

Originally posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
              Now thats not completely true. I just like to razz Rich any chance i can.
              After all, i used a diffuser plate at Eagle and it worked for a 1st place in brisket!
              Sorry Bubba, I stand corrected.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                I agree that putting a stoker on a drum (or my backwoods clone for that matter) would be completely overkill, and I wouldn't do it necessarily for temperature control. I would do it more for the ability to F around with another toy...for instance, I would hook it into my home ethernet and then it would send emails on the temperature profile to my droid phone...last time I checked, i could get more distance on my cell phone than my ET-73! Now that's a wireless thermo!

Now, I think I can agree that is wireless and more. I didn't know you could do that. Gee, hook that up and you could walk around a competition and keep an eye on temps. Slick stuff these things are getting to be.
                sigpic

Comment

What changed your mind on the diffuser plate?

Or . . . have you been a long time secret diffuser plate user??

Did you put it on a middle rack?

Dave
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  -

Comment

Why take sumtin simple an complicate it? I never have any trouble controlin the temps on the drum, a battery operated gizmo ain't gonna do nothin ta help it in my opinion. Sorta like puttin a computer on a diesel engine, all it gonna do is take sumtin reliable an let it break when ya need it most.

I'm just sayin, it's a drum, does a swell job all on it's own with no whiz bangs.

Just my thoughts on it anywho.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                      What changed your mind on the diffuser plate?

Or . . . have you been a long time secret diffuser plate user??

Did you put it on a middle rack?

Dave
                      The judges don't care for the cooked over coals flavor so i improvised.

I have a middle rack in my comp drum with a 14" clay pot as a diffuser.
                      Down side with a diffuser is 10 lbs of charcoal will be burned in 6 hrs.
                      TERRIBLE efficency. Better have a BIG basket.

Comment

The judges don't care for the cooked over coals flavor so i improvised.
                        Cool. Sounds like you gave 'em what they wanted and got the

Dave
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        -

Comment

uds electronics

ok i figured id put a lil post on here after asking for some input on a stoker electronic unit on my uds cart. after doing a test smoke and the control i had with the intake valve i dont believe there is any need on any electronics on a well built uds the control i had with one valve was amazing so i am now a firm believer in uds smoking the difference between the two drum in temp was maybe 2 degrees amazing everyone who smokes should try a uds and build there own....... thanks for the the input once again id like to thank honky my wife probaly hates him because im addicted lol.......... jz

Comment

Working...
                          X