A collapsible shelf for my drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A collapsible shelf for my drum

I've been wanting to add a shelf to my smaller (55-gallon) UDS for quite some time, but the stationary shelf on my big one takes up so much room that I decided to figure out a way to make this one fold down for storage. Finally took the time to do it these past couple days. Here are some pics of the finished product:

Folded down

Set up

The shelf seems solid enough. Biggest problem now is that she's too light to be able to support much weight without a healthy batch of meat and charcoal in the drum. I may have to add some counter weights inside on the bottom. Nothing too exciting, but I thought I'd share anyway. Have a good day!

Good idea....mine's fixed....hmm got me thinkin now.
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Great Plan & Execution..... How about another shelf on the other side to counter balance & use a heavier material for the shelves to add weight overall to help to keep it sitting upright?
      sigpic

Comment

Very cool.
        Chargriller Pro w. sfb
        Ducane 4100 propane grill
        Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

now that is sweet, and bullet proof except for falling over from being out of balance.

I was pondering (that is always bad)

if you cut a circular steel plate and screwed or welded to the bottom of the drum (filling the void between the rim and the bottom.) would make it heavier for sure. then three pipes cut at angles so they protruded from the bottom several inches.(tripod fashion) then mount the casters or wheels to them so it will still roll with ease. might solve the problem and greater heat retention with the plate on the bottom.
          sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
          nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Outstanding!

Comment

Thanks for the kudos and the ideas for counter weighting my UDS. I'll be curious to see how much weight the shelf will hold with a full charcoal basket and a couple butts on the drum. That's my plan for Saturday. I've also been working on a plan for a slide-in removable drip pan for the bottom of my drum. I was having some trouble with moisture build up in the bottom, so I drilled a 3/4" hole in the bottom center. Be nice to have something there to catch it so I'm not leaking greasy water on the deck or driveway.

Comment

Here's another question . . . I used MDF for the shelf, because I had it on hand from another project. I primed it (two coats) with a good sealing primer and then spray painted it. What are the chances it'll stand up to getting wet? I'm already wishing I'd just bought a decent chunk of wood instead and it hasn't even left the garage since I added the shelf . . .

Comment

could you show the hinge construction? I see bolts in a semi-circular pattern on the top of the shelf.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                    could you show the hinge construction? I see bolts in a semi-circular pattern on the top of the shelf.
                    Yeah, I didn't take a very good picture of the hinge or the support piece. I'll snap a couple more pics tonight. I just used a fairly heavy duty gate hinge from hope depot. I had to cut off the bottom of the side with the triangular piece, because it was too long to fit between the ribs on the drum. I'll explain more when I get the additional pics.

Comment

Originally posted by donnylove View Post
                      Here's another question . . . I used MDF for the shelf, because I had it on hand from another project. I primed it (two coats) with a good sealing primer and then spray painted it. What are the chances it'll stand up to getting wet? I'm already wishing I'd just bought a decent chunk of wood instead and it hasn't even left the garage since I added the shelf . . .
                      most likely like all other metals that will rust. If you are in a rainy humid enviroment. chances are you will wire wheel at a later date and repaint.
                      wood is no better. rots.
                      Not to worry, will be something to do.
                      sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                      nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Originally posted by donnylove View Post

The shelf seems solid enough. Biggest problem now is that she's too light to be able to support much weight without a healthy batch of meat and charcoal in the drum. I may have to add some counter weights inside on the bottom. Nothing too exciting, but I thought I'd share anyway. Have a good day!
                        How about firebrick? If it has to be in there you might as well get all you can out of it.
                        sigpic

Comment

I love your idea!!! One thing that caught my eye though is why is the shelf so big? I want a shelf on mine but was thinking of one a little smaller....need to hold a temp gauge or two and maybe some gloves. Don't want to do any prep on the shelf. But you did such a nice job on that shelf!!!!!
                          www.nopigleftbehind.com
                          -----------------------------

Comment

wow that is great. it helps to reinforce the bigger shelf from sagging too.
                            Glen
                            Large Vertical & 3 UDS (Illini drum by Bubba before he went big-time)
                            KCBS CBJ
                            Blue Thermopen
                            Profile:
                            http://www.coltecconsulting.com

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
                              How about firebrick? If it has to be in there you might as well get all you can out of it.
                              I was thinking something along these lines. I've been using a water pan in my drum lately and I have a harder time getting the temp up. Maybe firebrick would help. Where do I get it? A fireplace store?

Comment

Working...
                              X