Prawn and Prosciutto kebabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prawn and Prosciutto kebabs

These were very heavily influenced by a post a while ago with prawns and streaky/american bacon :-)

I didn't have any streaky so instead used some prosciutto I had in the fridge (and had actually bought for this purpose - for me that's major forward planning )

The prawns were 21-24 count. Marinated in a mixture of cbp, butter, french's mustard, honey & garlic.
    Had a kind of mustard theme going with this bbq - the potato salad had egg, mustard and honey in it as well.

Okay so as prosciutto is very very thin I folded each sheet in half.

Now as the prawns were really gunkily coated with marinade I got no pics of the kebab being threaded - just couldn't handle the camera lol

Sooo. What you do is this:
    Spike the end of the bamboo skewer through the end of the prosciutto. skewer a prawn through the tail and then the head end, fold the prosciutto over and skewerthrough. add another prawn, skewer the prosciutto, add third prawn and final fold of prosciutto.
    When done it looks like this (and should all make sense:

Make more than 1 :-)

I cooked them directly over the coals. Now because of the prosciutto they cooked a little longer than if they'd just been the prawns. So picked up a fair bit of smoke with the lid closed inbetween me turning the kebabs.

Nearly done.

Done and plated:

The rest of the bbq consisted of.
    Lime marinated pork shoulder steaklets, cage cooked ribs with a mixture of my chinese rub and mad hunky with honey. Wutangs chicken citrus sausage, potato salad with egg, mustard and honey (really really good) and ciabatta garlic bread (also a keeper).

There was some sate sauce somewhere as well :-)

But good as the other stuff was the prawns were the piece de resistance, no question. The saltiness of the prosciutto contrasted well with the smooth, sweet & sharp of the butter, honey and mustard.
    The prosciutto was crisp and the prawns having been partially protected from the heat were still plump and succulent.

Good meal all round :-)

So whoever you are who came up with the interweaving idea (I gave you points for it I remember that lol) thanks very much !
    It's one of those dishes I'll roll out to impress from now on.
    cheap it ain't - but a true classic never comes cheap :-)

And My caged rib cooking method ? Well that's another post entirely lol

Attached Files
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-06-2010, 04:13 PM.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

A meal fit for a President Matey!.... Truly, Bloody Awesome Work Right There!
    Definately Worthy, but "The Man" says I gotta spread them around first..... You must be doing some good work lately Alex
    sigpic

Comment

funny that's what it says about me giving you points too !

let's call it honours even
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

..... We're even ..... Hey, what's in the aluminum pan? Looks like some goodies in there also
        sigpic

Comment

The rest of the bbq consisted of.
          Lime marinated pork shoulder steaklets, cage cooked ribs with a mixture of my chinese rub and mad hunky with honey. Wutangs chicken citrus sausage, potato salad with egg, mustard and honey (really really good) and ciabatta garlic bread (also a keeper).
          lol you got to read the words as well scott ;-)

So: top left is the sausages. next to that - top right - are the lime marinated pork steaklets.
          and the rest of the pan is filled with cage cooked ribs.
          potato salad is in the far right top and just below that is the garlic ciabatta.
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I did read it..... Was trying to get some more comments out of you on that foil pan full of stuff.... What are "caged" ribs?
            sigpic

Comment

Very nice CA...Looks darn tasty....

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                I did read it..... Was trying to get some more comments out of you on that foil pan full of stuff.... What are "caged" ribs?
                a whole 'nother thread
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

CA - good looking shrimp on the barbie!

Help me remember what cbp is....?
                  Thanks!

Comment

Good looking kebabs, CA.
                    sigpic
                    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Sure does look tasty! I guess I better pull up my best appetite when I pull up a chair! What a spread of goodies Alex. Them skewers work double as a tooth pick too. Pry that rib meat out of your teeth bud
                      Nice work!
                      Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                      Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

C-racked
                        B-lack
                        P-epper
                        sigpic

Comment

from here Alex. Awesome stuff. Can't wait to hear about the caged ribs.

JT
                          JT

Comment

CA a meal fit for the queen fer sure..the caged ribs look cool. and every thing well done. yum..
                            at ya from the belt fed points gun fer the fine looking vittles.
                            sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                            nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

I could scarf down a whack of that.
                              Chargriller Pro w. sfb
                              Ducane 4100 propane grill
                              Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Working...
                              X