building my first uds......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building my first uds......

here are pics of my ugly build let me know what u think...

the start of the cart..

building the shelves..

using honkys drums as a mock up..

square fire boxes ??? i guess i wanted over built and to be a lil different..

paining the drum..

layout on the lids with stacks

yess stainless bolts lol..

setting up the cart measuring twice mounting once..

brandnew tel tru temp gauges they are nice looking

l[IMG]http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy324/JimmyZ1113
    /DSC04814.jpg[/IMG]

covering the shelves thanks honky..

almost ready to light up and season still have to put the handle on it to tow it around and building a butcher block for the top between the drums.... i will tell u what its amazing how much u appreciate something when its hand built from start to finish i know there are trash can but this project was hand built i just want to tell honky thank you for everything i will post more pics as i get it done.. any ideas let me know.. hope my fellow uds people enjoy hopping to use this for some comp smoking with my brother honky soon... thanks jz.....

heres a pics of honky and my 8 yr old son whalen setting screws in the corrugated metal

thats a killer build you got going on there... cant wait to see it fired up.
    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

i will post pics of the first fire up when i season it and the butcher block top installed...... thanks jz...

Comment

butcher block too darn man your killing me....
        Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Looking good man....Keep us in dah loop...

Comment

That's FN Awesome Jimmy Is the center area for the Easy Bake Oven?.......... ........ Sorry.... I LOVE IT ......... Got here kinda late tonight.... if I got them for sure.... Great work.....
            sigpic

Comment

SWEET!!!!

Great build!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Looks great!!

One suggestion though . . . if you use shorter bolts on the top rack it's easier to get the bottom rack in and out. You don't have to tilt it as much while cooking. You don't want to have to tilt it too much or you may risk ALMOST dumping your food in the bottom of the drum. Or so I have heard.

And a question . . . the bottom rack and thermo seem kind of low. Is that bottom rack for grilling?

Dave
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Yeehaw! Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!
                  Ballz Deep Double Barrel Smokers™
                  Looking dang good JZ

Scott, just 'cause you damged your Easy Bake™ in a drunkin' cart wheel accident No! You still cant have my - Uncle Honky Limited Edition Chromoly - one .
                  Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                  Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Man....you got it goin there! Nice!
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                      Looks great!!

One suggestion though . . . if you use shorter bolts on the top rack it's easier to get the bottom rack in and out. You don't have to tilt it as much while cooking. You don't want to have to tilt it too much or you may risk ALMOST dumping your food in the bottom of the drum. Or so I have heard.

And a question . . . the bottom rack and thermo seem kind of low. Is that bottom rack for grilling?
                      Dave
                      My first thought!

Why is your thermo so low? Theres no way to get an accurate cooking temp down there.

Comment

from what ive been reading there is usually only a 4 to 10 degree difference between top and bottom grill so i put it under the bottom grill to stay clear of putting grills in and out since i went with the longer probe on the tel tru i went with the 4 inch stem im hopping that this works lol and as far as the grill placement i went 7 inches down from top for first grate and seven down from that for second???? hopping my layout is correct ???? thanks jz...

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyz View Post
                          as far as the grill placement i went 7 inches down from top for first grate and seven down from that for second???? ..
                          Most folks try to keep 24" between the bottom of the charcoal basket and the first cook grate. That is usually 8" or so from the top of the drum if the charcoal basket has 3" legs and the thermo usually goes just below that. If you go double rack, the second rack is usually an inch or so below the top of the drum and a domed lid is used.

I have a third rack about where your bottom one is but I sit the charcoal basket on it when I want to grill to get it closser to the cook grate. I don't cook anything on the very bottom rack.

Dave
                          Last edited by DDave; 05-11-2010, 02:08 PM.
                          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                          -
                          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Your bottom rack will be for grillin, not smokin.

Need that 24" so as not to be direct cooking your meat.

Comment

they say from what ive read there is usually only a 10 deg + - in temp change on the drum im not sure i will test fire and season in the morning and ill put a couple potatos on the grill will my temp probes to check to see if i need to raise it up...

Comment

Working...
                              X