I need help now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help now

plan was to take the spring and summer and then start my 500 gallon build this fall when I had my student loan to buy the welder I want and use it as extra credit in my welding class. I have a issue my bradley will not get up to temp. The gauge says 250 or what ever but on the lower area of the cooking chamber it is 160 and at the top maybe 130.

I had to finish my CB off in my over though it turned out to be the best. 3 hours of basically cold smoke at 100 degrees and 6 hours at 160 to 250 where it finished at 300 up to internal of 163 and out of the oven up to 168. I loved it

But I need something that will give me the temps I need to cook the time I need it cooked in. I do not have the cash for the 2500 welder 500 metal plus the stand and the 1200 for the trailer. SO I am thinking about taking the 100 gallon propane tank and slapping together a easy smoker for now. Not sure if I want to do a off set or just a deep grill tip that would use very little wood maybe charcoal.

Now I wish I pulled a oven out of one of the mobile homes we trashed.

ANy ideas or plans to get me cooking now and the right way.
    I could take a old stove and retro fit the Bradley smoke unit to fit it and make a bigger chamber that has a big enough heat element. OR could I add a element to the Bradley

If your looking for wood and charcoal. Alx posted a great deal on a WSM. Here is the post.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...745#post115745

You could use this for a while and get all your materials and tools ready for your build and still have a good smoker to use in the meantime. Take your time and build it right. You will be sorry if you just slap one together. Just my 2 cents...
    ---------------------------------------------------
    I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    KCBS CBJ

Comment

I'm not sure which Bradley you have, but both the 4 rack & the 6 rack have the same 500 watt element. Not much horsepower imo. I have read of heating issues (lack of) with the 6 rack. Don't believe the temp gauge that came with the unit. If you're using an extension cord, keep it as short as possible and 12 ga. minimum. As a comparison, my Brinkmann wattburner has a 1500 watt element, and the 2 Char-Broils I have are 1650 watts. Big difference. Check your local Craigslist and see if you can find a horizontal w/sfb that's reasonably priced. At least you'll be able to smoke something.
      sigpic
      New Braunfels Bandera
      New Braunfels Hondo
      4-22.5" Weber Kettles
      1-26" Weber Kettle
      24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
      Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

That could be it. I had it hooked up to a 100 foot cord on a reel and I was only using 20 foot of it. IT is the digital 4 rack module.

Comment

they're just underpowered.
          I tried lots of different extension cords with mine and made no difference.

Someone on the forum has recently upgraded the element in their bradley and added a thermo stat too..

think it was sweet magnolia (definitely a female member) you might want to dig that post up and check it out.

Bradleys are great for cold smoking and fatties, fish, anything that'll smoke under 200 - but bloody useless for ribs, butts and chicken.

edit: it was moselle - here's the thread
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I had the same issue with mine when I was using too long of an extension chord. I did exactly what was reccomended above got the highest gauge and the shortest possible(dont remember off hand how long it is, I think 6 feet?).Problem was solved. well to the extent that its not a high temp smoker but there great for slow and lows.

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post

but bloody useless for ribs, butts and chicken.

edit: it was moselle - here's the thread
              I got tons of qview that will make a liar out of you advark.Useless for poultry and id agree, unless you like rubber.

Comment

THe leg quarters I did a week a go where great. I have only had this temp issue four times. Though 3 out of the last three times. The first was 2 months after I bought it. Might just deal till I get my 500 gallon done and use it for small cooks and cold smokes.
                Originally posted by williamzanTzinger View Post
                I got tons of qview that will make a liar out of you advark.Useless for poultry and id agree, unless you like rubber.

Comment

Working...
                X