K-9 Dog Treats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-9 Dog Treats

I posted this in a former life... You can do this in the O...O...Oven if you wish.. but if you have a bit of extra space on the smoker toss them in.. It really makes a big difference... And your pup will thank you..

1/2 cup margarine or butter
    3 cups whole wheat flour
    1 cup cornmeal
    3/4 cup hot chicken or beef broth
    1 egg, beaten
    1/2 cup skim milk powder

In a large bowl, pour hot broth over margarine.. Next, stir in powdered milk, salt, sugar, and egg... Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time until all flour is added and well mixed... Knead 3-4 minutes while adding more flour as necessary to make a very stiff dough... Roll out to 1/4" thickness and cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters.. Place on cookie cooling racks and Smoke at 250 - 300* for around a hour maybe hour and a half... When they are finished let stand n the counter for a hour for hardening.

I have no dog bone cookie cutters.... I guess the mailman cutter will do...

Finished...

Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Thanks Ken. I was hoping you were going to post this here. I never did get a chance to make them.
    sigpic

Comment

Ken,

Thanks again. my dog loves these.

Hell I even liked em.

Comment

LOLOL Ken.............as i told you earlier..........I smoked em once for the dogs.........BUT............o--o-o-o-o-o-o-oo-ven now.........LOL.

MUCH easier...........

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Thanks for posting this again, Ken. I failed to save the recipe last time.
          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
          Pink Thermapen
          Purple Thermapen

Comment

My pooches are going to luv you Ken... Thanks. A man always has a little room on the edges of the smokers for his best friends...
            Lang and luvin it
            Jim

Comment

My Dad does these.

Flea-Away Dog Biscuits
              Serves 24
              • 2 cups all-purpose flour
              • 1/2 cup wheat germ
              • 1/2 cup brewer's yeast
              • 1 teaspoon salt
              • 2 cloves garlic, minced
              • 3 tablespoons olive oil or sesame oil
              • 1 cup chicken stock, or beef or vegetable stock
              Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease two to three baking sheets. In a medium bowl, combine the first four ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, combine the garlic and oil. Alternately, add the flour mixture and the stock into the oil and garlic, beating until the dough is well mixed. Shape the dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to a 12-inch circle. Using a two-inch biscuit cutter, cut the dough into rounds. (Or use a cookie cutter with a dog-biscuit shape.) Transfer the biscuits to greased baking sheets. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until the biscuits are well browned. Turn off the heat and allow the biscuits to dry in the oven for several hours or over night. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Geez Ken those look great!! A little powdered sugar and some sprinkles and the kids will never know the difference.
                Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                  Geez Ken those look great!! A little powdered sugar and some sprinkles and the kids will never know the difference.

OMG LMAO... I just had the VP and the Prez of our company come walking in, wanting to know whats so funny..Great busted..

I bet the will find out when they chip a tooth on one..
                  Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                    My Dad does these.

Flea-Away Dog Biscuits
                    Serves 24
                    • 2 cups all-purpose flour
                    • 1/2 cup wheat germ
                    • 1/2 cup brewer's yeast
                    • 1 teaspoon salt
                    • 2 cloves garlic, minced
                    • 3 tablespoons olive oil or sesame oil
                    • 1 cup chicken stock, or beef or vegetable stock
                    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease two to three baking sheets. In a medium bowl, combine the first four ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, combine the garlic and oil. Alternately, add the flour mixture and the stock into the oil and garlic, beating until the dough is well mixed. Shape the dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to a 12-inch circle. Using a two-inch biscuit cutter, cut the dough into rounds. (Or use a cookie cutter with a dog-biscuit shape.) Transfer the biscuits to greased baking sheets. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until the biscuits are well browned. Turn off the heat and allow the biscuits to dry in the oven for several hours or over night. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.

Making your own is penny's a pound compared to $4.99 for a 16 oz. box of MilkBones
                    Ken

Comment

Luke says thank you very much TH.
                      Steve

Comment

These things are great Ken. Need to make some more. Probably did 6-7 batches for all the in-law dogs for christmas. And I'm with WD on this, much easier in the ov%n.

sigpic
                        Brinkman SnP-w/mods
                        ECB
                        GOSM
                        MES for sticks and sausage
                        30 yr old Weber Kettle
                        Brinkman gasser

Comment

Originally posted by daboys View Post
                          These things are great Ken. Need to make some more. Probably did 6-7 batches for all the in-law dogs for christmas. And I'm with WD on this, much easier in the ov%n.

Im sure it is easier in the other cooking apparatus.. I was just saying if you had a little extra room on the smoker...
                          Ken

Comment

Ya'll forgot cat treats for Capt Dan! Louie has 2 cats. She does some sardine gig! I'll get it from her....it's nasty. Them cats dig it!
                            Sunset Eagle Aviation
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

While making my entry for the Monthly Contest.. I had extra room on the smoker.. Sooo I thought I would make a batch of these for the new folks on the site..

Just popped them in the smoker about 20 minutes ago.. My dog loves these treats.. It's like Christmas all over again..
                              Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X