seasoning a uds first light...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seasoning a uds first light...

so i bought some charcoal and couple cans of pam and lit it up for the first time not really knowing what to expect ... i was pleasantly amazed put roughly 8 lbs in each basket and covered the inside with pam and lit that shit up..... ill be honest it was amazing for a drum how much control i had with the intake valve each drum was pretty close to being the same with in a few degrees maybe 5 to be exact pretty awesome i have never bought anything that has worked as good as my drum as far as controlling the temp ill put it to the test tomorrow with a tri tip to test it out..... dave i do need to raise my temp gauge up like u and bubba said im thinking i was just in a hurry i threw my cart and drums together pretty quick so i bought a plug that will cover the hole nicely and it chrome http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/ima...ilies2/eek.gif so the difference between the top and bottom grill is about 50 degrees my basket was maybe 1/4 full and i could get it down to about 235 240 with my valves but my top grill was only 195 so i could smoke on the lower grill but would be a quick smoke i got a good 5 hours outta of 7 lbs of charcoal ..... so ill move the gauge up fill up the basket and try a butt or brisket thanks guys for the info ill be posting some pics up here when my uglys are done,,,,,,,,,

i again want to that uncle honky for letting me build my project in his shop... i am truly amazed how well my 2 uds worked i would have never believed it until i built my own so we will see how good it works with meat on it im addicted now lol... me and honky will be hitting some bbq comps here shortly thanks jz....

Awesome Jimmy!.... My buddy just started smoking on one about a year ago and loves it!.... Love the dual cart set up!.... Nice Work!
    sigpic

Comment

Stay in JZ!....you in it!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

lol thanks slanted ill tell u what smoking and building smokers is like crack for white folk ill post pics when my cart is done waiting on butcher block top and deciding if im putting a door on front of cart and im needing a name for my cart so if anyone has any ideas be much appreciated,,,,,,, jz

Comment

Excellent build. Can't wait to see it finished. Nice "Double D's".
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

love it...............rowdy lol

Comment

Sounds like you're well on your way to fine tuning 'em.

And they look damn nice on that cart.

Hey, I can't really tell by the picture but . . .

Originally posted by jimmyz View Post
              is that lighter fluid on that shelf??

Dave
              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
              -
              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

no lol i cheated a bit on the first fire up just to season the drums i did a burn today used about 7 lbs of charchol held steady for 6 plus hours u were right on the gauge im moving it up lol.... there was a 50 deg temp diff but other than that im one happy uds smoker so far lol thanks dave .... jz

Comment

no lol i cheated a bit on the first fire up just to season the drums i did a burn today used about 7 lbs of charchol held steady for 6 plus hours u were right on the gauge im moving it up lol.... there was a 50 deg temp diff but other than that im one happy uds smoker so far lol thanks dave .... jz
                  You're very welcome, jz. Glad I could help.

Dave
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  -

Comment

Man....What a great build with the pics and everyones input/experience....Impressive double d's to say least....

Comment

im amazed dave how lil charcoal how long it stayed at a constant temp and how a valve can control the temp so fast lol its like a throttle lol hope to see u at honkys in june.....jz

Comment

Very nice

Gotta build me a UDS!
                        There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Jimmy Z those Double D's are looking good bud. I'll tell you what!!... Might not have been a damn thing in them drums but some charcoal... but they damn sure smelled reeeaalll goooood!
                          Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                          Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

hope to see u at honkys in june.....jz
                            I'm looking forward to it.

the difference between the top and bottom grill is about 50 degrees my basket was maybe 1/4 full and i could get it down to about 235 240 with my valves but my top grill was only 195
                            Hmmm . . . perhaps get the temp of your top grill around 240° to 250° with some pork on it and throw some chicken on the bottom grate?? Chicken with crispy skin and basted in pork fat?? Might be worth a try.

Dave
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            -

Comment

uds

i moved the temp gauge up i will fire it up sat morning im smoking a butt and some tri tip i will post pics of the first smoke with meat jz

hopping the gauge is more accurate dave lol.......

Comment

Working...
                              X