Room temperature cheese?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Room temperature cheese?????

Alright you cheese heads. Here's the deal. I am going on an extended canoe trip in a couple weeks. I want to know if there is any cheese out there that does well WITHOUT refrigeration. It has to be cheese all by itself, meaning, it cannot be canned cheese. I have done marginal research on this and have come up empty handed, figured I may ask some folks here. I will need it to unrefrigerated for at least 10 days in temps no higher than 70 degrees. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

I know some parm cheeses and a few other hard cheeses can stand no refrigeration.
    Also the main thing you want is to keep out air so maybe you can get some of those cheeses that are coated in wax.
    I know they keep them in the refrigeration section of the supermarkets but that might just be because it's easiest to keep them where the other cheeses are.
    You've most likely had some of those Hickory Farms little sampler pack things that have sausages and cheeses in them and those cheeses are fine to sit out at room temp if still sealed, maybe that is the route you want to go.
    Hell, just remembered that they sell those slim Jims that are the sausage and cheese together and they just sit out at room temp.

* Another thought that came to mind is getting one of those 5 Day coolers that supposedly keep things nice and cool for up to 5 days.
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

I agree.. If you have regular block style cheese it will spoil and a good chance if you eat it, it will spoil your trip..

Play it safe and get some cheese that is in the wax.. Laughing cow has them in small sizes.. My wife keeps these in her purse for on the go.. When she gets a bit hungry she has a few..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

We got that ol red wax hoop cheese here in the local store's slice & get after it. Now ya got me wonderin if I can use that up on the river with my FIL. Louie buy's it & wrap's in saran fer lunch.
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
          You've most likely had some of those Hickory Farms little sampler pack things that have sausages and cheeses in them and those cheeses are fine to sit out at room temp if still sealed, maybe that is the route you want to go.
          FIU, your a genius LOL. I didn't even think about those little cheese packs that come in the Hickory farms gift packs. Great Idea. The waxed cheese is a great idea as well. We have to travel very light, very minimal weight. I have dehydrated all of our meals for 3 people for 10 days, the other days will have to rely on our fishing skills LOL, so we can't take a cooler. Each of our packs weigh in at roughly 50 pounds plus I have to carry the canoe upwards of 1 mile from lake to lake.

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
          Laughing cow has them in small sizes.. My wife keeps these in her purse for on the go.. When she gets a bit hungry she has a few..
          Thanks TH, I will for sure check them out. I knew I could count on you guys.

Comment

Velveeta! ALMOST as good as squeeze cheese!

Comment

Originally posted by smokeguy View Post
              Velveeta! ALMOST as good as squeeze cheese!

LMAO... Velveeta and Cockroaches would survive a nuclear attack.. I cannot remember if I ever seem Velveeta go bad..
              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

LMAO... Velveeta and Cockroaches would survive a nuclear attack.. I cannot remember if I ever seem Velveeta go bad..
                First thing I thought too. Laugh, but I don't think it actually needs refrigeration. Check into it. Not the greatest of cheese, but hey......
                S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                New Braunfels Bandera
                UniFlame Gas Grill
                Lil Chief

Comment

Velvetta and Kraft american singles can go without refrigeration for a month or two ;-)
                  ~Phillip

"Okay Hunny, so my hobby is collecting other hobbies. Atleast I'm well rounded!"

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
                    plus I have to carry the canoe upwards of 1 mile from lake to lake.
                    You know back in the old days we had to carry our canoe walking backwards, 3 miles from desert to desert never downhill and we didn't even have lakes!
                    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
                      You know back in the old days we had to carry our canoe walking backwards, 3 miles from desert to desert never downhill and we didn't even have lakes!

Comment

Originally posted by ptt49er View Post
                        Velvetta and Kraft american singles can go without refrigeration for a month or two ;-)
                        yeah but they taste like crap

Any good mature chedar (12-18 month canadian probably your best bet), vacpacked will last. Worst case scenario you might have to scrape the white surface mold off.
                        If no vacpacker small ziplock bags should do.

A lot of the modern cheese makers use a penicillin mold in the cheese making to inhibit growth of nasty bacterium.
                        So the white stuff is probably just penicillium. Hell that might be useful eats if you cut yourself and get it infected :-)

Kill 2 birds with the one shrapnel grenade !
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

That's because it's already bad right outta the box! I patch tires with it...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by ptt49er View Post
                            According to this, that's not the case.
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velveeta

As is the case with most processed cheeses, Velveeta must be refrigerated after opening.
                            sigpic
                            New Braunfels Bandera
                            New Braunfels Hondo
                            4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                            1-26" Weber Kettle
                            24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                            Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

After opening!

He can carry it w/o the need for refrigeration. But once opened he must refrigerate it. Sorry, I should've been more specific.

When I worked for a supermarket we'd get in floor displays of Velveeta and Kraft singles. They could stay out of refrigeration for atleast a month or two before needing to be returned.
                              ~Phillip

"Okay Hunny, so my hobby is collecting other hobbies. Atleast I'm well rounded!"

Comment

Working...
                              X