balancing the trailer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• balancing the trailer.

My plan though against popular thought is to build my 500 gallon smoker and then set it up on a 8x16 utility trailer with a wood and one day diamond plate floor. My hope is this will allow me to have a stabile working platform and give me a place for the smoker, a grill and maybe a large cooler or even a small freeze but also be able to be leveled and stabile as where a boat trailer or similer setup with me on the ground would have me relying on the ground where it is sitting being suitable for the task. My concern is if I sit the smoker on the right side when looking front to back it might cause the tire on that side to wear more then the other. My dad told me to counterweight the otherside.

I have thought of a few ways to do this. Have the grill, cooler and what ever wood I would have for the smoking on the other side. Or just add some weight not to hard weld some metal on the underside and be done with it. Or weld some plates on the side rail to counter the weight of the smoker.

What do you guys think do I need to counter weight the other side if so with what and how. I figure the trailer is 8 feet wide the tank being 3 foot wide should leave me between 4 and 5 feet of space to walk by the smoker.

You could add legs to the corners of your trailer that you can drop down and pin in position to stabilize the trailer. It could be adjusted to any level or unlevel ground situation
    sigpic
    Brinkman Pitmast Deluxe (with alot of mods)
    Great Out doors grill
    Brinkman verticle
    And one great UDS
    Crooked Creek Viszlas

Comment

ya I am thinking that. Though I am worried about the weight being on one side and not even in the middle more so when driving
      Originally posted by smokemania View Post
      You could add legs to the corners of your trailer that you can drop down and pin in position to stabilize the trailer. It could be adjusted to any level or unlevel ground situation

Comment

just kinda ponderin or brain stormin'... it woiuld be my belief that on most trailers the weight is centered side to side and they are also tongue heavy. if you ended up heavy on one side or the other the trailer will crab walk side ways to the light side or awaay from the light side ??? not sure of that but it will crab walk one way or the other. if you are not tongue heavy you increase the chance of ball not bring grasped properly and increase the possiblity of the trailer lift off the ball at the most inopportune time...
        Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

I am guessing it needs to be balanced side to side or close. I am wondering how to do that. I plan on a 60/40 split front to back with the 60% to the front. I will properly also add a electric jack so no need for hand cranking or the dreaded pick up to sit it on the pall.
          We were in Florida and had our box trailer loaded with heavy jetski engines and tools to the back. We where sitting on the beach in Sarasota and spent a week sleeping in the trailer. This was what had the weight to the back well when we hit the interstate the trailer was fish tailing side to side to a 90 degree angle with the 2 door jimmy we where driving.

So I will make sure it is loaded right. I worry with the large heavy tank on one side I will need alot of weight on the other. Though with 2 3500 pound axles I doubt having the tank on one side and 400 or 500 pounds on the other will be a big issue. I know the local scrap yard will sell me scrap for 10to12 cents a pound so we are only talking 100 bucks max worth of steel.
          Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
          just kinda ponderin or brain stormin'... it woiuld be my belief that on most trailers the weight is centered side to side and they are also tongue heavy. if you ended up heavy on one side or the other the trailer will crab walk side ways to the light side or awaay from the light side ??? not sure of that but it will crab walk one way or the other. if you are not tongue heavy you increase the chance of ball not bring grasped properly and increase the possiblity of the trailer lift off the ball at the most inopportune time...

Comment

Definately need to balance the load or you are asking for all kinds of problems, especially at highway speeds and sudden braking. Standard guage rail(rail road) iron goes 100 pounds per foot. I've seen that used for counter weights. If you can find it, some yards will give the stuff away. It also makes a great home made anvil.
            JT

Comment

why does it have to be on the side ?
              Most of the ones I've seen the smoker runs horizontally across the end.
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I seem to recall some pm's with Tim in regards to the length of his 500 gal. propane tank, and I believe that it's at least 10' in length (not counting the firebox). 8'6" is the widest a vehicle or trailer can be here in the U.S.
                sigpic
                New Braunfels Bandera
                New Braunfels Hondo
                4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                1-26" Weber Kettle
                24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

you are correct. The tank is right around 10'6" round end to end. I thought about wacking them off as to allow for the 8'6" width. Though then adding the firebox would put it back up to about 10 feet. Weld to weld which is where the round ends stop is 7 foot 3 foot wide for the fire box is 10 feet.

On a side note the reason for having it on the side is so I can hav e room to walk in front of it with out being tight.
                  The way I figure it the smoker finished will weigh somewhere around 2k. finished with counter weights wood and gril looking at 3500 to 4k. WOW thats alot of weight. I know see why I need 2 axles.
                  Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                  I seem to recall some pm's with Tim in regards to the length of his 500 gal. propane tank, and I believe that it's at least 10' in length (not counting the firebox). 8'6" is the widest a vehicle or trailer can be here in the U.S.

Comment

How about the firebox underneath ?
                    has the advantage of being more efficient (hot air rises) gives you an end mounted smoker within the width.

have a look at bob ballys build

For some reason the pics no longer show up on mine and all the html code does (looks like all the brackets are < instead of [ )
                    But as far as I remember, it is horizontally mounted at the end of the trailer.
                    Mind you I think he even made the trailer not sure if that makes a difference.

He's done some serious catering with it so it's big enough.
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

you know not a bad idea. Given I am planing on raising the tanka bout two feet or so any way it would cover the space and let me mount it side ways. Still can do the reverse flow and have it mounted sideways giving me more room to move around. Might draw both up this weekend and let you guys look it over.
                      Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                      How about the firebox underneath ?
                      has the advantage of being more efficient (hot air rises) gives you an end mounted smoker within the width.

have a look at bob ballys build

For some reason the pics no longer show up on mine and all the html code does (looks like all the brackets are < instead of [ )
                      But as far as I remember, it is horizontally mounted at the end of the trailer.
                      Mind you I think he even made the trailer not sure if that makes a difference.

He's done some serious catering with it so it's big enough.

Comment

Great thread. I am also having this dilema. I have plans for a large cooker build this winter and need to mount the cooker towards one side of the trailer. Did you come up with a suitable solution?
                        Orchard Hill BBQ

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
                        Modified Chargriller RF
                        250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

Comment

why not make it "L" shaped? hack the ends off, cap the tube, and push it all the way up to the tongue of the trailer, or the back, depending on what truck you plan on pulling it with, exact axle locations, etc. then, put the firebox on one side, but in front, rather than under, behind, or on the side of the tank? it would solve your space issues, and allow you to use the firebox as a heat source for warming your beans, sauces, etc. if you have the time/material/$$$, make a "warming box" and place it on top of the firebox... you get all the heat, without the smoke. plus, you can just add a flue or fresh-air intake to get some cooler air in there if needed. toss some racks and runners in there and you have a primitive oven... i think i need to get to work on one... i bet that'd make one hell of an oven actually... see what you did? you made me get another wild hair oup my ass and now I have to go spend more time and money... my wife despises you.

lol

Later,
                          Andy
                          Current babies:
                          -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
                          -RichTee's Lang :)
                          Former Lineup:
                          -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
                          -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
                          -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
                          -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
                          BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Hey Tim, not a builder myself but check out Bubba Grills. They make some real nice 250 and 500 gallon smokers just the way you are thinking of doing yours. I was in a comp last weekend and one of his 250's with the rib box was there. Nice work and the owner said it towed perfectly.Bubba is a nice guy and I've spoken to him personally. He would give you some help I'm sure.

Here's a link:

http://www.bubbagrills.net/

Comment

Electric jack... hmmm... OK maybe I'm too much an engineer, but what about a couple sideways EJ's or driven threaded rods... make it like a RV slide-out. Just move the smoker over when ready to cook.

Hell, it could be as simple as a mounting plate for smoker attached to some HD bearing races and a latch at either end.

OK now I KNOW I need more sleep....
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                              X