Maple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple

I've read where a lot of people use maple, but never see them state what kind of maple. Are we talking sugar maple, red maple, silver maple, ect...?

I've got a chit load of silver maple thats been drying since last October. I cut the tree down because it was to close to the house. It burns hot and fast so I wouldn't expect long term coals but smells like it would be good for cooking, but I could be wrong.

Just wondering what kind of maple everyone else is using, or if it matters.
    Big Black Johnson
    GOSM 3405BGW
    Old Cimmaron (Ol' Faithful)
    Cast Iron Grill (state park type)

I use Vine Maple quite often...... Especially good with fish, but other stuff as well..... Native to my area & grows everywhere.
    sigpic

Comment

There are some differences as far as I can tell- but small. And I never had a bad maple.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I have Red Maple.. It has a very mellow flavor to me.. Red and Silver are similar.. It's a brittle wood, thus why it goes up like gas... Feel free to use it.. I think you will like the results..
        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
          I have Red Maple.. It has a very mellow flavor to me.. Red and Silver are similar.. It's a brittle wood, thus why it goes up like gas... Feel free to use it.. I think you will like the results..
          Not trying to hijack this thread..... but just an observation & comments..... I was talking with my FIL & a couple relatives tonight about smoking foods, smoking woods, etc..... They all use Vine Maple exclusively...... You could tell them Alder or Hickory was better & even if they liked it better, they would still use Vine Maple...... Because that's the way their grandparents & parents did it & the Native Americans in our area have done it for hundreds of years & so on..... Never aged or dried...... He cuts it the morning that he uses it..... He and one of his Cronies also make Summer Sausage......and it is THE BEST I have ever had, by far..... I have probably tried 20+ or so?...... He uses Freshly cut Vine Maple to smoke it in EVERY TIME!......... He, and all his buds have a similar "smokehouse" about 4' x 4-6' and 8' high+- and the FIL runs a propane burner to keep temps steady....... There is usually 1 that catches fire every year or so and burns down.......... Uncle Bill's caught fire with the Thanksgiving Turkey in it about 8 years ago.... He was liquored up pretty good & video taped it with commentary from his deck in the rain..... .... Anyone in the family under 16 was/is not allowed to watch that video ....... or listen to it...... lol.....*&$*@
          Last edited by Fishawn; 05-30-2010, 09:50 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

I have some maple that is almost ready.
            Drove past some guys about a year back that were cutting down a tree, pulled over and asked what it was and they said maple so I said hell yeah! I'll be back since I was driving my car and it wouldn't fit much wood.
            Came back and stocked up, and they even cut it up for me but as for the kind of maple...well all I know is that it is the smokeable kind
            There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone. I was pretty sure it would be good to use, but wanted ask for opinions first. I have some wild cherry and red oak too so it looks like I'm setting pretty good.

Big Black Johnson
              GOSM 3405BGW
              Old Cimmaron (Ol' Faithful)
              Cast Iron Grill (state park type)

Comment

I agree with everyone...silver and red here and verry nice and mellow....I have used sugar,rock from new england and the wood is much denser and very good as well....Just didnt seem nearly as light as the red/silver....from my memory.

Comment

Working...
                X