what type of wood is this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what type of wood is this

what types are these they were given to me as pecan oak hickory left to right not to sure about the oak and hickory which is which

Terry here
    Still have Christene

From left to right....Hickory,Oak, & Peeeecan! Might be wrong!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
      Thanks but the one on the left i'm sure is pecan its the other 2 in ?
      Terry here
      Still have Christene

Comment

Originally posted by morkdach View Post
        what types are these they were given to me as pecan oak hickory left to right not to sure about the oak and hickory which is which

one on the left is definitely pecan i use enough of it....now the middle i would think is hickory and the right is oak....
        Mike
        Oklahoma City
        22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
        Weber 22.5 Performer
        GOSM 3405gw
        Boomer Sooner Drum
        Maverick ET-732
        Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
        A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

^^ that's what i was thinking........
          sigpic
          it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post
            one on the left is definitely pecan i use enough of it....now the middle i would think is hickory and the right is oak....
            thanks the one on the left i thought was pecan but on another forum i was told it was not .
            but i like your choices heres another pic with the bark.

Terry here
            Still have Christene

Comment

one in the middle is oak.
              That's a bark I do know :-)

other two are definitely bits of trees
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                one in the middle is oak.
                That's a bark I do know :-)

other two are definitely bits of trees
                Yup. Pecan oak hickory. Easy way to tell...hickory's the densest (heaviest). Stuff's like lead!
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Big piece on the left is pecan. Can tell by the color of the wood and bark. Other two both look like oak. By the bark and color and pattern of the wood. Hickory is as white as the pecan is, with a very dark center piece.....a dark center core like the pecan, but slightly larger. Technically, pecan is a type of hickory.

You could also tell by shaving off a sliver and lighting it. Hickory will smell like the pecan, only stronger. Oak smoke will be different. No mistaking hickory for oak.

Hickory doesn't split well.....so I though maybe the middle piece could have been hickory.....with those rough splinters.....more pulled apart than split, but the bark and and color of the woods say oak.

Comment

[QUOTE=hog warden;120300]You could also tell by shaving off a sliver and lighting it. Hickory will smell like the pecan, only stronger. Oak smoke will be different. No mistaking hickory for oak.

QUOTE]

Best way to single out the Oak. No mistaking .

"Yep, , nothing like a nice peice of hickory" Clint Eastwood, Pale Rider.(after taking an axe handle to the bad guys)
                    JT

Comment

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post

The oak is on the right...
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

the one on the right is the lightest of all in weight and splits nice the one in the middle & left just tear not good splitten.
                        the one on the right doesnt smell like hickory when used and not to sure what oak smells like
                        Terry here
                        Still have Christene

Comment

The oak I have splits cleanly...hickory not so much...
                          Craig
                          sigpic

Comment

The problem with making a certain ID on a pile of firewood is further complicated when you remember that for stuff like oak and hickory, there are many varieties within each type. White, shagbark and pignut hickories to name three. Within a five minute walk of where I'm sitting I could find pin oaks, shingle oaks, burr oak, white, red, black and shumard oaks, to name a few. They all have different barks, grain, density and when burned, subtle to stark differences in the odor of the smoke. Seeing the tree (including the site where it grew) and the leaf would make it easy. Lacking that, best guess comes from looking closely at the bark, the wood grain and a smell test. Oak smells like oak even before you burn it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                              Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner
                              https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Working...
                              X