Please welcome Mr. Fugly into the Drumhead Society

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please welcome Mr. Fugly into the Drumhead Society

yes that right folks Mr. Fugly is ready to be entered ....you might remember these pics from a couple of weeks ago

ok i have my built my drum and man it is awesome....
    lets start with the build
    i tried to use what i had or someone let me have and believe or not some of the parts came from a dump on my BIL property
    ok first pic i dont have a step bit so i did it my way

i know looks gnarly but the nipples i had were going to be welded anyway so no big deal

here you can see the nipples

next would be the long nipple with a pvc ball valve now i screwd this up and had to 1" instead of 3/4 no problem actually turned out better this way

next on to the charcoal basket and new 22" grate

now i think my basket is a little big it is on a 18" grate with 12" high expando metal on 3.5" legs...what do you all think about that is it too big??

ok this weekend we went camping out at my BIL property and i decided that would be great time to burn this puppy out it didnt have a liner and it was pretty clean to begin with

i got this drum so hot that at one time the metal became transparent and i could see the coals inside cool huh

right like i said that my BIL property has dump on it that someone keeps dumping their appliances and other stuff he has tried to lock the gates but they keep getting cut anyway i went digging for freebie stuff and i found some ...a chrome exhaust pipe , some bailing wire , and a old bed frame with casters
    the caster you guessed will go on the bottom of my drum , the exhaust pipe will be used for my exhaust and the bailing i used for a charcoal basket handle

with a little bit of sanding and grease the wheels turn like new

ok got everything put together without paint

now with paint

lubing the drum with bacon grease and pam spray

filled the basket with 5 lbs of lump and going all 3 intakes open

at about 20-25 minutes of starting this is where the temps were

another 15-20 minutes this is where the temps are now

ok let this go for another 2 hrs going from 400-550 degrees back and forth and then started to back it down to 275 degrees

ok then i had to put a ceremonial fatty on here a green chile & cheese fatty

on it goes now with a bacon wrap

couple of hours later viola

and after 6 hrs going still had a lot charcoal left

i am really happy i made a drum everything everyone says is true about these i still have to play with mine i figured out that if i put my basket to the ball valve intake and leave 1 other intake open i have really good control of my temps it has been running at 250 degree on the nose for about 4 hrs straight going to leave it going tonite until i go to bed then shut her down......thanks for looking at my Drum beginings
    Mike
    Oklahoma City
    22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
    Weber 22.5 Performer
    GOSM 3405gw
    Boomer Sooner Drum
    Maverick ET-732
    Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
    A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Nice work man!!
    Keith

Comment

Looks great.

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post
      now i think my basket is a little big it is on a 18" grate with 12" high expando metal on 3.5" legs...what do you all think about that is it too big??
      Should be okay. Just don't fill it all the way.

Unless you need to smoke for, say, 36 hours straight.

But then be sure and kick the drum every once in awhile to shake the ash loose.

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

great job looks good
        sigpic
        Brinkman Pitmast Deluxe (with alot of mods)
        Great Out doors grill
        Brinkman verticle
        And one great UDS
        Crooked Creek Viszlas

Comment

You done a darn good job with it, I am sure you will get it dialed in and then the race is on!
          " When you lose, don't lose the lesson "

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
            Looks great.
            Should be okay. Just don't fill it all the way.
            Unless you need to smoke for, say, 36 hours straight.
            But then be sure and kick the drum every once in awhile to shake the ash loose.
            Dave
            What he said. I have a deep basket like that as well. Nice work on the casters. I like mine but found the bolt holes can leak grease when running 3-4 pork butts. On the next set I just ran bolts on the extreme outer perimeter of the drum bottom.

One other question -- looks like your grate is kinda low from the top. I like that for space but will it make it challenging to keep from overheating things?
            Glen
            Large Vertical & 3 UDS (Illini drum by Bubba before he went big-time)
            KCBS CBJ
            Blue Thermopen
            Profile:
            http://www.coltecconsulting.com

Comment

Very Nice Job
              sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=flyin' illini;120193]What he said. I have a deep basket like that as well. Nice work on the casters. I like mine but found the bolt holes can leak grease when running 3-4 pork butts. On the next set I just ran bolts on the extreme outer perimeter of the drum bottom.

One other question -- looks like your grate is kinda low from the top. I like that for space but will it make it challenging to keep from overheating things?[/QUOTE]

yea the reason i did that was i would like to find a weber lid and then i would add another grate closer to the top of the barrell , what i have now will be eventually my second rack....but per bubba sticky he said 7" down from the top of the barrell....
                Mike
                Oklahoma City
                22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
                Weber 22.5 Performer
                GOSM 3405gw
                Boomer Sooner Drum
                Maverick ET-732
                Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
                A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

He hee...Fugly is Cool! Mike...they cook so efficient! Rock On! Ya done good!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

The paint don't make it look so "Fugly" ... Check my sig. ...

Comment

WELCOME -WELCOME MR. FUGLEY

2-22.5'' weber
                      1-18'' weber
                      1 smokey joe
                      22.5'' wsm
                      24'' smoke vault
                      1-outhouse
                      Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                      Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post
                        yea the reason i did that was i would like to find a weber lid and then i would add another grate closer to the top of the barrell , what i have now will be eventually my second rack....but per bubba sticky he said 7" down from the top of the barrell....
                        If your charcoal basket is 3" off the bottom, you should be fine. Assuming it's a 34" tall drum (there abouts) and I think most of them are. Charcoal grate 3" off the bottom and cook grate 7" from the top of a 34" drum gives you 24" between the cook grate and charcoal grate which is what most folks shoot for.

Dave
                        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                        -
                        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Yeah buddy! Boy oh boy that is a sharp looking drum, Mike! You will be sure to enjoy this bad mamma jamma! Nice build
                          Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                          Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Real nice job Mike, and I could murder that fattie
                            Chargriller Pro w. sfb
                            Ducane 4100 propane grill
                            Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Hey Doc, don't look "Fugly" to me. Drums are the king of the crop aren't they? Easy to build, easy to use with very little tending too. There is a learning curve, but whats new? Its a new smoker and they all have a learning curve. But drums are best. I have mine and my cabinet. But I won't let go of my ECB. Everything else went bye-bye.

So now that you have Mr. Fugly, you have to build another. Drums like friends.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X