Mushroom Calzones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mushroom Calzones

Enjoying the pizza kick I am on I decided to try making a calzone. Never had made one before so I kinda made it up as I went along.

I had made a sauce a few days ago for the 2 Pizza thread. Had plenty of that sauce left over so I was set in the sauce department. As for the filling I had a bit of fun. I started off with some onions and garlic sauteing in olive oil.

To it I added a half pound of mixed mushrooms. This mix included: Oyster, Cremini, Shitake and Baby Bella's.

Once the mushrooms had cooked down I added Mache (another leftover from the pizza's. Mache is a small leafy green with a slight bitter/peppery flavor similar to Arugula. It is also known as Rocket.)

Cook till the Mache is wilted down and add some sauce. Not too much though.

Let that cool and take care of your crust. I used the same recipe I have posted in the past.
    Roll the dough out into a thin circle. Add topping to half of it and add some Mozzarella.

Cook on a preheated pizza stone @450 degrees 15 to 20 minutes. I cut a couple slits in the top to allow steam to escape. A bit of the sauce did as well. Notta Problem.

Remove when crust is done on the top and bottom. The sauce will be bubbling as well.

The crust had a nice crumb to it.

Let cool for 5 minutes, Slice and serve with a little bit of the sauce..
    "I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going."
    PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, Battle of the Buldge

Looks great!!! The crust looks crispy & flaky.. I bet it was something good.. Beats the crap out of that Salad Wedge I had at The Cotton Patch Cafe to at lunch..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Nothing wrong with a salad wedge.

Comment

Oh yeah Vlap! That's is definitely a calzone I could get down with!
        Not only does it look fantastic but the mushrooms... that just put it over the top for me!

I'm out of points...anyone got some I can borrow?
        There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

The mushrooms were great. Wish I could have found some Porcini and Lobster Mushrooms to add.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlap View Post
            Nothing wrong with a salad wedge.

I agree, long as it was not from where I had it.. Yuck!
            Ken

Comment

I have seen (and made) some that were very good. Unfortunately its easy to screw up and is severely overused.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                Beats the crap out of that Salad Wedge I had at The Cotton Patch Cafe to at lunch..

sigpic

Comment

I have seen (and made) some that were very good. Unfortunately its easy to screw up and is severely overused.

I had the Fiesta Wedge.. Crumbled Bacon, Cheese, Corn, Diced Tomatoes, Shredded Cheddar cheese, Tortilla Strips with a Chipoltle Dressing.. All I could taste was the cilantro... It overwhelmed all the other flavors..

Then to find out it's not suppose to have cilantro in it...
                  Ken

Comment

I just made an all veggie Calzone. You could easily make this into a salad.

Comment

At least they didn't tell you there wasn't any Cilantro in it.

Cilantro can be dangerous. It does have a strong flavor and if misused will be the only flavor tasted.

Comment

It does have a strong flavor and if misused will be the only flavor tasted.
                        Ain't that the truth!
                        I used to despise cilantro, I mean really hated it with a passion but that's because the first times I tried it there was waaaayayyyyyy too much in the dish so I just assumed cilantro was nasty but now I love it when used properly, even got some in the garden this year and never thought I would want to grow it.

sigpic

Comment

Just beautiful Vlap. Excellent job. Kudos...
                          ---------------------------------------------------
                          I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                          ---------------------------------------------------
                          KCBS CBJ

Comment

Oh that is absolutely off the hook!! I dig it
                            Gnarly post V! Thanks for sharing this!
                            Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                            Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

going to make a cheese steak one myself. Need to get some more mozz cheese and ribeye before I can. Looks good not a mushroom guy but still looks dam good.

Comment

Working...
                              X