I Get To Have A Garden This Year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Get To Have A Garden This Year!

I really didn't think that I'd be able to have a garden this year because by the time I healed enough for the cardiologist to OK me to work in it, it would be too late to plant, I had all but given up. But Diana, her Dad and her Brother worked their behinds off Memorial Day and tilled up not only my raised beds, but my canning tomato bed too. They also planted 72 tomato plants in the canning bed that day.
    Last weekend Diana's Dad came back over and helped us plant another 24 tomato plants in the canning bed for a total of 96 plants and another 24 tomato plants of assorted varieties in my raised beds for our table and to share with neighbors and family.
    After that we planted 24 sweet pepper plants, 24 hot pepper plants, 8 broccoli, 8 cabbage, 12 brussels sprouts, 4 tomatillo, 3 honeydew and 3 cantaloupe plants as well as cucumber, zucchini, summer squash, green bean, cilantro and dill seeds. I got to help by dropping the plants in the holes and dropping the seeds in rows. It don't sound like much but it tuckered me out. Poor Diana did all the hard work of raking all the beds level and wheelbarrowing loads of leaf mulch to pack around the plants and she paid for it by being sore for the next 3 days.

I sure am thankful for my wife and inlaws who knew how much I would miss having all the fresh vegetables right out in the back yard this summer. Diana and I eat from it constantly as soon as things start ripening. Can't wait for the first fresh grilled fajitas using home grown red, yellow and orange bell peppers as well as jalapeņos, tomatoes, tomatillos and cilantro.

A few years back I realized that some day gardening would get harder for me the older I got so I decided to get my garden off ground level where I had to stoop and kneel and build some raised beds. I designed and built 16 raised beds that are the height of a kitchen chair and have benches running down both sides of them. I laid out the paths between them so that I can get my riding mower with a trailer attached to at least one side of each bed and the rest of the paths are the width of a push mower and I can get wheelbarrows and my wagon down them. I use cattle panels with PVC pipe frames for trellises that I can easily move from bed to bed to rotate crops and have plans drawn up to lay and bury water lines to each bed that will be run on timers so I can go on vacation and not have to have someone to water them.
    I didn't take any pics this year yet because none of the seeds have even sprouted and all the plants are babies, but to give you an idea what my garden looks like when it's growing gangbusters, I'll post some pics I took a couple years ago.

Here's what a bed looks like:

Sweet pepper bed in front with a cuke bed behind:

Winter squash and broccoli beds:

Tomato bed with volunteer Mystery squash:

2 zuke beds with tomato beds in the background:

Asparagus beans, cilantro and dill bed:

Right half of the garden:

Left half of the garden:

Garden seen from on top of a ladder:

Canning tomato bed:

Last edited by MichChef; 06-10-2010, 12:43 PM.

Pretty impressive garden there John! Glad you got the help needed to get it going this year.
    sigpic

GOSM/propane
    UDS (Cam)/lump
    22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
    Weber Genesis/propane
    Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Very nice looking garden and set-up....Congrats to family for helping....I grew 76 tomatoes lasy year,but only 50 this year....Nothing like fresh veggies...

Comment

very nice garden I love the raised bed idea Alot of hard work but a big future payback on ease of gardening on a great garden
        sigpic
        Brinkman Pitmast Deluxe (with alot of mods)
        Great Out doors grill
        Brinkman verticle
        And one great UDS
        Crooked Creek Viszlas

Comment

Fine garden! Good on ya'll!
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Beautiful garden! I love those raised beds with the benches on them! Very nice!! So glad you get to have one this year!!
            Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
            Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
            1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
            Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
            Weber Smokey Joe
            Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
            Pink Thermapen
            Purple Thermapen

Comment

Friggin Awesome!
              Al

Comment

Just a beautiful looking garden MichChef...
                ---------------------------------------------------
                I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                ---------------------------------------------------
                KCBS CBJ

Comment

Great garden spread. Gotta love them volunteer plants, ya just never know sometimes if it is a cross breed and they can be preety interesting at times.

Comment

I like what I see there. But whats in the 5 gallon buckets?
                    If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
                    Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Praise God for the helpful family you have. A fine lookin setup indeed.

Just wonderin whats the difference between the canning maters and the others....
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JustSmoke2 View Post
                        I like what I see there. But whats in the 5 gallon buckets?
                        I am gonna guess and say there's tomatoes in them but just a guess...

Comment

Great to see John!..... Hope you are feeling better bud
                          sigpic

Comment

Holy chit that is a nice garden, everything looks like like it is doing great

I got a few tomatoes (28 plants) and know a few other of the gardening folks on the site have even more than that but damn you got a lot of maters growing
                            There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

I'm just guessing that they would be the determinant vs. the non determinant, which means the fruit ripens pretty much all at the same time and the plant is done. The non determinant produce fruit over an extented period of time.

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                              Praise God for the helpful family you have. A fine lookin setup indeed.

Just wonderin whats the difference between the canning maters and the others....

Comment

Working...
                              X