Finally gave in to the smoke....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally gave in to the smoke....

I have been mulling over smokers for over a year now. I have had various forms of smoked items in the past and always loved the various combinations , tastes, and overall choices available to the smoker.

Now understand that I cannot afford a stick-burner which I really would have preferred but still I have to begin somewhere. Working with this site a bit along with Ken and Paul from another site I decided I have to get started at least. I have a grinder, rather old but huge, and looking at slicers as I want to do a bit of jerky and some sausage and such later.

One thing I have plenty of is wood. Hickory, cherry, apple, peach, grape vine. maple, and oak are all indigenous here. Now I have to learn the art and while a master maker of various rubs and sauces I know I am going to have questions. Many many questions....

Here is what I chose to start with...

Specs:

* Consistent propane heat for delicious smoked food
    * Fully welded steel cooking cabinet
    * Three fully adjustable dampers
    * Cast iron wood chip box
    * Porcelain coated water pan
    * Cast brass burner
    * Four adjustable chrome-plated cooking grids
    * Full-size door opening
    * Full-range stainless temperature gauge
    * 1257 sq. inches of cooking space

Packed with cooking features, the Great Outdoors™ Smoky Mountain Series™ Propane Gas Smoker helps make smoking delicious food easy. This durable smoker features a fully welded steel cooking cabinet with three fully adjustable dampers. The long lasting cast brass burner provides steady heat for the food on the smoker's four adjustable chrome-plated cooking grids. Full-size door opening provides good access to add wood or water and check meat while cooking. Door features a cool grip front door locking handle. Cast iron wood chip box. Porcelain coated water pan. Cooker features a wide stance leg pattern for stability. AGA/CSA certified. Full-range stainless temperature gauge included. Dimensions: 45.2'' H x 29'' W x 21'' D. Weight: 91.3 lbs. 36''H x 24''W x 16''D cooking chamber.

I may have to apply a few tweaks I have seen in forums but seems it would be a good place to start to learn the art. Opinions are certainly welcome... BTW the pics attached are actually of a smaller version but were the only ones I could find that weren't flash...
    Attached Files

Well well... finally WE can provide YOU with some help ;{)

The GOSM's a cool unit. Check out the propane section..there's a few tips in there I believe...

And WELCOME to the thin blue!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

And it keeps going and going from here....
      Jerod
      GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks Rich; Yea I have read most of the site as well as some others. Now I need to put it into practice. Drifter and fire; now this should be interesting...

Comment

I have several smokers and all are different. Each has it's own taste in my opinion. A gasser is a great smoker, especially if your experimenting with something new. GOSM's Rock.
          Big Black Johnson
          GOSM 3405BGW
          Old Cimmaron (Ol' Faithful)
          Cast Iron Grill (state park type)

Comment

I think that is a good choice personally..... Buddy has one similar (Cabela's brand) and he loves it..... Best of luck to ya
            sigpic

Comment

And so it begins...
              There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

I have 2 of the GOSM. They are great, easy to use and pretty consistent as to temperatures. One suggestion, don't rely on the thermo in the door, both of mine aren't even close. Get yourself a good digital thermo to monitor your temps. There are lots of them out there to choose from. Personally I like the Maverick ET-73 it has dual probes, one for meat and one for internal smoker temps.

Oh and BTW ......
                Ron

Weber Smokey Mountain
                GOSM x 2
                Vermont Casting Grill
                Black Thermapen (only color available in these parts)

Comment

I got the same one....really like it so far! Get on it! you'll like it!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Dionysus, do you notice a great deal to temp variation from the lower versus upper levels? Also I considered a digital dual gauge like that so thanks for the recommendation... Trying to gather a few items before next weekend as I hope to season it and try her out on Friday. Need to find some seasoned wood around here from some blow-downs as most of the woodpiles are difficult to tell what wood the actually are. Might have to get some chunks from a local store for now but hopefully not.

Comment

Yo Drifter you will like that smoker I to have the big block and had the smaller version which I wish I would have kept now. some of the things I have done is toss the smoke box and get 9 X 9 cake pan for wood and foil the top put tooth pick size holes in it. This will help in smoke control in higher heat cooks. Now my water pan I use for just collecting drippings and foil that also for easy clean up and if you use water foil it for easy clean also. Now for cold smoking this is where I use my chipper box. I will start 4 to 5 pieces of charcoal then add a chunk of wood. In the winter it is easier to keep your temps down low and the summer I cheat it by turning my dial towards off and watch the flame as I shut it off. After awhile you will begin to know your smoker. Also get a note pad to record what you are doing as a reference so if you want to make adjustments you can get the info back and make your notations.
                      If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
                      Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Great to see ya back at it. Nice unit you got there. You'll be smoking in no time...
                        ---------------------------------------------------
                        I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                        ---------------------------------------------------
                        KCBS CBJ

Comment

Drifter, congrats. You'll like that smoker, and soon have it figured out.

JustSmoke2 has some good advice. Go with the square cake pan. Use chunks and not the chips too. I can get 4 + hours of smoke out of mine.

For cold smokes the GOSM isn't the easiest to keep temps down without a needle valve mod. But I found a 1200 watt hot plate/electric range. It'll get the temps around 100 in the dead of winter. Can even do cold smokes in the summer now. On a cooler day and in the shade. Hehe.
                          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                          New Braunfels Bandera
                          UniFlame Gas Grill
                          Lil Chief

Comment

Thanks guys! It is supposed to arrive by the 15th according to Fedex so getting things together. I have read about the cake pan method here I think a couple of times and also about the valve adjustments / tweaks.

@JustSmoke2 : So your saying for a cold smoke to retain the box that comes with and use charcoal / wood chunk as the heat source instead of the burner?

I have quite a lot of steel around here so I wonder if it would pay off to build a heavy gauge box with a lid or lids of various hole sizes. Probably not the first few times but just thinking...

Thanks again... Now I got to get a working digital camera; my good one has been dead over a year and I have been surviving with cell phone pics...

Comment

Originally posted by THE__DRIFTER View Post
                              Now I got to get a working digital camera; my good one has been dead over a year and I have been surviving with cell phone pics...
                              Oh BOY...you better get on that- these guys are really merciless on cell phone pix... oh how do I know it
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                              X