How much should I cook??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much should I cook??

Looking for how many briskets, butts, racks, and 1/2 chickens I should make for the competition. I'm thinkin if I screw up on the butts or brisket, there's no chance of fixin that, , ,so maybe just a couple each? Not sure of the quantities I can expect for each rack of ribs. How many do you get from each that is presentable? As for the chickens, how many 1/2 chickens do you turn in?? I still don't get this whole idea, what, do the judges just dismember the suckers when they get em?
    Any advice would help. Thanx

JT
    JT

For KCBS, I normally do 2 briskies, 2 butts, at least 4 racks of ribs, Louie style, and a dozen chicken thighs or drums. I never have cooked 1/2 chickens for a comp, just pieces.

With the ribs, once they are done to your liking, stand them on edge and carefully cut individual ribs, as straight and evenly as you can between the bones. Choose the straightest and best looking ones to turn in.

Chickens, as I mentioned, are turned in as individual pieces.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

what Hawg said.
      1/2 chix or 1/4's are a waste. they only take 1 bite & thighs cook easiest & have the best TASTE(JUICY).
      for brisket i'd personally just do points.packers are too much meat & cut down on sleep time,not to mention the fat content & trimmage on flats & packers..
      brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
      18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
      cast iron Hibachi
      22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
      & rotisserator
      12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
      stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
      Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
      http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
      my music recordings-
      http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
        For KCBS, I normally do 2 briskies, 2 butts, at least 4 racks of ribs, Louie style, and a dozen chicken thighs or drums. I never have cooked 1/2 chickens for a comp, just pieces.
        With the ribs, once they are done to your liking, stand them on edge and carefully cut individual ribs, as straight and evenly as you can between the bones. Choose the straightest and best looking ones to turn in.

Chickens, as I mentioned, are turned in as individual pieces.
        On the ribs, do you sacrifice every other bone to get as much meat per rib? or divide them equally?

Originally posted by blues_n_cues View Post
        what Hawg said.
        1/2 chix or 1/4's are a waste. they only take 1 bite & thighs cook easiest & have the best TASTE(JUICY).
        for brisket i'd personally just do points.packers are too much meat & cut down on sleep time,not to mention the fat content & trimmage on flats & packers..
        K now I'm confused. The only turn in box I've ever seen was slices of the flat, very uniform. Isn't the Point a little irregular for slicing? Or is that a secondary concern in favor of a better flavor and texture?

Thanx guys.
        JT

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
          On the ribs, do you sacrifice every other bone to get as much meat per rib? or divide them equally?

K now I'm confused. The only turn in box I've ever seen was slices of the flat, very uniform. Isn't the Point a little irregular for slicing? Or is that a secondary concern in favor of a better flavor and texture?

Thanx guys.
          JT in my experience, it is customary to sacrifice every other rib bone. Took us 1 rack just to get the required 7 for the turn in box. I too would cook 4 racks minimum. We did do 2 packers and 2 butts of the 10 pound-ish nature.
          This is an IBCA sanctioned event. Half chickens were the required "cut" for this category, when we competed in April. I would personally cut two fryers in half and pick from the best. Cut and serve the rest. I am no brisky expert, but I thought you were to cut from the flat for sliced turn in. Point does good burnt ends.
          If you are going to join the potluck, expect it at 7:pm serve time. We got screwed on ours. No prior info until cooks meeting 30 min. before the potluck.
          Good luck you guys!!!

Edit: when you pick up your provided turn in boxes, from the judges tent Friday...ASAP! There will most likely be 2 tix taped to the box lid. When you go for turn in you take the second ticket, from the lid , in front of the receiving judge. No probs bud, you'll get it. Watch drips and spills...to much saucing. There is no garnish in IBCA. Just Texas lettuce/foil at the bottom of the box. You on it!
          Last edited by Uncle-Honky; 06-16-2010, 07:08 PM.
          Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
          Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle-Honky View Post
            JT in my experience, it is customary to sacrifice every other rib bone. Took us 1 rack just to get the required 7 for the turn in box. I too would cook 4 racks minimum. We did do 2 packers and 2 butts of the 10 pound-ish nature.
            This is an IBCA sanctioned event. Half chickens were the required "cut" for this category, when we competed in April. I would personally cut two fryers in half and pick from the best. Cut and serve the rest. I am no brisky expert, but I thought you were to cut from the flat for sliced turn in. Point does good burnt ends.
            If you are going to join the potluck, expect it at 7:pm serve time. We got screwed on ours. No prior info until cooks meeting 30 min. before the potluck.
            Good luck you guys!!!

Edit: when you pick up your provided turn in boxes, from the judges tent Friday...ASAP! There will most likely be 2 tix taped to the box lid. When you go for turn in you take the second ticket, from the lid , in front of the receiving judge. No probs bud, you'll get it. Watch drips and spills...to much saucing. There is no garnish in IBCA. Just Texas lettuce/foil at the bottom of the box. You on it!
            That's a brother for ya..... Cool helping another out Ryan....
            sigpic

Comment

Excellent advice and also consistent with what I cook at Comps...they done ya right!

Best of luck Whiskey Fish
              BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
              Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
              I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Thanks gang!
                In talkin to my crew, they really want to use the grill on the chicken and Tri-tip and I'm thinkin a quick light char on the ribs after they've been smoked, as well.
                I'll know more when we are done, but smoking is really not all that big out here and there is a huge flavor difference. I'm thinkin a combination of a long light smoke with a fresh grill taste might just be the ticket. The best of both worlds.
                JT

Comment

K so we are trying to get on this. Please, Are we putting out just one half chicken for all the judges? Just one in a square box?. I'm tellin you , if you hav'nt done this there is no guidance till the cooks meeting.
                  JT

Comment

Yes sir JT. Just 1 half chicken in the provided box, for all them judges. The key word is jointed half chicken. It has to be joined.
                    Good luck!
                    Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                    Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Good luck you guys!!!

Yes sir JT. Just 1 half chicken in the provided box, for all them judges. The key word is jointed half chicken. It has to be joined.
                      Good luck!
                      ED-Zachary!
                      What Ryan said, are you also serving? we were serving tasters at $2 a 2 oz taster. So we had a place to dish out our "extra" packer, butt etc...
                      Im with Ry on the qtys and yep you sacrafice one rib for a perfect one for the box.
                      What are your turn in times? I want to make sure we don't miss any of the fun!
                      xoxox See you guys this weekend!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                        ED-Zachary!
                        What Ryan said, are you also serving? we were serving tasters at $2 a 2 oz taster. So we had a place to dish out our "extra" packer, butt etc...
                        Im with Ry on the qtys and yep you sacrafice one rib for a perfect one for the box.
                        What are your turn in times? I want to make sure we don't miss any of the fun!
                        xoxox See you guys this weekend!
                        It's kinda screwy because we are under the Santa Barbara health dept. We can't serve ANYTHING to the public without a screen room and an approved three compartment sink, but we are required to provide some of each entry to a "volunteers" lunch. So appearantly it's ok to poison volunteers but not tourists
                        Our first turn in time is 930 am for the chix and every hour there after for 5 catagories.
                        Can't wait to see you guys and introduce you to Jim, Ted and Leah.
                        JT

Comment

Rock it Jim, Ted, Leah, Lynn and JT!!
                          Wish I could be there to cheer y'all on!
                          Good luck.
                          Ryan

Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Good luck Team Whiskey Fish.

Figured you guys must be getting ready or already there.

Be sure and keep us posted and tell us all about the results.

Dave
                            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                            -
                            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working...
                            X