X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maverick ProTemp PT 100 review

Maverick ProTemp PT 100 Insta Read Pen Thermometer
    maverickpentghermo.jpg

While this review is not intended to be a comparison of the Mav Pro Temp Thermo to the Thermo Pen most of us are familiar with, some comparisons are inevitable. The Pro Temp seems to be a good alternative to other Instant Read thermos at a market price point of around 70.00 on average. The Thermo Pen as an example is about 90.00. I have handled the Thermo Pen and my subjective feeling is the Thermo Pen may be tougher built.

Construction is of the same plastic as the wireless probes in the Maverick line with additional rubber grip pads at corners and other strategic locations. The company claims it is shock proof but I have not tested this claim as of yet. It is water resistant to IP44 standards and has a very large back lit display of 0.5 inches. The makes reading this unit easy for old eyes like mine and during those late night smokes.

Temps can be set for either Fahrenheit or Celsius via a small set point activated by a ball point pen on the back of the unit. There seems to be little risk of an accidental switch between the two temp standards. Temp range is -40F to 450F. It is factory calibrated with a certification for accuracy of +- 2F. I am as close to sea level without being wet as you can get and during the boiling water test the Pro Temp was on the money at 212F. The read stabilized at 212F within 3 seconds.

There is a auto off feature set at 3 minutes if you leave it powered on. On and off is accomplished by simply folding and unfolding the probe. A nice scale for various meats is printed on the side with suggested internal temps of Rare, Medium, and Well done. It is powered by 3 AAA batteries included. The battery compartment is easy to access via a thumb slide. The Pro Temp warrantee is one year on materials and workmanship defects.

I further tested this unit along side my wireless Maverick thermos on a stuffed tenderloin I did in the oven to assure temps were as stable as possible. All three units were within 3 degrees of each other. I chose to go with the Pro Temp reading at 165F and pulled the loin and rested. The internal color and texture of the tenderloin was as expected and I was content with the purchase.

Because I would never make a buy recommendation for any product I had not used for a significant time I cannot do so at this time here. If the Maverick Pro Temp thermo serves well for an extended time I believe you should consider it as a possible buy in the future.
    sigpic

My Facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...Q/131613189083

Thanks for the comparison Shooter and for giving us another option...
    ---------------------------------------------------
    I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    KCBS CBJ

Comment

Thanks... I like it...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Are they offered in different color choices? If so, which color is the most accurate?
        --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
        www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
          Are they offered in different color choices? If so, which color is the most accurate?
          And which color is fastest?.... I want Red
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks

Been thinkin about one of these, I just have not had much faith in the mavrick products living up to what they claim.

Thanks for the comparison I may give them another shot.

Comment

Thanks for the review Rick - looks like a good pen for the $$
              Scarbelly

Comment

Working...
              X