Here goes, belly bacon time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here goes, belly bacon time

Tripped over a 13 lb belly today shopping at an Amish market. Couldn't resist so it came home with me. It still has the skin on it. Have a couple of questions before I tackle it. I know to trim it to fit zipper bags but how much fat do you leave on? I assume a filet knife works best for taking the skin off? I have TQ, pink salt and BBB mix. Is there any difference in the end taste, curing times or results between the three? Monday is my last day of work for the summer so I can get my smoking fixes again.
    Dawn

New Braunfels Bandera "Grail"
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
    1 Maverick ET-73
    1 Green Thermapen

member #38

You leave most of the fat... unless you want leaner- and "thinner" bacon. And TQ/#1 are not seasoned as the BBB cure is...your choice.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      You leave most of the fat... unless you want leaner- and "thinner" bacon. And TQ/#1 are not seasoned as the BBB cure is...your choice.
      Ok, that's what I figured. Thanks. I've waited a long time to do this. Couple more days and the process will start.
      Dawn

Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
      1 Maverick ET-73
      1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

Nice...yer gonna love the stuff. I use a little garlic, onion and CBP for seasonings, and usually TQ. I have used #1 once... remember to add salt if ya use it.

And as far as TQ... I used 2 teaspoons/Lb. instead of the 1 tablespoon...as there's alot of fat that doesn't need curing in bacon. Pay particular attention with the cure on the meaty portions.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          Nice...yer gonna love the stuff. I use a little garlic, onion and CBP for seasonings, and usually TQ. I have used #1 once... remember to add salt if ya use it.

And as far as TQ... I used 2 teaspoons/Lb. instead of the 1 tablespoon...as there's alot of fat that doesn't need curing in bacon. Pay particular attention with the cure on the meaty portions.
          I'm debating whether to use TQ and BS or use the BBB kit. Right now I'm thinking the TQ, but I have been known to change my mind at the last minute.
          Dawn

Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
          1 Maverick ET-73
          1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

Originally posted by irishteabear View Post
            I'm debating whether to use TQ and BS or use the BBB kit. Right now I'm thinking the TQ, but I have been known to change my mind at the last minute.
            Whichever you decide make sure to desalinate after curing to get the amount of saltiness you like. I like to scrub the brine/cure off with a little scrub brush, then fry a little slice. If it is too salty, soak for an hour in cold water. Take another taste. Keep soaking until its right.
            Keith

Comment

I'll be watching this one .still looking for my belly
              2-22.5'' weber
              1-18'' weber
              1 smokey joe
              22.5'' wsm
              24'' smoke vault
              1-outhouse
              Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
              Smoked meathead #135

Comment

I got no problem finding my belly but that has little to do with makin bacon.........eating bacon maybe...........

Lookin forward to seeing how this turns out...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Dawn
                  You are going to love the bacon - I have a freezer full of it right now and man it is good
                  Scarbelly

Comment

I'll be trying to learn from this post. I went to my butcher this weekend to get some belly, but he said they won't be in until tomorrow, so I'm hoping to get some pointers and views from here prior to starting....Thanks all.

Comment

Working...
                    X