Going to get one started. Question about the welding equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to get one started. Question about the welding equipment

I recently purchased a used pig roaster. Pics will follow shortly. I think it is a 500 gallon, already on a trailer and used to be a gas burner. I am planning to convert it into a r.f. wood burner so it is going to need quite a bit of work. My first question is about the welding. I do not have access to any equipment so I am considering buying my own. What type of welder is best to use? Is an arc welder necessary or can I get by with wire welding? Just want to make sure it won't crack apart on me later. Thanks in advance for helping out with my FIRST question!

Dave

A wire or mig welder is the simplest to use and does a great job Just make sure you buy one that is big enough to do the job
    sigpic
    Brinkman Pitmast Deluxe (with alot of mods)
    Great Out doors grill
    Brinkman verticle
    And one great UDS
    Crooked Creek Viszlas

Comment

for everything you are wanting to do a Millermatic 140 would be fine. It won't weld a crazy thick piece of metal. But with beveling your pieces it will do great. You can also manipulate your puddle while welding and get better penetration if needed. Make sure what ever welder you get if you go with a mig that it is gas capable. Brand new you can find them for about $650 or so. Then you will need gas to weld with also. Hope this helps. Nothing bigger is necessary
      Jerod
      GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks!

That's great. Thanks for the help.

Dave

Comment

if your new to welding yes mig is the way to go.
          if you can go with the millermatic 140 autoset thats great.
          if price is a problem go with the hobart handler its less xpensive but also has a tap voltage instead of variable. can run on gas or flux just like the miller
          good luck on this but if you can stay away from the cheap mig like harbor frieght or the like as they cost more to fix than new
          Terry here
          Still have Christene

Comment

Originally posted by morkdach View Post
            if your new to welding yes mig is the way to go.
            if you can go with the millermatic 140 autoset thats great.
            if price is a problem go with the hobart handler its less xpensive but also has a tap voltage instead of variable. can run on gas or flux just like the miller
            good luck on this but if you can stay away from the cheap mig like harbor frieght or the like as they cost more to fix than new
            I'm glad you said this. Just yesterday my cousin was saying I should go to Harbor Frieght cause they have them so cheap. You probably just saved me a bundle of $$ and frustration.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by GratefulDave View Post
              I'm glad you said this. Just yesterday my cousin was saying I should go to Harbor Frieght cause they have them so cheap. You probably just saved me a bundle of $$ and frustration.

Dave
              I have one in the shop now it is only 5 months old from what the customer tells me and it has a 5 year warrenty.He bought this at a tool sale and they said take it to a repair center that can do the warrenty. I have not found one in the USA yet
              Terry here
              Still have Christene

Comment

Ya when it comes to welding equipment you gotta stick with the big 3. (miller, lincoln, hobart) there are others out there but customer service and available parts are a big thing when something goes wrong.
                Jerod
                GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GOT14U View Post
                  for everything you are wanting to do a Millermatic 140 would be fine. It won't weld a crazy thick piece of metal. But with beveling your pieces it will do great. You can also manipulate your puddle while welding and get better penetration if needed. Make sure what ever welder you get if you go with a mig that it is gas capable. Brand new you can find them for about $650 or so. Then you will need gas to weld with also. Hope this helps. Nothing bigger is necessary
                  Dave, I have an older Hobart Handler 120 and wouldn't trade that little dude for anything. The only thing I will add to G's recommendation is this: If you have to work outside, which I do, you may run into some issues using gas. If you're inside, that is 100% the way to go. Outside, you'll need either a good wind break, or just use flux core wire. A little messier to the eye, but works just as good.

Can't wait to see this as you go along.

Comment

Working...
                  X