Ugly Drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugly Drum

This was the 110 gal. fuel oil tank that came with my house. I filled it with water and a bottle of dish detergent and let it soak for a couple of weeks, cut it with a grinder. The firebox is a stainless DE filter from commercial pool connected to the cook box with three 1.5" steel pipes with two 45 deg connectors in between. The firebox is offset to the back side.

It maxed out at 225 to 250 deg. F. I could get it to 300 F if I pushed it.

Then I got to reading a bit in here and realized I was loosing my heat out the smokestacks and loosing the smoke too. So off to Home Depot for some 4" dryer vent, 3 - 4" connectors and 3 - 4" hose clamps. I centered them under the smoke stacks and ran them down to the cooking surface. The center directly to the back, the end ones to the front corners.

I did test burn yesterday. It came up to temp in half the time, increased my cooking temp by 30 - 50F and evened out the surface temp to between 5 and 10 F across the surface.

I have a pork tenderloin and a brisket in there now so we'll see. I already had to cut back on the air intake to keep the temp down.

Thanks folks for the info.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

thats great man ...there is a load of info here on this site and if there is something you cant find just ask and someone will respond.....
    Mike
    Oklahoma City
    22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
    Weber 22.5 Performer
    GOSM 3405gw
    Boomer Sooner Drum
    Maverick ET-732
    Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
    A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

If it works, that's all that matters! I'll admit it's different!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I need to try the dryer vents in my cabinet smoker and see how it changes things. I don't have any problem with lack of smoke to the meat. But I do have heat loss/reg issues.

But I think what you have put together is great. I have a tank about the same size sitting out in the pile right now waiting for a use. Might be a future project in it. It does have a cut about 6 inches in that would need to be welded shut.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
          I need to try the dryer vents in my cabinet smoker and see how it changes things. I don't have any problem with lack of smoke to the meat. But I do have heat loss/reg issues.

But I think what you have put together is great. I have a tank about the same size sitting out in the pile right now waiting for a use. Might be a future project in it. It does have a cut about 6 inches in that would need to be welded shut.
          See if you can put the "cut" to work somehow - door, vent. Be careful if it had fuel in it at one time, very explosive if there is only a teaspoon of fuel left in it.
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

nice work there - I went to an exhaust shop to fix my exhuast problem but I like yours because you can get it out of the way or your cooking
            sigpic
            Brinkman Pitmast Deluxe (with alot of mods)
            Great Out doors grill
            Brinkman verticle
            And one great UDS
            Crooked Creek Viszlas

Comment

Put the dryer vent pipe on yesterday and did a test burn with MOINK. My lump consumption and heat loss were lessoned and had fewer temp spikes. Of course at the same time I also sealed up a seam that was damaged from the last storm when the cabinet was "moved".
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X