5th Generation Mutant Sunflowers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5th Generation Mutant Sunflowers

I let tops dry on sunflowers in one corner of garden and shake seeds in and they volunteer every year....

Last years mutant was 13 foot and the mother of this years mutants...

Shovel is five foot out of ground...

I have 2 distinct from that monster this year...They might be 7 footers this year....

Named this one Tiger

Heres Woods...He has 5-6 more little heads forming along with main head...

Who knows what next year will bring....Original seed was Russian Mammoth.

My main crop are along front edge of garden and are only 4 foot tall...
    Last edited by ALX; 07-02-2010, 07:51 PM.

I have yet to have a Giant Mutant Sunflower Nightmare...... Yet!
    sigpic

Comment

I ain't never grew one over 4 ft. What a big azz plant!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Me to there Slanted, mine are usually between 4 and 6 feet, never taller than 6 feet. Not even sure what kind they are, I am guessing native Kansas sunflower seed. When we moved here I grabbed the head of one growing wild that was just starting to drop seeds and brought it home.
        sigpic

Comment

i've actually grown the mammoths here and i think the most i got was around 12' high, and i've had some huge seed heads too! also on one mutant i counted over 20 flowers.....that thing was a weird one.
          sigpic
          it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Well, maybe I'll just have to try to find me some Russian Mammoth seeds for next year. Any special planting info for these or are they just typical of most sunflowers?
            sigpic

Comment

Huh... never seen one anywhere near that height. Interesting stuff. How are the seeds?
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                i've actually grown the mammoths here and i think the most i got was around 12' high, and i've had some huge seed heads too!
                lookin at the back fence (8') mine might have been closer to 10'.........but then again, i think i'm 6' tall and have a 4" ...............both of which are fantasies!
                sigpic
                it's all good my friend..........

Comment

How the heck do you do that Bud. I can't grow crap. I'm trying to grow peppers this year and it's not looking good. You have the touch Bud...
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  KCBS CBJ

Comment

Shoot... havent planted sunflowers in ...maybe 6 years...still cant get rid of them.........I treat them like weeds and remove them as soon as they sprout...and still I have sunflowers....
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Your green thumb skills rock,Alex.I think maybe you got some wierd water up there
                      sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Working...
                      X