Questions on using the UDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on using the UDS

Ok, got the first UDS built. Question is, how much charcoal does one put in the basket? In the other post, the guy I built this for wants to do spare ribs for his first smoke. The basket is 13 1/2" dia by 10" tall. I sure don't want to run out of fuel, then again, I don't want to waste any either.

Also, while I'm in question mode, for those of you who use UDS, how much charcoal would you use if you were smoking a large brisket? Just to get an idea.
    Red Oak is what we are hoping to use, provided they have some in stock.
    Thanks guys, and gals, hope your 4th is a blast
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

this is just me but i fill my basket up....the reason is that when you are done with whatever you are cooking you shut her down with the vents and then you have charcoal to use for the next time.....now this is what i do but if i were to guess for spare ribs i would use about 5# of lump.....
    Mike
    Oklahoma City
    22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
    Weber 22.5 Performer
    GOSM 3405gw
    Boomer Sooner Drum
    Maverick ET-732
    Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
    A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post
      this is just me but i fill my basket up....the reason is that when you are done with whatever you are cooking you shut her down with the vents and then you have charcoal to use for the next time.....now this is what i do but if i were to guess for spare ribs i would use about 5# of lump.....
      Yea, what this man said.
      sigpic

Comment

I tend to fill the basket to the top and use the left overs for grilling. I can't seem to get the same temps out of the stuff that's sat in the drum for a while.

But with time he'll be able to dial in the amount of charcoal he needs for each smoke.
        ~Phillip

"Okay Hunny, so my hobby is collecting other hobbies. Atleast I'm well rounded!"

Comment

My basket is 13.5" in diameter by 8" tall. I usually fill it about 2/3 full if I'm doing ribs or butts. I might go 3/4 full if I'm doing a big brisket. I'll fill it all the way if I'm doing a big brisket in December and the lows are expected to hit the 20s. If you fill it way full, remember to shake the drum once in awhile to knock the accumulated ash loose.

Originally posted by ptt49er View Post
          But with time he'll be able to dial in the amount of charcoal he needs for each smoke.
          What he said. Better to have some left over than to run out. You can always reuse it and as time goes on, he'll be able to guage it pretty close.

Dave
          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
          -
          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working...
          X