Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickled Sausages

First attempt at pickling sausages
    okay folks, we've been talking about it, and i finally did it..........

first shot is of the fixin's

i have apple cider vinegar, a hot wax top of cutting board, 2 small sweet nanners, half a large onion, recipe called for a small one, but had this one in fridge to use up. 14oz keilbasa, recipe called for 2 lbs, but used what i had, so i made do with half a pack of hotdogs, crushed red pepper flakes i made myslef from our garden. pickling spice. 10 drops of red food coloring

put 2 wide mouth canning jars in boiling water to heat up. Boiled up the liquids (don't worry folks, recipe to follow.... ). after they reached boiling point, simmered for 5 minutes. Packed the hot jars fresh outta the water, with some onion on the bottom and then layered the peppers, more onions, hot dogs, sausage, till almost to the top. Poured half of the simmering liquid in the jars. This was not enuff liquid, so i topped off with more vinegar. Took the HOT jar lid outta the boiling water, and placed on top. make SURE the lid is wiped clean. THIS A IMPORTANT STEP, cause the vinegar will degrade the rubber seal on the jar lid. Placed the ring ontop, and twisted down tite. Will wait for the jars to kewl down, then refridge for couple days at least. From what i read, the longer it sits, the better it gets.

Final shot

Recipe:
    2 lbs pre-cooked keilbasa (or what ever you want to use, but must have been either cooked at the factory, or you will have to do so. Once i get back to sausage making, will be using my own!)

1 small onion sliced

1 cup water

3/4 cup brwn sugar

3 cups vinegar of your choice

1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes

1 tbl pickling spices.

Thats the recipe i pulled off the web, but changed it up abit, as in adding food coloring. Found that in another recipe. Plus i added the peppers since we got em out our arse atm in the garden.

any question, please ask

d88de
    Last edited by Walking Dude; 08-06-2009, 06:15 PM.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Okay ya convinced me to get off my ass & do this gig! I like it!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

My god that jar is like something you'd see in a 70s horror movie. Made me cross my legs and almost cry!

Comment

Looks good Dude!
        About how long ya gonna make us wait before ya taste em??
        Gene

sigpic

The Farm...
        http://gardenofeatn-rhf.blogspot.com/

Comment

couple weeks........at least !

longer they sit, the better they get !

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by ChadTower View Post
            My god that jar is like something you'd see in a 70s horror movie. Made me cross my legs and almost cry!
            i think it was a tv show Chad........i know the one you are talking about......with the head in the jar...............LOL

Comment

I remember this post Dude, how did you like them?
              sigpic

Comment

WD could this be done in a pressure canner so you could store
                un-refrigerated.
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                  I remember this post Dude, how did you like them?

they were GREAT..........need to make up some more

yeap six pack.........i have the pressure cooker, but i knew just the 2 jars wasn't going to last long, so no need to go to all that effort.

Mark (daboys) posted his, so FINALLY got to get my recipe to post here. Several folks asking me how i did it..........and being the .........ahhh.........absent minded person i am, wanted to get the recipe over here.

Comment

will be doing these here again, in the next couple daze........changing up abit, with vienna sausages, lil smokies, and other meats..........

Comment

These would be some good snacks Dude... I like them...
                      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Looks great, WD. I had some pickled bologna juice from what my brother brought out from Michigan in July. Bologna didn't last long, but I put some of my homemade Polish sausage in the pickle. Good stuff!
                        sigpic
                        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

bump3
                          Mark
                          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

too bad the pics are gone...
                            Craig
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                              too bad the pics are gone...
                              Too bad he is gone...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment