Pizza off the Weber kettle w/pics:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza off the Weber kettle w/pics:

Decided I wanted to tackle some pizzas on the 22.5" Weber kettle. Made a basic dough and let it rise most of the afternoon, also made a basic pizza sauce. Toppings i chose from were some sliced mushrooms, diced green pepper, prosciutto, Reggiano parmesan, goat cheese, and fresh mozz.

Sauce ingredients were:

(1) can peeld whole tomatoes
    4 cloves of garlic
    pinch of oregano
    pinch of basil
    1 tsp olive oil.

Just puled in the food processor. Simple is best

Dough was:

4.5 cups unbleached flour
    1.5 cups warm water
    6 packages yeast
    1.5 tsp salt
    1 tbsp sugar
    1 tbsp olive oil.

Put the flour in a bowl, put the yeast on top, poured the water and suhar over the top and let it go for about 5 minutes. Then topped it with the salt and olive oil and miked, and kneaded. Tossed it back in a bowl with olive oil and covered it for a few hours, punching it down each time it doubled. Cut it into 4 sections,a nd hand pulled the dough for each pizza.

My Weber was set up with a foil wrapped concrete concrete paver, I used coconut charcoal and hickory as fuel. The pizzas took about 15 minutes each, and got better as my technique got better and the Weber got hotter.

dough just mixed:

doubled:

Weber ready to go:

sauced:

# 1(egg, parm, goat cheese, green pepper, mozz, prosciutto)sorry no finished pic of this one):

#2(parm, mushroom, green pepper, goat cheese, mozz):

# 3(parm, prosciutto, mushroom, green pepper, goat cheese, mozz):

Foil wrapped paver acted as a pizza stone held the heat, crisped the crust, an easy, cheap, last minute decision by me. Coconut charcoal burned hot, and the hickory helped keep the temps up, and gave everything a little smokey kick.

I am a big fan of Chicago's tavern style thin crust pizzas with a crisp almost cracker like crust, and these were it. Alot of folks think Chicago style pizza is pan pizza, but most Chicagoans eat thin crust and leave the pan and deep dish stuff for the tourists.

learned alot, had some fun, most likely Ill try again.

thanks for looking.
    Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Looks great and I like the foil wrapped paver idea !!! The egg threw me off a little, never heard of it except scrambled on breakfast pizza.....
    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

thanks,

some pizza spots around here will do an egg on the pizza like that for during lent.

Egg yolk surprisingly(or not surprisingly) works on almost everything.

Comment

Nice BBQ pie Chef! Damn you got to be gettin' points for that paver improvisation buddy BOOOYAA!! Awesome rig gig!
        Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
        Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle-Honky View Post
          Nice BBQ pie Chef! Damn you got to be gettin' points for that paver improvisation buddy BOOOYAA!! Awesome rig gig!

thanks man, I kind of thought of that on the fly since I couldnt get a pizza stone anywhere on short notice.

Comment

Great post Jim... And points coming on reload for the paver stone mod and pretty much everything else in the thread...lol.. I am a big fan of the thin crust like you described and can't wait to give it a try.... Bravo!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
              Great post Jim... And points coming on reload for the paver stone mod and pretty much everything else in the thread...lol.. I am a big fan of the thin crust like you described and can't wait to give it a try.... Bravo!

thanks.

I was concerned about the paver, but read up alot and figured it was safe. Just in case, cooking on the foil and not directly on it eased my mind.

It was a 12" and probably 2-3" thick paver I got at Super Wal mart for $1.58. Didnt crack, and the longer it was over the heat the better it worked. Another thing I did was scatter wood chips around the pizza on the grate to get the heat up as high as i could.

Comment

I have a pampered chef stone that I have used on my gas Weber, but read they are prone to cracking at higher heat... I think the foiled paver stone might just be the answer... I am not on my PC, so I can't see pics well on Blackberry, did you put the foiled paver directly on the coals or elevate it a bit?
                sigpic

Comment

I have a pampered chef stone that I have used on my gas Weber, but read they are prone to cracking at higher heat... I think the foiled paver stone might just be the answer...
                  My wife has a collection of Pampered Chef stones, but they are off limits to me using them on grills, I think the next trip to Walmart a paver stone might be in order cause I can see the use in both my Smokey Joe and 22 1/2" Weber !!!
                  --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                  www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

i like them thin crust like you describe better than the thick pan pizzas myself. ni job and to you bud!!!

wtf has ozzie got the ws on anyway. cked the standings today after we finally beat detroit and they were only .5 outta first. looks like they been on one heck of a tear!!! good for them, gotta love ozzie!!!
                    Charbroil SFB
                    GOSM
                    MES
                    Dutch Ovens and other CI
                    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

I am not on my PC, so I can't see pics well on Blackberry, did you put the foiled paver directly on the coals or elevate it a bit?
                      I had the stone on the grill grates, seemd to work good.

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
                        i like them thin crust like you describe better than the thick pan pizzas myself. ni job and to you bud!!!

wtf has ozzie got the ws on anyway. cked the standings today after we finally beat detroit and they were only .5 outta first. looks like they been on one heck of a tear!!! good for them, gotta love ozzie!!!
                        thanks man,

im not sure but it has been a good month of baseball, cant remember the Sox going 25-5 before.

Actually the Sox are in first place .5 games up on the Tigers, and 3.5 up on the Twins. Should be a good 4 game set up in the Twin Cities starting Thursday. I think the division is going to be a 3 team race down to the final week/game.

Comment

Great looking pizzas, Jim.

I've been meaning to try this on my UDS with my wife's Pampered Chef baking stone.

I have a pampered chef stone that I have used on my gas Weber, but read they are prone to cracking at higher heat...
                          Uh oh . . .

Maybe I'll need to pick up a paver instead.

Dave
                          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                          -
                          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Great call on the paver!
                            I'm with you on the ultra thin crust thing too. I guess I fell for the stereo-type deep dish chicago title too. Never have liked that pile of goo
                            great job on the pizzas.

JT
                            JT

Comment

thanks guys, I have also read that unglazed ceramic tile can be used as well. I may have to run up to Home Depot and take a look at that option.

Comment

Working...
                              X