High Heat Cooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Heat Cooks

Decided to put this in the UDS forum since it is more about lighting and getting to high heat than cooking the tri tip that I used for a test.

But first . . . the tri tip . . . here it is.

Trimmed it up a bit.

Then seasoned it with Pappy's. Put it in a shaker with smaller holes since the Pappy's shaker just has 3 big holes and it's hard to put it on without it getting too thick.

All seasoned and on it's way to the fridge.

Now on to lighting the drum. Usually when I try to use the drum for a high heat (350°+) cook I would put down a layer of unlit charcoal in the basket then light a chimney full of lit into the basket and let it come up to temp. But this seemed to take too long -- 20 minutes for the chimney to light, then another 20 minutes for the unlit charcoal in the drum to light and or stabilize and the temp to come up. So I figured if I were able to light the whole charcoal load while it was in the drum, it would work better.

So I grabbed the lighter fluid, put the basket in the drum, doused the charcoal, waited 10 minutes and tossed in a match.

Heh, just kidding. You guys know I would never use lighter fluid. Although I'm sure that would have been fun to watch from the neighbor's yard. (Hold my beer and watch this. )

What I actually did was set the drum up like a big charcoal chimney.

I put the ash pan down with some paper towels in it . . .

Took the loaded charcoal basket . . .

Lowered it into the drum and lit the paper towels.

It worked GREAT!!

After about 20 minutes, the smoke cleared up and I slid the 12" deep fryer thermo into the drum for a temp.

YIKES! Ready to do some pizzas!! I slide the thermo back out and put the lid on leaving the vents open. I closed down the valve and left both caps off and it settled in at around 375°.

It seemed to cruise there pretty happily. I put the tri tip on and let it go for about 30 minutes. Then I checked it. It was about 115° but the outside texture was not the way I liked it so I opened the valve up a bit. The drum worked it's way up to 400° and seemed pretty happy there.

About 10 minutes before taking the tri tip off, I put some foil wrapped corn around the edges of the cook grate and let them go for 20 minutes. The drum was just cruising along at 400° with both caps off and the valve about 1/2 open. I figure that will be PERFECT for the next time I do chicken.

Here is the tri tip after about 40 - 45 minutes.

Didn't get any sliced pics of it. Tasted fantastic but I let it go a little too long. Not much pink left. The corn came out good to but probably could have been on just a tad longer.

So . . . lighting the drum like a big charcoal chimney will work GREAT for high temp cooks. Looking forward to the next chicken run and trying a pizza on the stone one of these days.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Another great walk through DDave. Looks like all turned out good . How is that Pappy's Rub?
    ---------------------------------------------------
    I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    KCBS CBJ

Comment

Originally posted by Zeeker View Post
      How is that Pappy's Rub?
      It's excellent on tri tip. Pretty tasty on chicken too.

Never tried it on pork though. I just stick with Rich's rub most of the time on pork.

Dave
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      -

Comment

Great photo essay Dave, been thinkin about doin the UDS thing, maybe after the Walle Wok is done.

Originally posted by Zeeker View Post
        Another great walk through DDave. Looks like all turned out good . How is that Pappy's Rub?
        Like Dave alluded to, be careful not to use too much. Great flavor but very salty. I use the low sodium version now, 50% less salt and very tasty.
        JT

Comment

Great Post Dave..... Seems like you can do just about anything on that UDS..... Looking forward to you Pizza post
          sigpic

Comment

Love my Drum......got a piza pan bolted to the bottom...of my basket.but like the idea of starting the fire in the drum....(liked to have soaked down the key board when I read about the lighter fluid...good laugh.

Ok let me ask ....What is a tri-tip? I live in Ok and we dont have that kina cut here I dont think?
            Looked good man...thanks Dave.
            sigpic

Comment

yea we dont see tri tip here that much i did find some at sams the other day but was very expensive it was like $4.95lb and the were 3-4lbs ea
              Mike
              Oklahoma City
              22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
              Weber 22.5 Performer
              GOSM 3405gw
              Boomer Sooner Drum
              Maverick ET-732
              Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
              A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Originally posted by Okie joe View Post
                Ok let me ask ....What is a tri-tip? I live in Ok and we dont have that kina cut here I dont think?
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri_tip

I did another high heat cook today (I know, I know, no pics yada yada ) but with chicken thighs. Put down a good layer of Kingsford Comp in the bottom. It was 1 or 2 briquettes deep most of the way and lit it in the drum as before.

It cruised nicely at 400° for 20 minutes or so then started creeping back down to 350°. I could lift the lid, fiddle with the chicken and it would spike back up but then drift back down. I think the Weber lid with the one vent kind of starves it for air to keep it in the 400s.

Chicken came out pretty good though. Skin was not crisp (not that I was going to eat it anyway) but the chicken had a good texture to it. I'm toying with the idea of adding another Weber vent to the lid.

Had temps above 350° for more than 2 hours on that smallish load of charcoal. It's been kind of fun experimenting with it.

Dave
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                -

Comment

Working...
                X