Bacon Candy Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacon Candy Bar

Someone here has probably already posted something about this stuff, but I couldn't find it if they did.

My step-brother and his family came to visit a couple weeks ago. I don't know them very well, but I like them. And I'm hoping to get to know then better now that my dad and step-mom live here in Missouri. .
    He brought these candy bars with him and they are excellent.

I love dark chocolate and I'd have never believed that apple wood smoked bacon could have made it better, but it does.
    The down side is that they are damned expensive. So I'll always have my memories, because I will NEVER pay 7 bucks for a candy bar that ain't gonna chip my teeth with gold nuggets.

Tom

oh my god, DON"T show this to momma ! ! ! ! ! !

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Well here ya go then WD. http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/produ...tic_candy_bars

Tom

Comment

sure looks like that could be cloned............

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

mmmmmmm..... I would try it.... I guess it's really good on Maple Bars also
          sigpic

Comment

Here is one that is half the price and someone told me was real good - have not tried it myself

http://www.madeinoregon.com/detail.a...mpaign=Froogle
            Scarbelly

Comment

Tom see if you can find my bacon chocholate cip cookie post thier over the tp
              Ill try this ?should be the link
              http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8160
              2-22.5'' weber
              1-18'' weber
              1 smokey joe
              22.5'' wsm
              24'' smoke vault
              1-outhouse
              Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
              Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by minnbill View Post
                Tom see if you can find my bacon chocholate cip cookie post thier over the tp
                Ill try this ?should be the link
                http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8160
                Wife is on it. As soon as the cool of evening gets here, she's firing up the oven.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Scarbelly View Post
                  Here is one that is half the price and someone told me was real good - have not tried it myself

http://www.madeinoregon.com/detail.a...mpaign=Froogle
                  it's also half the size - so basically same price.

But come on we've all got accurate food therms - tempering chocolate is simply a matter of adjusting it's temps a couple of times before you pour it.

Chocolate moulds are available from lots of shops.

At those prices it's definitely a do-it-yourself deal :-)

Crystal Melting temp. Notes
                  I 17 °C (63 °F) Soft, crumbly, melts too easily.
                  II 21 °C (70 °F) Soft, crumbly, melts too easily.
                  III 26 °C (79 °F) Firm, poor snap, melts too easily.
                  IV 28 °C (82 °F) Firm, good snap, melts too easily.
                  V 34 °C (93 °F) Glossy, firm, best snap, melts near body temperature (37 °C).
                  VI 36 °C (97 °F) Hard, takes weeks to form.
                  Generally, the chocolate is first heated to 45 °C (113 °F) to melt all six forms of crystals.[45] Next, the chocolate is cooled to about 27 °C (81 °F), which will allow crystal types IV and V to form. At this temperature, the chocolate is agitated to create many small crystal "seeds" which will serve as nuclei to create small crystals in the chocolate. The chocolate is then heated to about 31 °C (88 °F) to eliminate any type IV crystals, leaving just type V. After this point, any excessive heating of the chocolate will destroy the temper and this process will have to be repeated.
                  And that's all there is to it.

Best way to heat up chocolate is in a glass bowl over hot (not boiling) water.
                  To cool down, simply remove the bowl from the above the water till the chocolate cools to the required temp.

I'd add the bacon crumbs at 81 - the agitation stage.

If you don't care one fig whether it's tempered or not, just melt chcocolate in the microwave and stir in bacon bits :-)
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

There's a place out here on the coast (about 45 minutes from me) that sells just about anything you can think of, dipped in chocolate. Bacon is one of their big sellers, though I must admit I'm more of a fan of the dipped twinkies. Anyway, they do dark chocolate bacon and maple covered bacon (white chocolate with maple flavoring).

Seems like rather than try to get all fancy and make an actual bar, just pouring the melted chocolate over some cooked bacon pieces would be easier.
                    Mike
                    Life In Pit Row

Comment

Working...
                    X