Suon Nuaong(vietnamese style) grilled pork chops w/pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suon Nuaong(vietnamese style) grilled pork chops w/pics

I am a big fan of Chinese food as alot of folks know, I also enjoy Korean, Vietnamese and Thai food alot, and with more frequency. I am pretty lucky to live close enough to Chicago so I know can get to authentic asian restaurants and stores.

Recently I have been on a huge Thai and Vietnamese kick. The flavors are fresher, and lighter than Chinese food, a mix of grilled meats, and crisp veggies or spicy fruit salads.

This is my version of Suan Nuaong, a marinated pork chop dish. Marinade is basic, soy sauce, fish sauce, garlic, ginger, black pepper, honey, green onion and I used some Dr. Pepper since I was not marninating long and wanted the meat to break down a little.

Grilled over Coshell briquettes on the Weber kettle.

I served this main with a Filipino garlic rice, basically a striped down fried rice. Sauteed, browned chunks of garlic, rice and oil in the wok. Some green onions mixed in at the end. I topped the rice with 2 fried eggs, and served a garinish of cucumbers, carrot julienne, and red leaf lettuce. The crunchy textures of the veg side mix great with the grilled meat, the rice and the egg. The egg yolk goes grea with everything.

My plate:

chop closeup:

thanks for checking out my pics/thread.
    Last edited by chisoxjim; 07-16-2010, 09:09 PM.
    Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Jim, your making me hungry for my sister-in-laws food. She is Vitnamese, from the Phu Bai area. She has taught most of us in the family how to make most of it. My favorites and bests are the soups, although I use chickens and dove in mine. They use, well, lets just say its not always chicken or dove. She makes some mean pork chops though I will tell ya that. Me and my older sister don't live in the city near them anymore, but the rest of the family do. They all stumble over that way once a week still for her food. Almost worth the trip. But, they live in one of those city area's, you know, a home owners association. They won't let her do her best food cooking outside, so she does it all inside. Not the same. The part they hated most was her cooking pit. They even made them one year shrink their garden. Said it was too big and out of control. The garden was big, but it was definitely under control. Not a weed in it and every kind of herb and vegetable you could think of.

Anyhow, your food looks great. I can smell it and I know it tasted as good as it smelled.
    sigpic

Comment

Oh yea, forgot one thing. You keep pushing that Coshell and many of us are going make start supplying us with it. I am about ready to ship you out a money order plus shipping for some. I bet others are probably about ready to do the same. Maybe if many of us are lucky, somebody in our neck of the country will discover it and start selling it.

Coshell. Thanks again for letting us know about it.
      sigpic

Comment

Great work chef Jim..... Always look forward to reading you posts
        sigpic

Comment

thanks guys,

I am also getting hooked on thai and vietnamese salads papaya/mango types with a spicy dressing. light and really goes great with bbq and grilling.

Dave, nice info and story about your family, its too bad when those homeowners assoc. mess with folks.

I think I like the Coshell for the price and that I can get it where I do my weekly grocery shopping. Plus it works as good as RO. Shipping would be tough, I hope they get theor distribution set up so others can try it.

Comment

Looks friggin' great. I'll have a plate, please.

Tom

Comment

great job jim........

Comment

revisited this one on Saturday night,

marinated some fresh local pork chops in:

throwback pepsi
                garlic
                ginger
                palm sugar
                green onion
                yellow onion
                jalapeno
                soy sauce
                fish sauce
                lemon grass
                black pepper

only a couple hours in the marinade, didnt want the pepsi to break down the meat.

dipping sauce before I forget : 1/4 cup water, 2+ tbsp sugar boiled into a simple syrup. Once cooled I added minced garlic, and jalapeno, the juice of 1 lime plus some shredded carrot and 1.5 tbsp of fish sauce.

Filipino garlic fried rice: leftover rice, a bunch of garlic and some oil. Fried off some garlic as a garnish.

kettle:

plated with a couple fried eggs, cucumber slices, jalapeno.

money:

nice supper.

Comment

Looks great again Jim.
                  sigpic

Comment

Nice looking spread Jim. Love how that heat is looking! I got for that
                    New Braunfels Black Diamond
                    18.5" WSM
                    Weber Performer Deluxe Black
                    18.5 Weber Kettle
                    22.5 Weber Kettle
                    Maverick ET732
                    6, 8, 10 and 12' Lodge DO

Smoked Meat Misfits: "the change it had to come. We knew it all along. We were liberated from the fold, that's all" - The Who.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chisoxjim View Post
                      revisited this one on Saturday night,
                      Glad you did...totally missed this the first time around! Looks like an amazing meal!!!
                      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                      Pink Thermapen
                      Purple Thermapen

Comment

thanks y'all.

fish sauce, give it a try.

Comment

Dang Jim, I missed this one too first shot outta the shoot... AWESOME!!!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

YUM! Jim, I'm thai, chineese, korean etc. food lover. With exception to sushi. I love Thai food. Your cooking is incredible.
                            Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                            Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                            SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                            Yoder Wichita
                            Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                            Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                            Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Nice work Jim. That all looks fantastic. I like the wet rubs/marinades on meats as well. They're a nice change up to dry rubs. I also want to commend you on the great balance of flavors and textures you have going on.

Comment

Working...
                              X