UnWanted Visitor in Garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UnWanted Visitor in Garden

Tell tale sign of a bad cat daddy in garden maters....

Didnt take long to find the hornworm...The Braconid Wasps had already laid eggs on him(the white)...They will suck the juice out of em and produce more beneficial wasps...If i dont see wasp eggs i enjoy cutting them in half though...

http://www.vegedge.umn.edu/vegpest/hornworm.htm

Last edited by ALX; 07-18-2010, 12:56 PM.

Never seen anything like that before
    sigpic
    Brinkman Pitmast Deluxe (with alot of mods)
    Great Out doors grill
    Brinkman verticle
    And one great UDS
    Crooked Creek Viszlas

Comment

Oh yeah...those hornworms are hungry little bastards...havent had much problem with them for many years now
      Are those little wasp guys native in your area or did you introduce them...I dont think they are too comon around here...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

That sux....Nasty lil chit head!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

We always had to pick 'em- the wasps arn't around here...or weren't when I was a kid anyway.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Pick and squish is my way.
            Col. Big Guy

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
              Oh yeah...those hornworms are hungry little bastards...havent had much problem with them for many years now
              Are those little wasp guys native in your area or did you introduce them...I dont think they are too comon around here...
              The wasps are native/abundant here....As you and others i dont use any pesticides,so i do have lots of ladybugs,lacewings etc...I think i had one hornworm lasty year and maybe 2 year before.....Hit and miss on the Moth laying the egg....Some years are much worse...I will be looking for the poop on leaves everyday now....I have abundant amount of different birds that perch on cages...That helps too....

We had record snow last year and its been strange with different bugs emerging etc...after many years without some.....Neighbor had record honey production from hives...

Comment

Originally posted by smokemania View Post
                Never seen anything like that before
                worm, yes ........wasp, no.
                pretty cool alx!
                sigpic
                it's all good my friend..........

Comment

I didnt learn about these till last year when one was staring me in the face. Nastly lokking mofo. They say to put them in soapy water kill them never seen the larvy though, nasty

Comment

Years ago I used to raise Oscars (large fish) in an aquarium and had to buy goldfish to feed them. Tomato worms, although not welcome in the garden did help stretch the feeding dollar for the fish. They liked them and made short work of them.

Comment

Hey Craig we got the wasps here in Kansas. But, farming pesticides have really cut the numbers down very low here in Kansas. This year I have only found 3 worms in our garden. Far fewer than years past. We have a few of the wasps around here, but I have never seen a worm with the eggs on it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Yes sir. thats the same worm bastard I had

Comment

Although very plump, when ya poke em with sumthin sharp they almost just disappear. And they shit as they eat. always little balls a....................lying on the ground...never mind...

Comment

mmmmm, garden shrimp..
                            sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                            nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

I'm telling you guys, you missing out.... Hornworms, lil Mad Hunky brine, Famous Dave's gator rub..... 225* for 3-4 minutes with Pine or particle board... You would swear you were eating crane fly larva
                              Last edited by Fishawn; 08-07-2011, 11:12 PM. Reason: hehehe.... clarifying
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X