SmokingPit.com's - Custom Yoder Pellet Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SmokingPit.com's - Custom Yoder Pellet Smoker

Hi all and again, thanks for the very warm welcome!

I received some questions regarding the pics and mention of my custom pellet smoker that is in the works right now. I thought I'd post the information on it and how it came to be. It's a long painful story (Thanks to Dansos) but I'll try and condense it.

I purchased a Factory refurbished Louisiana WH-1320 a couple months back. I do allot of cooking for my site and at times in parallel with cooking for the family and friends so I was intrigued by the split cooker that changed into a full 1,320 sq. in. cooker.

The unit was sold to me By Don Cary of All Things BBQ and he nor I had seen it. It was on the Dansons list of units as a Factory refurbished for $300 less then a new one. I thought well I'll save $300. Wrong!

When it arrived it was in piss poor condition. The inside was extremely dirty, grates were warped, the unit had allot of rust. They painted over some of the rust and left big runs in the paint. The left side of the unit never worked. Dansons admitted it never went back to the factory. Instead it was patched up with a new hopper and paint etc. In Minnesota. After fooling with it too long I asked for a new one. They wanted more money. I called bullsh_it! as I had too much time into it doing what they should have done. Dansons resolution was to refund my money and bail. They were not worried about a happy customer or not. It was all about $$. Piss poor service.

Don Cary was already working on building a pellet cooker for his Yoder line and he stepped up and offered to build me a new cooker to put the WH-1320 hoppers from my hunker on to. I agreed and we started working together. Since I had Bothe the Traeger Texas and the Wh-1320 I was a good source of information. I gave him all the positives and negatives about both cookers. He also wanted to know what I would like to see in a new cooker.

Since then, this thing morphed into a friendship and a full blown Yoder build with the exception of the handles and the stand. He built a new cooker like the Wh-1320 but far more superior. 10 gage metal instead of 14. He tossed the arched heat management plates and went with flat ones. Lost all the vent whole across the back and used an 8 probe digital temp recorder to collect temp data and send it to his PC. The data was used to tune the chamber. This allowed the exhaust to be located in the optimum location.

The fire box was raised off the floor of the cooker so it would never be down in grease (fire hazard). He brought in an electrical engineer to build his own control boards and hopper feed system. These will hang proudly of the side of my smoker.

While all this was going on Don was charging ahead with his new line of pellet smokers. My build is waiting for the new boards and hoppers. Should be another 3 weeks.

I sent down a big jug of Jack Daniels for Don and team to celebrate when it's don. He invited me up to cook on their new pellet smokers and so I will be flying in to Wichita on the 12th. We will be cooking on my custom (with Louisiana hoppers). We will also be testing the new pellet smokers and I want to cook on the Yoder Wichita. I probably will pick up one.

If your in the area (Wichita) on the 13th come on down to All things BBQ!

Sorry I drug this out but I wanted foks to know the history of this thing.
    There's the short version believe it or not.

All his Yoder builds including the new Pellet line will have a "Lifetime Burnout" warranty. This speaks for quality. Early tests on his 400 sq. In. unit, showed a 3 degree temp swing end to end and a max temp of 700 from what I have heard. I will see for myself when I'm down there.

Here are the pics and a video I did. Keep in mind we are in the early stages so the crappy looking grates are from the one I was sent as is the Hoppers etc. When it's done it will have all new grates, body, Thermostats, hoppers & feed systems and Paint.

It has two independant Sides for cooking. They can cook at different temps, one at a time or both or remove the divider for one big 1,320 Sq. in cooker.

Funny thing is Yoder and All Things BBQ will be in all of my Smoking Meat videos in the place of Dansons Louisiana WH-1320. Don really stepped up and took care of his cutomer and went the extra mile. I will refer anyone asking me about pellet smoker or stick burners to see him fist before you buy.

The HD Video - I had to do a video with some blues guitar.

The Yoder Custom Pellet Smoker

This image shows the removeable divider and the new adjustable heat and smoke pass through.

Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
    Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
    SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
    Yoder Wichita
    Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
    Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
    Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

That is one Nice machine! Very Cool!
    sigpic

Comment

I been thinkin about checking into on of his stick burners when its time for me to upgrade...wont be anytime too soon Im afraid...unless I win the lottery After all, he is only about an hour from me...Unfortunatly i wont be able to be in Wichita on the 13th...not happenin...sounds like fun...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Looking good
        sigpic

Comment

Yeah Man! I like that!
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Great info and post Rob....Great to see a plan come together....

Comment

Man that is one good looking smokin machine
              sigpic
              Brinkman Pitmast Deluxe (with alot of mods)
              Great Out doors grill
              Brinkman verticle
              And one great UDS
              Crooked Creek Viszlas

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                I been thinkin about checking into on of his stick burners when its time for me to upgrade...wont be anytime too soon Im afraid...unless I win the lottery After all, he is only about an hour from me...Unfortunatly i wont be able to be in Wichita on the 13th...not happenin...sounds like fun...
                I have been interested in the Yoder Wichita. I'll be cooking on it when I'm down there. I'll let you know how that goes. I like the Yoder pits he builds.

Rob
                SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                Yoder Wichita

Comment

pardon my french, but that is one helluva piece of equipment right there... don's boys sure did a nice job on it. truely a craftsman's piece of art right there.

Later,
                  Andy
                  Current babies:
                  -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
                  -RichTee's Lang :)
                  Former Lineup:
                  -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
                  -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
                  -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
                  -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
                  BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Very very nice, gives me more ideas I cannot afford to put in place.
                    Mark
                    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

that thing would look cool right next to an old wood stove.
                      brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                      18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                      cast iron Hibachi
                      22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                      & rotisserator
                      12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                      stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                      Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                      http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                      my music recordings-
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Built like a tank. Great thread, thanks for posting.

You have a nice website too Wingman.
                        Last edited by Capt Dan; 07-25-2010, 11:07 AM.
                        Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Good looking smoker.Sounds like it's coming together for ya.
                          sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Hey Rob!

Great looking smoker there man!

I see you found your way to this site too. Good to see you again!

John
                            John K.
                            Akron, OH

WSM 18.5"
                            Char-Griller (modified)
                            Amaze-N-Smoker
                            Brinkman Gas Grill

Comment

Originally posted by JAK757 View Post
                              Great looking smoker there man!

I see you found your way to this site too. Good to see you again!

John
                              Hi John good to see your here. Yes I was recommended this site by a couple smoking-meats forum members and I have to say I like it. I'm going to start promoting it from SmokingPit.com.

Rob
                              SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                              Yoder Wichita

Comment

Working...
                              X