Ant home remedy question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ant home remedy question

OK, got this ant problem in the garden, yard and house this year. Every year its a diffentent pest and this years winner is ants. Usually I mix up some boric acid and sugar and it keeps the buggers away. I even make little water resistant boxes out of pill bottle for outside. Usually it all works but this year the ants are a bit meaner and harder to control.

Anyhow, I am sitting in the doctors office today and hear these people talking about the same problem I am having. I didn't join in the discussion because somebody always says that with all the stuff I can buy for my fields I shouldn't have a problem. Well, thats the corn and bean fields and I don't have a problem. But I really don't want that stuff around the house.

So anyhow, one of these people say that instant grits kills ants. Is this true? They said the ants eat it and blow up. I thought that was neat and might even be fun. Another one said Windex works because it washes their trails.

Anybody ever use instant grits or Windex for ants? I would hate to go to the store by some instant grits and get chewed out for cheating on grits if the stuff don't work. I like grits and we don't buy instant grits.
    sigpic

I been takin Dawn detergent....squirt it on the mound....then gently wash in with nozzle or rain. Got most of the piss ant's outta Louie's garden. Damn they can bite!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Yes sir, real grits here in Georia NOT instant!! Have not had a problem with ants in many years,
      South Georgia heat,,,smoking something....
      Chargrill w/ royaloak lump
      Mad Hunky droooooling

Comment

Man I hope those nasty fire ants have not made it all the way up to Kansas. They are bad here in Tejas for sure. I poison the little fuckers with "Logic". Broadcast it throughout the entire yard in the "A" months. That would be April and August. I think it only kills the fire ants.
        Keith

Comment

I can vouch for the instant grits remedy. I've used it ever since my kids were little and it hasn't failed yet. Sprinkle it around where you see them the most. Just make sure you do it when it is dry weather. One packet from the box goes a long way.
          Dawn

New Braunfels Bandera "Grail"
          Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
          1 Maverick ET-73
          1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
            I been takin Dawn detergent....squirt it on the mound....then gently wash in with nozzle or rain. Got most of the piss ant's outta Louie's garden. Damn they can bite!
            Great, another one for the list. Hey Slanted, ya know what my favorite is. You take some brake fluid and pour on there, then some of that nasty starter fluid other people use on a grill and....You get one nice flame up and a deep hot fireball. Cooks them piss ants right now and burns forever. Love brake fluid. That and transmission fluid make a better poor man's napalm than diesel and alum flake.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dwayne View Post
              Yes sir, real grits here in Georia NOT instant!! Have not had a problem with ants in many years,
              Amen brother, Georgia is grits heaven also. If it ain't the real thing, it ain't nothing. Sorta like picante sauce from NY city. I think instant grits will be good enough for the ants.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                Man I hope those nasty fire ants have not made it all the way up to Kansas. They are bad here in Tejas for sure. I poison the little fuckers with "Logic". Broadcast it throughout the entire yard in the "A" months. That would be April and August. I think it only kills the fire ants.
                Yea, some places of Kansas, especially the SW part has fire ants. Up here we just got them small red piss ants that bite hard, but not as bad as fire ants. I learned about them in the military in AIT school. Ain't nothing like learning to fight a war and you dive for cover right into a fire ant hill. Or you dig a fox hole and go right into one of their homes. Something to be said about having a thousand of them things come at ya all at once.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by irishteabear View Post
                  I can vouch for the instant grits remedy. I've used it ever since my kids were little and it hasn't failed yet. Sprinkle it around where you see them the most. Just make sure you do it when it is dry weather. One packet from the box goes a long way.
                  Outstanding. Gonna head to the grocery store tomorrow and I'll have to explain why I am buying the instant. But I can already hear what them ladies are gonna say to me. Hope they heard of this before. Right about the same thing my wife said. Except she told me if I buy the stuff she best not see it any where near her kitchen. She said she has more respect for herself and family to be caught near the stuff. Me too, but I ain't eating it.
                  sigpic

Comment

wow i learn something everyday. we used to use 1lb cayenne pepper per 5 gallons of bottom paint for the boat- good for 5 years on a steel hull.
                    cayenne pepper will keep anything away. now my frikkin peaches- that was a 2 day poof & it was japanese beetles...
                    brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                    18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                    cast iron Hibachi
                    22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                    & rotisserator
                    12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                    stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                    Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                    http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                    my music recordings-
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
                      That and transmission fluid make a better poor man's napalm than diesel and alum flake.
                      Heh... Shhh!
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Tried the cayenne pepper and they went around it. Tried the Terro, I think it made them fatter. Tried the vinegar and they went around that. A mix of boric acid, sugar and bacon grease worked a little better than the straight Terro. Went to the store and got them instant grits. Gee whiz, did them ladies chew me out. Even had one tell me that she would bet her paycheck that my wife would give me the CI pan up side my head when she saw it. They hadn't heard about the use I was applying it to. Said they don't believe the crud is good for anything, but also told me if it works to let them know. The instant stuff there gets ordered 1 time a month and even then in the smallest quantity the wholesaler allows, which the manager says is too much because the stuff collects dust on the shelf. He told me if it works he is going to move it over to the aisle where they keep the chemicals and other repellents.
                        sigpic

Comment

Man, that is funny,(not the ants, would never laugh at that). Just keep thinking of that scene in My Cousin Vinnie. Oh, and for the record, even being from up north, I love real grits.
                          GOSM
                          Sausagemaker's Country Smokehouse
                          Charcoal Grill
                          Stainless Steel Gas Grill (for when I'm really lazy)

Comment

So, did the instant grits work? We are having major slug problems this year. BTW, you mix water and ammonia 4-1 and spray them. Lilbastards shrivel up and dry out. Doesnt hurt the plant either, actually pure nitrogen, kind of good for them.
                            GOSM
                            Sausagemaker's Country Smokehouse
                            Charcoal Grill
                            Stainless Steel Gas Grill (for when I'm really lazy)

Comment

Originally posted by BrewMasterJosh View Post
                              Man, that is funny,(not the ants, would never laugh at that). Just keep thinking of that scene in My Cousin Vinnie. Oh, and for the record, even being from up north, I love real grits.
                              damn you beat me to it.
                              Have to admit the whole thread's had me laughing because of that . We've had almost no red ants this year - go figure, maybe they hitched a ride to mclouth - these ants of yours, they being particularly polite, making straight for the tea and talking in funny accents ?
                              And before gunny chimes in - hide the oats !
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X