Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charcoal 101..... Can Somebody Learn Me Something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charcoal 101..... Can Somebody Learn Me Something?

Like a robot..... I head for the charcoal area...... Grab a bag of Kingsford..... Head to the checkout..... No other thoughts enter my stupid brain...... I have always used Kingsford..... My Pappy used Kingsford..... And most likely, my Pappy's Pappy & Pappy's Pappy's Pappy used Kingsford..... All my friends & relatives use Kingsford, even my neighbors .... (Insert Zombie Walking Kingsford Charcoal Buying Me & Pappy & Friends & Neighbors Icon Here )

ChiSoxJim has mentioned Coconut Shells, which sound interesting, & others I am sure have mentioned other brands or options as well, but fell on deaf ears before......

Not that I don't like the taste of food grilled on Kingsford Charcoal, because I really do. But am I missing something ..... Is there another brand that is superior ? or different ? ..... I have grilled over lump before & its good, just fishing for input & ideas..... What say you ?
    sigpic

Well...Dont get me started on Blue Bag....God Bless........

Comment

"learn to burn"...WOOD..
      if it cain't handle the wood- build it bigger....
      surely there's an old girl out there that can handle the wood....
      brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
      18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
      cast iron Hibachi
      22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
      & rotisserator
      12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
      stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
      Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
      http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
      my music recordings-
      http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

My input, stay away from the Kingsford Blue unless there is nothing else you can buy. I can clearly taste and smell that the binders in it give off, as well as most of the others on here can attest to. Now, just because we can attest to it dowsn't mean its not used. There are those that swear by it. But you asked for input and thats mine. I prefer lump, RO or its alternate bagged form, Best Choice. I don't remember seeing what kind of smoker you have, but lump burns hotter, cleaner and leaves less ash and "binder taste" in your smoked outcome.
        sigpic

Comment

there's a k-plant 20 miles from my house right next to 3 pine pallet plants...what do you think??
          i know... got buds that work there but i'll let ya guess for yourself....
          brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
          18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
          cast iron Hibachi
          22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
          & rotisserator
          12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
          stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
          Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
          http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
          my music recordings-
          http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Originally posted by blues_n_cues View Post
            there's a k-plant 20 miles from my house right next to 3 pine pallet plants...what do you think??
            I need a Priest,Bull horn and some chinese food........:)
            Last edited by ALX; 07-27-2010, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
              My input, stay away from the Kingsford Blue unless there is nothing else you can buy. I can clearly taste and smell that the binders in it give off, as well as most of the others on here can attest to. Now, just because we can attest to it dowsn't mean its not used. There are those that swear by it. But you asked for input and thats mine. I prefer lump, RO or its alternate bagged form, Best Choice. I don't remember seeing what kind of smoker you have, but lump burns hotter, cleaner and leaves less ash and "binder taste" in your smoked outcome.
              David.... Thanks for the input ..... I have an electric MES smoker, but I am using the Charcoal in my Weber Kettle...... I will start paying attention & looking for RO, more lump & BC.... Thanks

Originally posted by blues_n_cues View Post
              Thanks Rob.... That really says something..... ..... I will be getting me some wood (Hopefully wife included..... )

Originally posted by ALX View Post
              I need a Priest,Bull horn and some chinese food........
              Thanks Jermaine..... I will mail you my Bull Horn..... I think CA is an ordained minister ...... and put some soy sauce on your BLT!
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks Jermaine..... I will mail you my Bull Horn..... I think CA is an ordained minister ...... and put some soy sauce on your BLT! [/QUOTE]

I have no problem grilling with already lit blue bag...

Just a minnion style long cook and damn you can taste it....

i use humpreys ...100% hardwood...Charcoal or lump... from pennsylvania... .......

You rock samantha....Keep them britches clean darling.......
                Last edited by ALX; 07-28-2010, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Thanks Jermaine..... I will mail you my Bull Horn..... I think CA is an ordained minister ...... and put some soy sauce on your BLT!

Not gonna toot my own horn...but i use humpreys for basicaly free...100% hardwood...Charcoal or lump... from pennsylvania...Thats a inside deal........

You rock samantha....Keep them britches clean darling.......[/QUOTE]

Thanks Rhonda..... I will change my britches..... (Thanks for reminding me )

Prolly not going to be able to find any Humpreys around here .......Anything else you would suggest?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                    Thanks Rhonda..... I will change my britches..... (Thanks for reminding me )

Prolly not going to be able to find any Humpreys around here .......Anything else you would suggest?

Some folk like Royal oak....The south american version(check Bags) is known to be harsher/quality control from what i have heard......
                    Last edited by ALX; 07-28-2010, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Royal Oak at Wal-Mart is made in the USA and is better quality than RO from Paraguay(which I have used) and Argentina, which this guy has used-

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/vi...169c9221f176a2

Others report good results with Frontier lump(Sam's and ACE harware) and Stubbs Briquettes(Lowes)
                      Last edited by cliffcarter; 07-28-2010, 07:55 AM.

Comment

can't help on brands - but I used to use briquettes for grilling. Soon as I statrted smoking with lump noticed the difference.

Now way will I go back to briquettes - unless them coconut things are as good as they look :-)
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Oops. Pressed Enter too early.

See post below.
                          Last edited by DDave; 07-28-2010, 08:02 AM.
                          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                          -
                          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Kingsford blue bag as a last resort. too much ash(fillers)

I have been using the coconut stuff when I can find it, otherwise Royal Oak lump is the usual fuel.
                            Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Well...Dont get me started on Blue Bag....God Bless........
                              Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
                              My input, stay away from the Kingsford Blue ,

Or in a UDS, Blue Bag stinks like hell while it is lighting.

I use the Kingsford Competition Briquettes. LOVE 'EM! They burn hot, don't stink while they are lighting and produce very little ash.

I used Royal Oak briquettes one time on a long brisket smoke. There was so much damn ash I could barely lift the ash pan out of the drum with out it buckling.

Originally posted by cliffcarter View Post
                              Royal Oak at Wal-Mart is made in the USA and is better quality than RO from Paraguay
                              Unfortunately, you can't get Royal Oak lump all over the great USA. I have NEVER seen it in a store around here. I don't know about Washington. You can find Lazzari lump around here but just the mesquite which I find a little strong. Lazzari makes oak lump but I've never seen that around here either.

Dave
                              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                              UDS 1.0
                              Afterburner
                              Weber Performer
                              Blue Thermapen
                              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                              Auber Smoker Controller
                              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                              -
                              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working...
                              X