Char-grill prof. mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Char-grill prof. mods?

I'm curious as to what anyone's thoughts would be if i put in a baffle and either tuning plates or solid plate in and move the smoke stake to the firebox side lowering it down to grate level?

Would it make a big difference? would it hold temp better or be easier to keep fired up at the right temp longer?

My smoke box is about 36" long x 22" round
    roughly...

I've already used High-temp sealer round my firebox door.
    Raised my grate in firebox so it can get good air flo under and around it.
    Have a basket i keep my coals/wood in.
    Put angle pieces on both sides of smoke box door to help seal off leaks there.
    used foil to make a gasket all around smoke box door.
    Still can't get the temp up where i need it to be when using the firebox. (even with two chimney loads of briquettes). I finally had to stick it in the smokebox...

Hopefully i'm posting this in the right place. New here so let her rip guys!
    thanks

Originally posted by nwguys View Post
    Still can't get the temp up where i need it to be when using the firebox. (even with two chimney loads of briquettes).
    What temperature are you trying to achieve?

I would run a piece of dryer ducting from your interior chimney down to grate level, this will help contain the heat.
    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
      What temperature are you trying to achieve?

I would run a piece of dryer ducting from your interior chimney down to grate level, this will help contain the heat.
      Sounds like you have done enough to ensure steady temps. What kind of briqs are you using? Have you tried lump charcoal? What temp does it hold and for how long?

Comment

I used nothing but lump charcoal and wood chunks in mine... a much hotter heat.

Here's what I did to mine:

http://www.hhsbbq.com/CharGrillerMods.pdf

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

forgot to put that in original post. Already did the drop down with the dryer vent to grate level. I've been using regular Charcoal briq. and either Apple or cherry wood i had here drying for about a year.

Comment

Originally posted by cliffcarter View Post
            Sounds like you have done enough to ensure steady temps. What kind of briqs are you using? Have you tried lump charcoal? What temp does it hold and for how long?
            Been using Kingsford briq's. and i'd be happy getting temps from 200 to 230.
            Just using the firebox, I can only get temps of 150 to 175.
            Putting the fire in the smokebox on the right hand side, i get temps of 240 to 260. Will hold for a couple of hours then drops down to 220 give or take...

Comment

[QUOTE=HawgHeaven;132534]I used nothing but lump charcoal and wood chunks in mine... a much hotter heat.

I've seen your mods and am going to be trying them. Just messing around with a lot of ideas right now. It may be that I'm just a simple, impatient bastard and need to take more time too?

We'll see i guess...

Comment

Been using Kingsford briq's. and i'd be happy getting temps from 200 to 230.
                Just using the firebox, I can only get temps of 150 to 175.
                Don't take this the wrong way . . . happens from time to time . . . but did you knock out the football shaped piece of metal in between the firebox and the smoke chamber?

Also, what kind of thermo are you using to measure your temps? Most stock thermos suck and are way off.

150 to 175 seems awful low for two chimneys full. 240 to 260 with charcoal in the smoke chamber seems low as well.

Dave
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

DDave's comment about the thermo deserves consideration, the stock one on my Chargriller reads about 50F too low.

Comment

Originally posted by cliffcarter View Post
                    DDave's comment about the thermo deserves consideration, the stock one on my Chargriller reads about 50F too low.
                    [QUOTE=DDave;132541]Don't take this the wrong way . . . happens from time to time . . . but did you knock out the football shaped piece of metal in between the firebox and the smoke chamber?

Also, what kind of thermo are you using to measure your temps? Most stock thermos suck and are way off.

150 to 175 seems awful low for two chimneys full. 240 to 260 with charcoal in the smoke chamber seems low as well.

Lol, yes. I knocked out the panel between the firebox and smoke chamber.
                    I was just going off the theromo that came with the unit. Never thought of that. Was going to place two new ones down at grate level on the right and left side. I'll probably just take out the stock one that came with the unit and fill the hole in.

Comment

You said you raised the grate in the firebox, when i did that to mine it made mine worse. I dropped the grate back down and cut two new air inlets in the sides of the firebox. Made a huge difference, but still have to run with the ashtray pulled slightly out to run the temp up faster. I put a 1/4" steel plate in mine and moved the stack to the other end. Made it a reverse flow. Works great. Holds good temps. The thermo that came with it isn't worth anything. Go with the thermos at grate level.
                      Couple of pics. Sorry they are so big.

Orchard Hill BBQ

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
                      Modified Chargriller RF
                      250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

Comment

Lol, yes. I knocked out the panel between the firebox and smoke chamber.
                        Just checking. Every once in awhile someone will forget.

I was just going off the theromo that came with the unit. Never thought of that. Was going to place two new ones down at grate level on the right and left side.
                        Sounds like a plan. Be sure and check the new thermos by sticking the probe in boiling water.

I'll probably just take out the stock one that came with the unit and fill the hole in.
                        Might as well leave it in. Just don't pay any attention to it. It's about all the stock ones are good for anyway -- hole plugs.

Dave
                        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                        -
                        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

[QUOTE=new smoke;132579]You said you raised the grate in the firebox, when i did that to mine it made mine worse. I dropped the grate back down and cut two new air inlets in the sides of the firebox. Made a huge difference, but still have to run with the ashtray pulled slightly out to run the temp up faster. I put a 1/4" steel plate in mine and moved the stack to the other end. Made it a reverse flow. Works great. Holds good temps. The thermo that came with it isn't worth anything. Go with the thermos at grate level.
                          Couple of pics. Sorry they are so big.

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                          Just checking. Every once in awhile someone will forget.

Sounds like a plan. Be sure and check the new thermos by sticking the probe in boiling water.

Might as well leave it in. Just don't pay any attention to it. It's about all the stock ones are good for anyway -- hole plugs.

Dave
                          Thanks for the info and pics Newsmoke and the thoughts Dave!

Comment

Working...
                          X