Traeger question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traeger question?

I was in the local butcher shop this morning to pick up some beef ribs. I notice on the way in two Traeger Lil" Tex cookers for sale, one new - one used. I ask at the counter for price...$700-800.
    It sounds like a good deal to me.
    Is this a good deal?
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Sounds a little steep. Here's one at Ace.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...LAID=151126526
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Comment

Here's some reviews in regards to Traeger smoker/grills. You can read more here.
      http://bbq.about.com/b/2004/10/27/tr...illsmokers.htm
      July 20, 2010 at 1:42 pm
      (47) pugsley says:I have read thru these comments and i have to say do NOT buy a Traeger grill made after 2007. They are now being made in China and the electronics on these units are totally junk. I bought 2 “070 Lil Tex” in October 2009 and it is July 2010. I have replaced the digital controller 4 times, the combustion fan 2 times, the ignition “hot rod” 2 times and numerous fuses on these two units! Traeger always sends the parts to fix them but when you depend on a $700.00 grill, you can’t wait a week on the parts to fix it! I have tried to get in touch with someone besides the tech department to no avail. SAY NO TO A NEW TRAEGER!!!!!
      July 20, 2010 at 1:42 pm

June 27, 2010 at 10:16 pm
      (45) Patti says:
      I am disappointed in Traegar. They use to be great grills, made in Mount Angel, Oregon, but have moved to China…I typed in my search engine, “Grills made in the USA” and found some pretty nice ones. I decided on the MAK grill…I guess I am an old timer, but I do wish we would keep jobs and people employed here. The MAK has a little door at the bottom of the pellet holder to let the remaining pellets drop into a bucket, so there will be no augur plug ups. It has a warmer on the side to keep grilled foods warm while you are cooking foods that take longer. I know many of you are not concerned about products made in China, but I think about our kids, grandkids and future generations finding jobs, so prefer to buy what I can Made in the USA.
      sigpic
      New Braunfels Bandera
      New Braunfels Hondo
      4-22.5" Weber Kettles
      1-26" Weber Kettle
      24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
      Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Interesting... My bro Marktee is thinking on buying out the local dealership...Hmm...
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks for the info and warning. I wondered why the butcher was selling "his" Treager. I think I'll pass. Besides the Big Ugly Drum is getting a major re-work this weekend, hopefully finish this morning. Pics later.
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

* 371 sq. in. of cooking surface
            * High teck auger-fed burner
            * Electronic auto start
            * 3-position cooking control system
            * Ez-drain grease system
            * Smokes, barbeques, grills and bakes

That is one expensive bit of kit.

Compared to a cg outlaw:
            *No auger fed burner to go wrong
            *no electronic start to die on you
            *5 position charcoal grate for grilling plus cooling rack
            *Why would anyone need a grease draining system, I don't get grease
            *smokes, bbq's grills, bakes, cheap to run
            *oh yeah 1000 square inch cooking surface.
            *1/3 - 1/4 the price.

Regardless of where it's made that traeger is one over priced over gimmicked expensive to run cooker.
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Interesting... My bro Marktee is thinking on buying out the local dealership...Hmm...
              Mark into selling jap scrap? Tell him to pass, POS smoker.

Comment

Originally posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
                Mark into selling jap scrap? Tell him to pass, POS smoker.
                Well....time to chime here I guess.....it would pay to do some more research in light of this info....I will not sell China manufactured product......and if the quality is deteriorating and leaving uncooked meat on the grill it most certainly is not that great of smoker/grill. More homework!

Comment

there is a company in the Greenville, SC area selling Traeger like cookers. They are called Greenmountain cookers. I'll see if I can get a web address. Don't know anything about them but they look nice.

Found the link:

http://www.greenmountaingrills.com/

Maybe they aren't made in SC......thought I read somewhere they were.....looks like NV.
                  www.nopigleftbehind.com
                  -----------------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X