Rust Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust Question

What is the best way to remove the surface rust before painting?
    BUD is getting a makeover. The fire box off of the "Brinkman" has quite of rust on it.

The fire box is now mounted on the BUD
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

If you do not have access to a sandblaster, I would get my hands on an angle grinder with a few extra wire wheels.. Heavy gloves and safety glass's...

Thats what I used on my last build.. It had about the same amount of rust..

If the metal is badly pitted, you may need to put on several coats of high temp primer before you paint.. That way you get a smooth finish..

Good luck.. Keep us posted of the progress..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

An abrasive blast would do it. Or you can get a Dual Action (DA) sander and that would work too. I sanded the entire Iron Maiden project that way, and it shined like a new silver dollar before I primed and painted it (it had set out in the weather for a while and was really tarnished before that).

DA Sanders typically work off of an air compressor and I bought a cheap one at Harbor Freight...Had a problem with a allen head bolt coming loose, but I just threw a massive torque on it and that settled it down. I also bought a 25 pack of sanding pads there on the cheap...worked like a champ. I also used a wire wheel on my angle grinder. I'll find a link to a place that has this type of stuff at a good price.

I have bought a ton of stuff from this place...http://www.heleta.com/ . They have great prices on abrasives, cutting wheels, sanding disks, and wire brushes. Just click the abrasive tab...They usually send me discount offers and I should be getting another one with the new month...I'll post it if I get an email from them.
      Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 08-01-2010, 07:05 AM.
      BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
      Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
      I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

OH, besides the safety gear that Ken mentioned, get some ear plugs, and a Niosh approved mask. You'll end up with that stuff in your nose and lungs if you don't. After working for a while the mask will be caked with that stuff...and you will see the good that it did.
        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

While many can't easily get to an abrasive blast, a jar or two of naval jelly (rust remover) will remove the oxidation pretty easily. Just hose it off in the sun and tip out all of the water. If you let the cooker remain in the sun you should be able to paint the outer within a few hours. It takes about 24 hours for rust bloom so you should be good to go after all the dampness has dried out.

A propane torch can help dry out the inside pretty quickly getting into the corners well. you can paint a high temp paint inside & out within hours this way.

Total cost would only run about $4 a can for the naval jelly + paint.
          sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

good to a tractor supply and buy a 200 dollar sandblaster and be done with it. Or find a rural kind they had one here local for 89 bucks I think

Comment

heck for surface rust like Dan said good ole navel jelly alot less hassle.one way to prevent this is to go all stainless steel
              Terry here
              Still have Christene

Comment

Working...
              X