UDS Kettle lid Q - Airflow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UDS Kettle lid Q - Airflow?

Been running my UDS for a year or so now. Currently have 2 lids. One, for small smokes, is a standard flat lid top. The other one is a scrap drum that I cut the top 1/3 off for bigger capacity. Exhaust is using the 2" bung. Airflow & temps work perfectly.

Just picked up a free kettle lid. Perfect fit, but I have an airflow question.

The kettle lid has 4 small holes for the exhaust. How will this affect airflow, as I'm sure that the combined total area of the 4 holes is significantly lower than the 2" bung that I'm using? I don't want to increase the volume of "trapped" smoke & want a smooth, light flow that the 2" give.

Is this OK, or should I mod the lid to increase airflow?
    Chris
    UDS - Buckeye 1
    Charcoal Grill - Panther 1
    GOSM Wide Body
    Cabela's Masterbuilt 7-1 Electric
    2 Dutch Ovens
    Cabelas Grinder
    Cabelas Jerky Blaster
    Maverick ET-73 Thermometer
    Maverick ET-7 Thermometer

Your good to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
      Your good to go!
      what bubba said.........if i member correctly, they are about 1 inch holes, for a combined total of 4 inches of exhaust, double your current exhaust.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

You'll be fine.

For comparison . . .

A 2" circular hole gives you 3.14 square inches of exhaust area
        A Weber lid has four 7/8" circular holes which gives you 2.4 square inches of exhaust area.

A very popular configuration is the eight 1/2" holes which gives you 1.57 square inches of exhaust area.

The Weber will give you plenty of airflow for smoking and even chicken or poultry at 375°+.

Dave
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working...
        X