X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUD is morphing

Here is were we start.

The fire box from the Brinkman is now mounted on the BUD

As you can see I did some preliminary work with the newly acquire wire brush on the angle grinder. After a test smoke ..or two I will disassemble and paint in earnest. The wire wheel works great. The fire box is not drooping, the end of the barrel is beveled. I capped the existing openings to the fire box and the chimneys. Added a 4"x 24" chimney with vent hose down to the cooking surface and a rain cap.

I added two legs to the front of the fire box...cause it always made me nervous, much more stable.

Inside the fire box I put one of the cooking grills from the old Brink, it raised the "fire floor" about 4" leaving plenty of air below the fire and easy ash removal. (sorry forgot pic)
    The inside of the drum is 52" long so I added a 3/4" steel L the length of the drum just above the fire box opening, Then I put a 3/16 steel sheet 25.5X48" on top of the support L (bar). The end of the barrel is beveled so I cut the end of the sheet to fit and slid it all the way up to the fire box end leaving a 4" gap for the smoke to enter the cooking chamber. There is a water pan sitting on top of the "baffle". I also re-installed a support bar for the cooking surface 4" higher than original and L's for the grill to sit on. So we now have an offset, reverse flow smoker. Might need a new name.
    Thanx to DangerDan for the spur of ideas, the fire box move and the chimney. I owe you tall frosty!

And the grills in.

And a little test burn.

It came up to 200F in 15 minutes..
    I let it burn for about an hour and was able to go from 200F to 300F and back down to 250 easily just adjusting the air vent. So whats a test burn without some meat? Also I was able to let it run for 3 hours without having to mess with fuel, used to be an hourly adventure and getting to 250F was a major pain. Did I saynana2:
    1 rack of pork and 1 of beef ribs were crying to get out of the frige so I had to oblige.

The beef ribs out after 2 hours 155F. I don't usually use therm on ribs but I wanted to see how the cooker was doing.

The pork at 3 hours, before foil (3 2 1).

The pork just out of the smoker.

The beef cut after resting for 3 hours.

The pork cut after resting for three hours also.

Ok I have to go install the hooks so I can smoke the sausage I made while the pork ribs were on.

Paint and more mods to come.
    Last edited by Mark R; 08-02-2010, 04:06 PM. Reason: Fergot
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Heck Yeah! That oughta work fine fo ya! That bag in the tree filled with water to run flies off...
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
      Heck Yeah! That oughta work fine fo ya! That bag in the tree filled with water to run flies off...
      Yup, shoofly.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Interesting stuff there Mark. Sounds like you got it right on with the temp control too. Excellent! Love a homebrew unit!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          Interesting stuff there Mark. Sounds like you got it right on with the temp control too. Excellent! Love a homebrew unit!
          A major improvement right outta da box. It worked before but it was a wrestling match. Kinda didn't know what to do when I didn't have to babysit it. So this is how it's supposed to work. Still got a lot more to do.
          And another thanx to the folks here, the knowledge base is awsome. Soooo much to learn!
          Mark
          sigpic

Comment

Sounds like it's working out pretty well.

Food looks good too.

Dave
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Man u got a bling bling stack there. Nice ribs

Comment

Kewl Beans!!!! Glad the wheel worked out.. And the smoker looks good with a up grade..
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Nice to see it working out for you Mark...... Food looks Great & looking forward to BUD's new name.....
                  sigpic

Comment

great job on the updates glad to see it is working out so well.
                    sigpic
                    Brinkman Pitmast Deluxe (with alot of mods)
                    Great Out doors grill
                    Brinkman verticle
                    And one great UDS
                    Crooked Creek Viszlas

Comment

Looks like you nailed it
                      Jerod
                      GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                      sigpic

Comment

Looking good man - looks like you got it nailed for sure
                        Scarbelly

Comment

Yesterday I got to do the second "test" smoke. the first smoke was "hot" smoke - ribs. For the second test I wanted to see how it would work at lower temps. While the ribs were smoking I was in the kitchen making wild hog ham Cheriso sausage (sorry no pics)...test two. Before I went out to start the fire and hang the sausage I checked the radar at NWS. Around here in summer you never know. There was one little storm heading out into the gulf - no problem. So at 1:45pm I get the 1/2 chimney glowing good with HD lump, hang the sausage, toss a couple of large grapefruit chunks in the fire box and close it up... got smoke. It got up to about 150 to 157F and stayed there for bout 45 minutes with the air vent closed. Then.........

All you double walled insulated smokers out there - kiss my grease pan. You know who you are, don't make me call you out.

The thunderstorm backs up to the house and all hell breaks loose. 3" of rain in an hour. Internal temp drops immediately to 130F and holds. Rain finally lets up, I add some more lump, grapefruit and open the air vent about 1/2". Temp climbs up to 170, cool...for 45 minutes. Another storm, I hear it coming and open the vent another inch and take cover watch temp drop to 136-137F...for an hour and half, another 4" of rain!
                          We're at at 7pm now rain finally clears, sausage is at 122F. I open the air up about 1/2 way temp comes up to 190F and sausage starts climbing. At 9pm the sausage hits 160, internal 210 - Finally! Ok pics.
                          You'll notice it's DARK outside. (with another storm coming)

Hanging logs at the finish. You'll notice I put a pan in to catch any drippings. 1' of water (rain) with a little drippings

On the cutting board.

1 cut for a sample, Yumm.

A little challenge but got through it, great sausage.
                          Testing over!
                          Now to build a stand, break it down and paint!
                          Mark
                          sigpic

Comment

I picked up the steel for the stand today. Stand fabrication begins tomorrow!
                            Mark
                            sigpic

Comment

Mark, that is nice. Dwayne
                              South Georgia heat,,,smoking something....
                              Chargrill w/ royaloak lump
                              Mad Hunky droooooling

Comment

Working...
                              X