Thanks to Gunslinger, I made Turkey Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks to Gunslinger, I made Turkey Bacon

Follow Gunny's ground meat bacon posts as a guide, I made a ground turkey bacon. First off, thanks Gunny!! Here are some pics

I used about 2 1/2 lbs dark meat and about 1 1/2 lbs white meat.

I used TQ for the cure, I also added a small amount of brown sugar and I added Knox plain gelatin as a binder. I added the meat in layers. I put some plastic wrap in a bakin dish then added about half the dark meat

Then added the layer of white meat

Then the rest of the dark, I was trying to create the different color layers like when you cook real bacon.

It cured covered in the fridge from Friday night til Sunday then got smoked at the same time as some Polish sausage I made. I flipped the loaf out onto a pan for easy placement in the smoker

And a pic in the smoker

A few hours in..

A couple hours after that I slid it off the pan, it was plenty firm now but needed to smoke a little longer

All done

Sliced the loaf in half to see the layers

Let it sit in the fridge til the next day then sliced. I hand sliced it so some slices are a little thicker than others. The thin ones got very crispy and tasted almost exactly like bacon. Way better than any store bought turkey bacon I have had.

Thanks for checking out my pics. And thanks again to Gunny!
    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

damn that looks good

Comment

Oh man this is so in my future - thanks for the great post - I will be hitting you up for the exact recipe soon
      Scarbelly

Comment

Out of the park Wu...
        ---------------------------------------------------
        I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
        ---------------------------------------------------
        KCBS CBJ

Comment

......... Awesome WU!...... Inspiration & Execution

sigpic

Comment

Nice Job, it looks pretty darn good.

Comment

Absolutely excellent bacon! You get for that one.
              sigpic
              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Wu - I'll add my points in with Keith's - that is very cool! great idea on the white/dark meat.

Awesome all around.

Comment

Just awesome man. for thinking outside my box.

Tom

Comment

love the colour idea
                    Excellent job

How coarse was the grind ?
                    And what temp did you take it to ?
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Looks grat! Please send me recipe if you get a chance Wu. Always liked turkey sausage, but not the bacon. Tried some of the flat steak-um looking ones, just couldnt get past the look and bad texture.
                      GOSM
                      Sausagemaker's Country Smokehouse
                      Charcoal Grill
                      Stainless Steel Gas Grill (for when I'm really lazy)

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                        love the colour idea
                        Excellent job

How coarse was the grind ?
                        And what temp did you take it to ?
                        I used a coarse grind, mixed the seasonings/cure then ran it back through the grinder. I was using the old manual grinder, it only had to choices and the other was very fine. I took it to about 150 degrees which ended up taking 5 or 6 hours.
                        KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Originally posted by BrewMasterJosh View Post
                          Looks grat! Please send me recipe if you get a chance Wu. Always liked turkey sausage, but not the bacon. Tried some of the flat steak-um looking ones, just couldnt get past the look and bad texture.
                          The recipe was super simple. I used 1.5 tsp per pound of TenderQuick cure, which already has all the salt you would want and has some sugar. I added about 1/4 cup brown sugar that I distributed into all the meat when mixing and I added the plain gelatin as a binder. And that is it. I wanted this to be a very basic trial recipe so I could figure out how I would want to tweak it next time, but I would have no problem making it this same way again. It was good.
                          KCBS/CBJ #56408

Comment

Sweet!! Thanks Wu. Now I have more in the "que". Haha, ill get to it all.
                            GOSM
                            Sausagemaker's Country Smokehouse
                            Charcoal Grill
                            Stainless Steel Gas Grill (for when I'm really lazy)

Comment

What more can I say? Wow. Nicely done. Figured turkey or chicken would work fine for Gunny's method..... but striped? Definitely unique. That's points worthy right there.

Sounds like it turned out good. A coating of CBP is really good too. Looking forward to your tweaks.
                              S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                              CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                              New Braunfels Bandera
                              UniFlame Gas Grill
                              Lil Chief

Comment

Working...
                              X