Cajun Gumbo&Jambalaya w/pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cajun Gumbo&Jambalaya w/pics

I can't find a spot that this fits into so here it is.

Chicken & Andouille Smoked Sausage Gumbo
    Poorman’s Jambalaya (tasso and andouille)

First off I need to say WOW. This jambalaya and gumbo is amazing. I got this from a cook book my father got me called Louisiana Kitchen (by Paul Prudhomme) My Dad told me about this and I have had his jambalaya he made from this book. But come to find out the trick to making this dish over the top is to make some Jam and Gumbo and pour the gumbo of the top. I didn’t get many pics but if you don’t have this book get it. I have looked through this and found tons of recipes that sound GREAT ! Here are the pics

Chicken pulled apart and resting for the gumbo

Gumbo simmering. Here you can see the homemade andouille sausage in it along with numerous other tempting morsels of goodness.

While the gumbo was simmering I got to work on the jambalaya

Gumbo finished first. This is after the chicken was added

Jam all cooked up and ready to serve

First in the bowl is the jambalaya

Next is the Gumbo over the top with some diced up green onions

Thanks for lookin. I think next time I will smoke the chicken and then jullien the skin very fine instead of frying it. This is honestly one of the best meals I have had in awhile and in the top 2 for Cajun food for sure. The flavor of the roux is amazing in the gumbo dish itself.
    Jerod
    GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
    sigpic

God I love that stuff! Any chance of posting the recipe? Yum!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Cool..

Please pass me a big bowl and spoon thx ... Dwayne
      South Georgia heat,,,smoking something....
      Chargrill w/ royaloak lump
      Mad Hunky droooooling

Comment

OH Man that is great looking
        Scarbelly

Comment

will get it up later ...heheehee
          Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          Thanks man !
          Originally posted by Scarbelly View Post
          OH Man that is great looking
          Last edited by GOT14U; 08-05-2010, 12:55 AM.
          Jerod
          GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
          sigpic

Comment

Man, that looks delicious. Even my ulcer is begging for a bowl of it! :-)
            sigpic

Comment

WHOA! Back the truck up here....Man that looks amazing! I could tear through a dutch oven of that right there. Nice pots you pulled out too, the porcelain cast, and the dutch oven...doing that up right!
              BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
              Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
              I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

I could taste that all the way down here in Colorado! That looks absolutely delicious.
                sigpic
                Smoke Vault 24

Comment

That looks fantastic jerod...Only problem is that ceramic pot full would be my dinner.Tough luck for the other folks...

Comment

Thanks for all the compliments....Here is the recipe so you can try it.

Chicken & Smoked Sausage Gumbo
                    Makes 6 main dish servings or 10 appetizer servings
                    There must be as many kinds of gumbo as there are families in south Louisiana! Maybe more, because each one has its own recipe, using chicken, duck, sausage, beef, seafood and vegetables, depending on what's available
                    in their area. You know what? T
                    Find this recipe and more in Chef Paul Prudhomme's Always Cooking!.
                    ingredients
                    1 (2-3 pound) chicken, all visible far removed, cut into 8 pieces
                    2 tablespoons, plus 2 teaspoons Chef Paul Prudhomme's Poultry Magic� or 2 tablespoons Chef Paul Prudhomme's Meat Magic� (See Note)
                    1 cup finely diced onions
                    1 cup finely diced green bell peppers
                    3/4 cup finely diced celery
                    1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
                    Vegetable oil for frying
                    7 cups chicken stock
                    1/2 pound Chef Paul Prudhomme's Andouille Smoked Sausage, diced into �-inch cubes
                    1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
                    2 cups hot cooked white rice
                    how to prepare
                    Sprinkle the chicken evenly with 2 tablespoons of the Poultry Magic (or 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of Meat Magic) and rub it in well. Let stand at room temperature while you dice the vegetables.
                    Combine the onions, bell peppers and celery in a bowl and set aside.
                    Combine the remaining Poultry Magic (or Meat Magic) with the flour in a paper or plastic bag. Add the seasoned chicken pieces and shake until the chicken is well coated. Reserve ½ cup of the seasoned flour. Heat 1½ inches of oil in a large, heavy skillet over high heat until very hot (375°F to 400°F), about 6 to 7 minutes. Fry the chicken, skin side down and large pieces first, until the crust is brown on both sides and the meat is cooked, about 5 to 8 minutes per side. You may have to fry the chicken in batches. Drain on paper towels. Carefully pour the hot oil into a heatproof glass measuring cup, leaving some of the brown bits in the pan, then return ½ cup of the hot oil to the pan.
                    Return the pan to high heat and gradually whisk in the reserved ½ cup seasoned flour. Cook, whisking constantly, until the roux is dark red-brown, about 3½ to 4 minutes, being careful not to let it scorch or splash on your skin. Remove the pan from the heat and immediately add the vegetables, stirring constantly until the roux stops getting darker. Place the pan over low heat and cook, stirring constantly and scraping the pan bottom well, until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.

Now the Jambalaya

Poorman’s Jambalaya

Makes 4 main-course or 8 appetizer servings

Seasoning mix:
                    4 small whole bay leaves
                    1 teaspoon salt
                    1 teaspoon white pepper
                    1 teaspoon dry mustard
                    1 teaspoon ground red pepper (preferably cayenne)
                    1 teaspoon gumbo file (file powder), optional
                    ½ teaspoon ground cumin
                    ½ teaspoon black pepper
                    ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves

4 tablespoons margarine
                    6 ounces tasso (preferred) or other smoked ham (preferably Cure 81), diced, about 1½ cups
                    6 ounces andouille smoked sausage (preferred) or any other good pure smoked pork sausage such as Polish sausage (kielbasa), diced, about 1 heaping cup
                    1½ cups chopped onions
                    1½ cups chopped celery
                    1 cup chopped green bell peppers
                    1½ teaspoons minced garlic
                    2 cups uncooked rice (preferably converted)
                    4 cups Basic Beef, Pork or Chicken Stock (page 31)

Thoroughly combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

In a large heavy skillet (preferably cast iron) melt the margarine over high heat. Add the tasso and andouille; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally: add the onions, celery, bell, peppers, seasoning mix and garlic. Stir Well and continue cooking until browned, about 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping the pan bottom well. Stir in the rice and cook 5 minutes, stirring and scraping pan bottom occasionally. Add the stock, stirring well. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until rice is tender but still a bit crunchy, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally toward the end of cooking time. Meanwhile, heat the serving plates in a 250 deg oven. Remove bay leaves and serve immediately.

BASIC STOCK

Make 1 Quart Basic Stock

About 2 quarts cold water
                    Vegetable trimmings from the recipe(s) you are serving, or
                    I medium onion, unpeeled and quartered
                    1 large clove garlic, unpeeled and quartered
                    I rib celery
                    Bones and any excess meat (excluding livers) from meat or
                    poultry, or shells or carcasses from seafood, used in
                    the recipe(s) you're cooking, or

For Fowl and Game Stocks: 1½ to 2 pounds backs, necks
                    And/or bones from chickens, guinea hens, ducks,
                    geese, rabbits, etc.

For Beef or Turtle Stocks: 1½ to 2 pounds beef shank
                    (preferred) or other beef or turtle bones

For Pork Stock: 1½ to 2 pounds pork neck bones
                    (preferred) or other pork bones

For Seafood Stock: 1½ to 2 pounds rinsed shrimp heads and/or shells, or crawfish heads and/or shells, or crab shells (2½ to 3 quarts), or rinsed fish carcasses (heads and gills removed), or any combination of these. (You can also substitute oyster liquor for all or part of seafood stock called for in a recipe.)

NOTE: If desired, you can first roast meat bones and vegetables at 350 deg until thoroughly browned. Then use them to make your basic stock. (When you brown the bones and vegetables, the natural sugar in both caramelizes on the surface, which gives the stock a fuller taste and adds color when it dissolves in the stock water.)

Always start with cold water—enough to cover the other stock ingredients. Place all ingredients in a stock pot or a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then gently simmer at least 4 hours, preferably 8 (unless directed otherwise in a recipe), replenishing the water as needed to keep about 1 quart of liquid in the pan. The pot may be uncovered or set a lid on it askew. Strain, cool and refrigerate until ready to use. (NOTE: Remember that if you are short on time, using a stock simmered 20 to 30 minutes is far better than using just water in any recipe.)

To Make a Rich Stock

Strain the basic stock, then continue simmering it until evaporation reduces the liquid by half or more. For example, if your recipe calls for 1 cup of rich stock, start it with at least 2 cups of strained basic stock. (Rich stocks are needed when a sauce requires lots of taste but only a limited amount of liquid, for example, Oyster Sauce for Beef, page 246. They are also excellent for general use.)
                    Jerod
                    GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                    sigpic

Comment

Man....Justin Wilson would be right proud of ya! Nice...real nice! Good on ya for gettin that recipe up! Thanks!
                      Sunset Eagle Aviation
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        I know it's not creative, but my thoughts exactly

I want some right now....... ......
                        Last edited by Fishawn; 08-05-2010, 10:42 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Sweet!!! does that recipie book have a ring binder to it and about 11"x6"x1"? if so i think i have it just dont know where it exactly is this moment... nice looking stuff there Jerod!!!! and thks for sharing that recipie...
                          Charbroil SFB
                          GOSM
                          MES
                          Dutch Ovens and other CI
                          Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                          Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Looks great. Did you make your own roux or go store bought? The recipe calls for stirring the roux for "3½ to 4 minutes", I've never gotten away with less than 15-20 minutes. I have friends that swear by the store bought, haven't tried it.
                            Mark
                            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

That is some good looking chow right there. I love Chef Paul Prudhomme.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X