Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brined and Hot smoked Peppered Mackerel fillets - and what I had for lunch :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brined and Hot smoked Peppered Mackerel fillets - and what I had for lunch :-)

So dave's been to ilfracombe for a week or so and brought back about ten mackerel for me to play with :-)

A couple I did as two seperate fillets but the rest I had a go at butterfly filleting. Never done it before, didn't really know how it worked or anything really lol.

Defrosting

Now while they were defrosting - I had lunch.
    Home made sesame seed buns and homemade burgers.
    I make 3 oz burgers, on account my burgers don't shrink when cooked and end up larger than shop quarter pounders by some considerable margin :-)

After lunch - down to the filleting !

Filleted

To be honest I reckon I didn't do too bad a job. The mackerel I buy has just as many bones in as the fillets I did. The butterfly looks better and I think you end up with noticeably more fish to your fillets:-)

I soaked the fillets in a sort of brine/marinade.
    water in a large glass bowl with 2 tsp salt dissolved, several good splashes of indonesian sweet chilli sauce and about twice as much red wine balasmic vinegar (that's what it says on the bottle).

Gave them about 3 hours in the brine and then into the smoker.
    I ground fresh cbp over the fillets once in the smoker. With the electric pepper grinder this is very much the quickest and easiest way to do it :-)

Ran it for about an hour at around 180 and then up to 250 for another 40 mins or so and fish were done (abts and mutton - see abt thread - were in for a bit longer).

Cooled them down and then vacpacked.
    Now, because I'd brined these they were still very moist and juicy. First one leaked like a bastard under vacumn.
    The rest I wrapped in a single sheet of clingfilm first. This seals tight round the fish (or whatever moist thing you're packing) and stops any liquid being squeezed out. Best of both worlds, food stays moist and gets vacpacked.

Flavour wise these were great. You could really taste the brine ingredients.

Definitely something I'll be doing again.
    Attached Files
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

I'd say ya did pretty good there.....put a knife in my hand and I could make a butcher cry!
    Mackerel looks delicious!!
    Gene

sigpic

The Farm...
    http://gardenofeatn-rhf.blogspot.com/

Comment

Great work Alex..... ...... You've been busy
      sigpic

Comment

Not bad stuff there mate! Balsamic wine vinegar eh? Interesting fish flavor- you say it works? I like the balsamics- perhaps I should try that.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I just love Mackerel. Great job CA...
          ---------------------------------------------------
          I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
          ---------------------------------------------------
          KCBS CBJ

Comment

never had mackeral... but bet it beats tea and crumpets eh.... nice job alex!!!
            Charbroil SFB
            GOSM
            MES
            Dutch Ovens and other CI
            Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
            Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
              never had mackeral... but bet it beats tea and crumpets eh.... nice job alex!!!
              seriously ?
              It's probably the most underrated fish around.
              Great flavour, firm, fairly fatty meat which makes it ideal for hot smoking.
              Also good fried.
              Fillets relatively easy - well I managed lol

And I believe - although never done it myself - you can catch mackerel using feathers as a lure lol

Yeah the brine flavours - while not that strong - did come through really well. You could tastes the chilli and a hint of the vinegar.

It says on the bottle that it's balsamic vinegar made with red grape must - to be honest it's just a sort of cheap red wine vinegar. I didn't use straight balsamic as the sweet chilli already added all the sweetness I wanted.

It was just something I knocked up on the spur of the moment, with a less rich fish it would probably not have been as effective. But with mackerel you need something to cut through the fat content.

Alas all the fish went home with dave - but then he did leave behind the a-maze-n-clone. I'd say that's a fair swap lol
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
              X