What knives do you own, and why.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What knives do you own, and why.

Researching knives. To begin with I will start with a 8 inch Chef's knife. I will then add a paring, boning/filleting, and a carver.

I want to spend some bux on em, why I will be buying them one at a time.

I know all about the german ones. But have been really interested in the Japanese ones, Shun in particular.

But wanted to ask the membership here, on their experiences with any brand name, from Wuestoff to Heinkle to Mac to Shun, etc.

I want to be able to pass these knives down to my son.

and yes, I have some OLD knives that take a edge well, and I use em alot. But I want to make a investment in a good quality knife collection. I may not even buy the four I want from the same Brand.

We have a place here in Des Moines that sells Wuestoff, and all she could do is bad mouth all the others. Would be nice to be able to compare knives, and even maybe chop something with them to see how well the knife fits the hand and handles. Something Kitchen Collage didn't offer.
    I will even travel to Omaha, if I can find a decent cutlery place that will let me experience the knife. Don't want to buy something and take it home, and it just doesnt werk for either me or wifey.

TIA

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

We bought a set of Henckel International a few years back. Have always like them and they seem to perform pretty well. However, the past couple years I have also went to our local restaurant supply and have bought the basic knives by Mundial. White plastic handles, NSF and hold an edge 10X's longer than any of my Henckels. They are not an expensive knife at all, but a real workhorse, so to speak. I bought them mainly for when I process deer in the Fall. Not what I would say a family heirloom knife to pass down, but man the do work.
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

I have a couple cutco's which I do like their feel and seem to hold a edge for me. I have 2 Henckels not really my favorite. But my go to every time I cook knife is the white handles ones from sam's club.....2 for $20 can't beat that. They seem to stand up to my abuse and work nice. I do wish there was a smaller cheifs knife but oh well.
      Jerod
      GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
      sigpic

Comment

I have a whole set of Henkles, from the old cooking school days. I love them, however, I dont like the new shape of the solid handled one. Have used Wustoff some, both are very nice and made well. I would go with what feels best in your hand. Long as it is drop forged, and not pressed you should be fine. I have one santuko knife as well, not a fan of the shape (you cant rock the blade, as it is flatter) and a true japanese knife is beveled backwards. They are meant to pull toward you, and a standard knife you rock/ chop away from your body. One more thing, wife has a few of the Henkels with the riveted handles, they crack and have started to come loose(also hander to keep sanitary/clean) Just my .02
        GOSM
        Sausagemaker's Country Smokehouse
        Charcoal Grill
        Stainless Steel Gas Grill (for when I'm really lazy)

Comment

from my researching, seems that stamped have overtaken forged in a better blade. Yeah, back in the day, stamped was a poor knife choice, but with todays better steels, stamped is the shits........gives you a str8er edge, where as forged, will give you a wavy edge.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Mixed set of Henckels & Wusthof...... But honestly, I like my cheap KIWI best, I just like the lightness of it & it is the first thin blade knife I have used & Razor sharp when new & quick to touch up...... I think I got 4 of them delivered for less than $20..... Wusthof Santoku 2nd choice.
            sigpic

Comment

I've had a set of Chicago Cutlery for over 30 years. Now back then they were prety well made and we bought our daughter a set about 5 years ago and what a bunch of crap. There wasn't a display just a box with a picture. Sure they sharpen real easy but go dull real fast too. I have taken my set in to a butcher supply and had the re-hollow ground. I also use a Forschner boning knife. Good luck on your search.

I heard Lindsay Lohan got ahold of a shiv in prison and made a nail file out of it. hehehe

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                I heard Lindsay Lohan got ahold of a shiv in prison and made a nail file out of it. hehehe
                Hehe...

I have old H's and W's and some of the new H's, and did lose a Chef's to a cracked handle- the others seem to be holding up fine. Now- mind you I TRY not to put them in the dishwasher, but sometimes the family does me a "favor" and cleans up.

Some of the newer cheaper stuff is dang good. Heirlooms- not. But they are good workers. I do have an old Chicago carbon blade. Love it. Yes, ya gotta steel/sharpen it every time, and keep it clean/dry or it rusts, but what an edge in a few swipes!
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I have not used any of the Ceramic knives, but have a relative that just got one & he likes it a lot, he mentioned it was SPENDY, but did not say how much.... I do believe Kelly has a Shun (or similar) & I think the blade either chipped or broke?.... Maybe PM her & ask her what she thinks.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                    I have not used any of the Ceramic knives, but have a relative that just got one & he likes it a lot, he mentioned it was SPENDY, but did not say how much.... I do believe Kelly has a Shun (or similar) & I think the blade either chipped or broke?.... Maybe PM her & ask her what she thinks.
                    problem with ceramic, don't drop em, they WILL break. Plus, they WILL get dull, and you have to send em in to get sharpened. Normally to Japan.

Also, Shun has a lifetime warranty. So if Kelly's WAS a Shun, she can get a replacement free!!

Comment

Just out of curiosity Steve, with all your recent research..... If you had to buy one knife today, which one do you think you would choose?
                      sigpic

Comment

The Shun Classic 8 inch Chef's knife

130 at either Bed Bath and Beyond, or Williams and Sonoma

Comment

i have many different knives, brands, and styles. each one performs differently on a specific task but i can pretty much use any one of them to the same thing....i can remove silverskin from a pork tender with my messermeister veggie cleaver and i can trim and core a pineaple with my henkel 3 inch birds beak. my point, a knive is a lot like a gun..........it ain't shit unless you know how to use it well. also like a gun it is all about the user's preference on performance, maintenance, and feel. that being said i have higher end as well as lower end and all of them i chose for a specific task in a specific environment (work/home/bbq) and they are maintained to perform the way i like them to.
                          i will say as for henkel the ONLY line i would buy is the 4 star.....the handles will last a lifetime, feel good for extended use, and are easy to keep clean, i have had mine for 10yrs plus and they still perform like day one.

and as for passing them on.........no F'n way, i'm taking them with me!
                          sigpic
                          it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                            and as for passing them on.........no F'n way, i'm taking them with me!
                            lolol

Comment

My wife bought me a set of Henckels Everedge Plus... What a waste of cash.. I almost never use them.. POS in my opinion.. They have rust spots on the blades and I hate that micro-serrated edge... It make one or two nice cuts then the edge gets fat in it and then just does not cut.. Hell I would use my pocket knife before I use these..

So they just sit collecting dust at the back of the counter..
                              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Working...
                              X