Costco Bradley Smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costco Bradley Smoker?

I have to apologize for not getting the model but yesterday I was a outlet store that was selling a Bradley Smoker for $260, and i was wondering if it was a good buy. I know nothing about the Bradley Smokers and how they compare to other eletric smokers any info would be helpfull.

Thanks

I would get the MES 40" from Sam's for $299.00 + $39.00 for the 3 yr extended warranty and you will be happier. I just got rid of my Digital 6 rack Bradley which was junk. I only used it twice and replaced it with the MES 40". I only lost $250.00 on the deal.

Get the MES and you don't have to buy proprietary pucks which are over priced. Plus you will get better results.

Comment

Choose your poison as they're both Made in China
      If I had my druthers, I'd take the Bradley 4 rack. Good deals can be had on the pucks if you look around.
      Last edited by Mikey; 08-11-2010, 10:48 AM.
      sigpic
      New Braunfels Bandera
      New Braunfels Hondo
      4-22.5" Weber Kettles
      1-26" Weber Kettle
      24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
      Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

I have owned a digital Bradley for a couple of years now and have had no problems with it. I can highly recommend them. My 12 yo son can use it by himself and loves it. There is a Bradley users forum you could check out as well.

As with anything, you're going to find an occasional lemon out there. I would suggest doing research on the different ones available and decide for yourself if you want an electic smoker and go from there.
        Dawn

New Braunfels Bandera "Grail"
        Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
        1 Maverick ET-73
        1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

I have a 30" MES for about 3 years and honestly love it and the convenience and low operating costs (no special COSTLY pucks or pellets required)... That said, I am always prepared for that SOB to quit on me in the middle of a smoke. It has happened 4 times and the repair is pretty easy (I drilled out the rivets that hold the back on and replaced with SS screws) and I can have the repair done in about 10-15 minutes, depending on where my 6 y/o left my cordless drill.... A friend has a Bradley and likes it, but cringes when he has to buy pucks.... Just some thoughts.
          sigpic

Comment

When you read the Bradley Forum be sure to read all the posts of how they don't get up to temp, people have to add second elements, PIDs and all kind of modifications to make them work satisfactory for everything except maybe cheese, fish or sausage making.

On mine I could never get the temp over 200º. It took 23hrs to do 2 pork butts, a ham and 5 lbs of Fresh sausage.

Also the MES is wide enough to hold a slab of ribs without having to cut them in half to smoke them.

You can use regular wood chips or chunks found in almost all grocery or home improvement stores which are lots cheaper than Bradley Pucks.

Originally posted by irishteabear View Post
            I have owned a digital Bradley for a couple of years now and have had no problems with it. I can highly recommend them. My 12 yo son can use it by himself and loves it. There is a Bradley users forum you could check out as well.

As with anything, you're going to find an occasional lemon out there. I would suggest doing research on the different ones available and decide for yourself if you want an electic smoker and go from there.

Ask Irishteabear how often She uses the Bradley and for what.

If you read the Bradley forum intensively and not just skim it like I did you will steer clear of Bradley Smokers and buy one you don't have to redesign in order to use it for regular smoking.

Here is a post I made on another forum that compares the two.
            I bought my Bradley last August because of all the hype on them. When I got it I was super excited as I bought their biggest and best Model the 6 rack digital. I have used it twice. The first time we took the pork butts out of it after about 10 hours because we couldn't get the cabinet temp up over 198º and finished them in the oven.

The second smoke we decided to see how long it would take to complete in the smoker and after 23 hours we got the pork butts to 189º or there about. I have never been able to get cabinet temp above 200º.

I contacted Bradley and their great customer service said it must be the Temp sensor and they mailed me a new one that I could install myself. So much for a Warranty. Then I decided to start reading every post on their forum and began to notice that everyone was either adding a second element or a PID or some other fix so that the thing would get to proper temps. Also having to by Bubba Pucks in order to use the last three pucks in the feeder.

I also noticed that the majority of those liking them smoked Cheese, Fish, Sausage and things not needing long smokes or higher temps.

I also noticed a lot of complaints about not getting up to temps leading to the threads on how to over come that problem by adding the items to the smoker listed above.

here are some of the major differences I find.

I bought a new Bradley Digital 6 rack last fall and have used it 2 times. It is worthless in my opinion. I plan on selling it on Craig's list and taking my loss.

Bradley 6 Rack Digital

* Dimensions: Inside 15”W x 11.5”D x 33”HT Must Cut a Slab of Ribs in Half to Fit on Rack
            * Dimensions: Outside: 17”W x 14”D x 39”HT - 24"W with Generator on side
            * Internal Heater: 500 watt cooking element / 125 watt smoking element
            * Bradley Price: $599.00
            * 1 yr Factory Warranty (They Send You The Parts You Install Them, Some Warranty!!!)
            * Must use Proprietary Pucks Bradley Smoker Bisquettes 48 Pack - HICKORY $16,99 From Yard and Pool
            * Bubba Pucks Needed to Feed Last Three Wood Pucks
            * Bubba Pucks - Bradley Smoker Woodsaver - Set of Three $25.95 From Yard and Pool

MES 40"

* Sam's Item # 173462
            * Dimensions: 41" x 20" x 24-7/8 Will hold full slab of ribs without cutting in half
            * MES Price at Sam's: $299.00
            * 3Yr Extended Warranty: $39.00
            * MES has 1200 Watt Heating Element
            * Uses Common Wood Chips or Chunks Which Can Be Found Anyplace Cheap. Can Even Make Your Own.

Which would you buy after comparing side by side? The cost of operating the Bradley skyrockets once you get past their original hype. The original cost alone is a $160.00 more than the cost of the MES + the 3yr Warranty from Sam's. If It Breaks Just Take It Back and Get Another One!!! And the MES is BIGGER!

On another forum a lot of us frequent there are many MES users and ALL are Extremely Satisfied with them. They don't have the problems Bradleys do with recovery times, wood chips can be added without opening the door, many advantages.

I would highly recommenced getting one if you are looking for a good electric smoker
            I would also like to point out that I finally sold the Bradley with all the extras I purchased 3 boxes of 48 pucks and 3 Bubba Pucks (Never Used) over $700.00 Total Expense on July 4th to a man for $350.00 and felt luck getting that much back.

Comment

Good data ...... My 30" MES is only 14" wide..... Nice to know the new ones are even wider..... Thanks for posting Paul!

Good point on the wood chips also on making your own.... I have bought the bags of chips & or chunks for as low as $1.99 a bag (not sure what the size is).... And my FIL cuts Vine Maple for me that costs me nothing... Something to think about....
              sigpic

Comment

I contacted Bradley and their great customer service said it must be the Temp sensor and they mailed me a new one that I could install myself. Did you install the temp sensor? So much for a Warranty. Then I decided to start reading every post on their forum and began to notice that everyone was either adding a second element or a PID or some other fix so that the thing would get to proper temps.

Also on the Bradley forum folks were using extension cords which you failed to mention. So, what gauge and length was the extension cord you were using
                sigpic
                New Braunfels Bandera
                New Braunfels Hondo
                4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                1-26" Weber Kettle

Comment

the bradley is good - for certain things, and when it works.

And nope it won't get hot enough to do ribs. Never had a problem with anything else. But then the element died and a used it as a charcoal smoker once succesfully and once whe it caught fire and properly died lol.
                  Before the element died we had to strip down and rebuild the puck feeder at least twice.

But the racks from it are brilliant use them in the outlaw all the time.

But yeah, if you're going to get an electric, get one with at least a 1000 watt element (bradley uses 500).

And if you want set and forget (I do get a lot of thereupeutic relaxation from running the outlaw) maybe think uds rather than electric.
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                    I contacted Bradley and their great customer service said it must be the Temp sensor and they mailed me a new one that I could install myself. Did you install the temp sensor? So much for a Warranty. Then I decided to start reading every post on their forum and began to notice that everyone was either adding a second element or a PID or some other fix so that the thing would get to proper temps.

Also on the Bradley forum folks were using extension cords which you failed to mention. So, what gauge and length was the extension cord you were using
                    Yes, it was installed.

The same as I use on the MES a 9' & 10 Gauge Cord, Heavier than the wiring in my house...

Also If you have to do the repairs yourself and they only cover the parts, they should state in their warranty coverage statement that labor is not included that the buyer is responsible for parts installation.

For a $600.00 cooker most people would expect it to preform the expected tasks without having to do any repairs or modifications in order to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer-B-Q View Post

Also If you have to do the repairs yourself and they only cover the parts, they should state in their warranty coverage statement that labor is not included that the buyer is responsible for parts installation.
                      It's clearly stated in their warranty policy. 3rd item down.
                      http://www.bradleysmoker.com/pdf/201...erwarranty.pdf

Bradley Technologies at its discretion will provide a replacement component for any component found by Bradley
                      Technologies to be defective and shall not be responsible for any re‐assembly.
                      sigpic
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      New Braunfels Hondo
                      4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                      1-26" Weber Kettle

Comment

Go propane...... for $260 you should be able to get a nice one.
                        If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
                        Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                          It's clearly stated in their warranty policy. 3rd item down.
                          http://www.bradleysmoker.com/pdf/201...erwarranty.pdf

Bradley Technologies at its discretion will provide a replacement component for any component found by Bradley
                          Technologies to be defective and shall not be responsible for any re‐assembly.
                          Seems they forgot to mention that in their ad...
                          Bradley Products Smokers
                          6 Rack Digital Smoker - Digital Smoker Grill

6 Rack Digital Smoker - Digital Smoker Grill Click to Enlarge
                          6 Rack Digital Smoker

Product Code: BTDS108P

The 6-rack Digital Smoker includes all the features of the Original Smoker along with the benefits of digital technology. Temperature, time, and smoke are now completely controllable so you can decide how much smoke you want, how long your food is going to be smoked for, and at what temperature. Perfect for entertaining, creating gourmet foods in your own home, or just enjoying the flavor that smoking brings, the new Bradley Digital Smokers offer an easier and better way to automatically roast, smoke and barbecue in the outdoors.

Specifications

* Shipping Box Weight: 71 lbs
                          * Shipping Box Dimensions: 41" H x 20" W x 18" D
                          * Construction - Exterior: Powder Epoxy Steel
                          * Construction - Interior: Polished Stainless Steel
                          * Internal Cooking Vol: 3432 cu in
                          * Internal Heater: 500 watt cooking element / 125 watt smoking element
                          * Power: 120 V 50 - 60 Hz , - 5.5 Amps (240 Volt Model TBA)
                          * ETL & CE Listed
                          * Max Temperature: Controllable up to 280F.
                          * Min Temp: subject to ambient temperature
                          * Digital Controls: Temperature, Time, Smoke
                          * Adjustable racks: 6 racks (11" X 13" cooking space each)
                          * Warranty: 12 Months from date of original purchase
                          * Includes:Owners Manual
                          * Recipe Booklet
                          * Comes with Rectangular Tray and Drip Bowl
                          * Bisquettes not included

Dimensions

* Outside17”W x 14”D x 39”HT - 24"W with Generator on side
                          * Inside15”W x 11.5”D x 33”HT
                          * Smoking Area26.5"HT useable smoking area above drip tray
                          * Rack Area780sq" (6X10X13)

* $599.00 CAD
                          * $599.00 USD

Comment

So b-man, did you decide anything in the end ?

I'm guessing not a bradley after they kicking they've got in this thread, or maybe you did and that's why you're keeping quiet :-)

We won't have a got at you, honestly.

I was happy with mine - it worked quite well for about 12 months.
                            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Beer-B-Q View Post
                              Seems they forgot to mention that in their ad...
                              Seems they (Masterbuilt) forgot to mention their generous 90 day warranty in their ad...
                              This is just an apples to apples comparison in warranties offered up by the Manufacturer. The 3 yr warranty is offered up by a specific retailer (Sams Club).
                              Bottom line is do your research prior to laying out your hard earned money, and read all of the fine print in the warranty. Buy American if you can!
                              Electric Digital Smokers

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

• Viewing window and internal light
                              • Push-button digital time temperature & time control panel
                              • Thermostat controlled temperature
                              • Chrome-coated smoking racks
                              • Convenient side wood-chip loader
                              • Removable drip pan and rear-mounted grease pan

40" Stainless with Window - Model 20071009
                              $429.99
                              30" Black with Window - Model 20070110
                              $299.99

LIMITED WARRANTY INFORMATION
                              Masterbuilt warrants its products to be free from defects in material and workmanship under proper assembly, normal
                              use and recommended care for 90 days from the date of original retail purchase.
                              Masterbuilt warranty does not cover paint finish as it may burn off during normal use.
                              Masterbuilt warranty does not cover rust of the unit.
                              Masterbuilt requires reasonable proof of purchase for warranty claims and suggests that you keep your receipt. Upon
                              the expiration of such warranty, all such liability shall terminate.
                              Within the stated warranty period, Masterbuilt, at its discretion, shall repair or replace defective components free of
                              charge with owner being responsible for shipping. Should Masterbuilt require return of component(s) in question for
                              inspection Masterbuilt will be responsible for shipping charges to return requested item.
                              This warranty excludes property damage sustained due to misuse, abuse, accident, damage arising out of
                              transportation, or damage incurred by commercial use of this product.
                              This expressed warranty is the sole warranty given by Masterbuilt and is in lieu of all other warranties, expressed or
                              implied including implied warranty, merchantability, or fitness for a particular purpose.
                              Neither Masterbuilt nor the retail establishment selling this product, has authority to make any warranties or to promise remedies in additon to or inconsistent to with those stated above. Escape clause?
                              Masterbuilt’s maximum liability, in any event, shall not exceed the purchase price of the product paid by the original
                              consumer/ purchaser. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages. In
                              such a case, the above limitations or exclusions may not be applicable.
                              California residents only: Not withstanding this limitation of warranty, the following specific restrictions apply; if service,
                              repair, or replacement of the product is not commercially practical, the retailer selling the product or Masterbuilt will
                              refund the purchase price paid for the product, less the amount directly attributable to use by the original buyer prior to
                              the discovery of the nonconformity. Owner may take the product to the retail establishment selling this product in order
                              to obtain performance under warranty.
                              This expressed warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to

sigpic
                              New Braunfels Bandera
                              New Braunfels Hondo
                              4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                              1-26" Weber Kettle

Comment

Working...
                              X