Reverse-flow question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse-flow question

I am thinking of building a smoker like BBQ Engineer (Great work). So, with the reverse smoker design, I also want to add propane burners for two purposes.

1. Use as alt. fuel source for when I want to do that.
    2. Use as a Grill for making burgers, etc..

So, I am thinking of making 3 black pipe burners. I was going to put them on top of the plate that directs the heat and have 3 heat covers on top of them, like a grill, to stop the drippings.

1. Could I put them under that plate, would it block the heat too much?
    2. Should I put them above the plate then add three under or a seperate burner in the firebox?

What are your thoughts?

This will be interesting. Wait till I want to add a charcoal basket to use like a grill too.....

I have a reverse flow that works both ways. It has the gas burner under the plate. I now wish I had two burners but that's another story. I think if you put your burners above the plate you run the risk of a greese fire.

Doug
    www.nopigleftbehind.com
    -----------------------------

Comment

So, why two burners? You think even with the cover plates over the burners you would see the flare up?

So, how are your temps and usage? You think the burner can make the required hear int he smoke box?

I am going to do the insulated smoker.

Comment

D-mac,

If you want a propane assist, then I would put it in the firebox so you could direct it at a split and still get some smoke out of it.

Then a separate burner in above the baffle plate for grilling purposes.

Here is a cool idea on building a iron pipe burner.......http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=28224
        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

D-Mac,
          check out my build it may help you out.

Reverse Flow Build

[IMG][/IMG]

this is before I put the reverse plate in.
          I would make it removable

Comment

What size pipe is that and the cap as well?

Comment

Originally posted by d-mac View Post
              What size pipe is that and the cap as well?

1" pipe 1" cap

pipe build link

There is a link on the my build blog for the directions as well.

Works great, built one for a log lighter as well and want the option to smoke with just propane.
              Having problems getting the log lighter to burn clean. may have to order a few different orifices.

heres a few pics

Preheat burner, this gets hot enough to use for grilling.

[IMG][/IMG]

Burner and mixer

[IMG][/IMG]

log lighter on high
              [IMG][/IMG]

added wood
              [IMG][/IMG]

wood igniting, only takes a few minutes

Comment

Great pics. I am thinking of a way to also have a way to light it easy. I am not sure if I am going to use a pilot hole that a welded cap or an electric, may not do good here. Or use some channel to move some gas to a lighting area.

The small one may need less air or less pressure. But, if you are only using it to light logs, it's great. Thanks for your info

Comment

Still working on getting the log lighter to burn as good as my preheat burner.

LOW

MEDIUM

HIGH

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                    D-mac,

Here is a cool idea on building a iron pipe burner.......http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=28224
                    BBQ, Sorry, didn't know you posted the link already.

Comment

Originally posted by d-mac View Post
                      So, why two burners? You think even with the cover plates over the burners you would see the flare up?

So, how are your temps and usage? You think the burner can make the required hear int he smoke box?

I am going to do the insulated smoker.
                      I had the smoker built no knowing that one burner would not let me get the temps high enough to grill.

Well, the way I understand how you are looking at doing it you would have the reverse flow plate with the burners above it. Even with deflector plates moving the greese away from the burners you would still have a build up of greese on the reverse flow plate. The way mine is built no greese gets to the burner because it's under the plate. The burner will heat the whole plate which in turns helps to even out the temps in the whole cooker.

Me, I wouldn't put a burner on the top of the reverse flow plate if someone gave me a cooker like that.

Just my .02
                      www.nopigleftbehind.com
                      -----------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by gooose53 View Post
                        I had the smoker built no knowing that one burner would not let me get the temps high enough to grill.

Well, the way I understand how you are looking at doing it you would have the reverse flow plate with the burners above it. Even with deflector plates moving the greese away from the burners you would still have a build up of greese on the reverse flow plate. The way mine is built no greese gets to the burner because it's under the plate. The burner will heat the whole plate which in turns helps to even out the temps in the whole cooker.

Me, I wouldn't put a burner on the top of the reverse flow plate if someone gave me a cooker like that.

Just my .02
                        Ditto, Seems like a potential fire hazard if the burner is on top of the Baffle

Comment

Working...
                        X