No announcement yet.

Turkey Burners - Simple is Always Best!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey Burners - Simple is Always Best!

On my trip to Iowa last weekend, I almost threw my turkey burner across the yard...I have been fighting with that POS for a while, but this was the last straw.

I have one like this....

The trouble with this is that it is a bowl...it holds ash that falls out of the charcoal chimney, and then if it rains on it it immediately is clogged, rusted, and unuseable. I can't count the number of times that I have performed surgery on that POS to get even a half assed dirty yellow flame.

When I got back I ordered one of these for $40.00 shipped to my door from Ebay.

I looked at different designs and was going to get a 23 tip jet burner, but I always came back to simple is better for something like this...Here's how simple it is.

It has a fixed 20 PSI regulator attached to a needle valve. This makes the regulator somewhat adjustable by a device that isn't going to go belly up...solid.

Stainless braided hose that attached to 1/4" pipe....solid. (there is a guard that goes over this...removed for the pic)

Then the orifice is a simple brass cap that has a small orifice drilled in it that points up the throat of a larger diameter pipe.

There is a cap that slides over the flame and acts as a flame spreader for larger pans...

I fired this up in the sun, and I couldn't even see the flame...no dirty yellow flame, this baby put out a clean and super hot flame that I could neck down with the needle valve. Man, Simple is good, especially when it works like this. I'm gonna scrap the burner on my old one and turn out a double burner setup in the shop at work just for grins...I'll put that on the long list.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

When my burner craps out (probably another season) I'm gonna have bro weld me up one of those. Simple. I like it :{)
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Damn i thought it said turkey burgers...

Nifty job engineer...I will do it when mine pisses out...

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
        Damn i thought it said turkey burgers...:
        I thought it was just me...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Not the same brand, but mine is of the same design. I agree with keeping it simple.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
            simple is better . . . Simple is good,
            Are you sure you're a real engineer??

Just kidding.

Looks like a nice design without a lot of things that can go wrong.

Dave
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
              Man, Simple is good, especially when it works like this.
              Originally posted by DDave View Post
              Are you sure you're a real engineer??
              LOL

A pretty simple concept. I agree, it make more sense than the other one. Good score Dana.
              https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

I like simplicity and value. Sure can't beat that price. Good score!
                sigpic
                Smoke Vault 24

Comment

You are gonna end up doing something to that bad boy - it is in your DNA you cant just let it be
                  Scarbelly

Comment

Last year I was gonna have a low country boil, so fired up my TB. All I got was yellow flame (which dont get hot enough) and the food that sat in the pot and just soaked up way to much seasoning. Anyway after taking it apart, the problem was from them mud wasps that got down inside the burner and clogged it all up. Just wire brushed it and works perfect now. I like your new one.

Comment

Get down....Got me one I made long time back....same design...has a Zerk fitting for the gas....sound's like afterburner on a fighter & full gas!
                      Sunset Eagle Aviation
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarbelly View Post
                        You are gonna end up doing something to that bad boy - it is in your DNA you cant just let it be
                        Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                        Get down....Got me one I made long time back....same design...has a Zerk fitting for the gas....sound's like afterburner on a fighter & full gas!
                        Zerk Fitting Ehhh...Hmmmm Scarbelly might be right! The Wheels are turning already!

Mike, you are right...the jet sound of that thing is just cool...MORE POWER!
                        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

I have a burner like your old one... and I've gone through the same shit as you have. I did learn, however, that if I turn it upside down when I'm done using it, the ash falls out with a tap, and the rain doesn't fark it up. I am retiring it to strictly charcoal lighting, and I'm getting the Bayou Classic burner for the cooking. The Restaurant Store is around the corner from me, they have them for the same $40.00 you speak of... and no sales tax here in DE.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

This is funny, I have one new in the box...for about a year. I have 3 others and never had a reason to open it! Will now!
                            Mark
                            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

reading the pic of the box it doesnt say deep fry just boil and steam, i wonder why?

Comment

Working...
                              X